Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Soccer Thread

Sticksboi05

Raheem Sterling.

All pace.

Sounds like tried to do too much...the Courtois effect

Courtious was at the front post with Balo.  Whole goal was wide open.  He knodded it wide.

He's just been off today, brother.

So is Hendo going off to the wing?  He's not bad there going forward.

Raheem Sterling.

All pace.

Courtious was at the front post with Balo. Whole goal was wide open. He knodded it wide.

He's just been off today, brother.

So is Hendo going off to the wing? He's not bad there going forward.

Johnno? The two center back system?

Great idea until a championship side ends up in the Champions League. 

The idea would be that the chances of that would be extremely slim with the strong Premiership sides taking it much more seriously. If you win it you earn it, simple as that. 

Giving the winner of the FA Cup a Champions League spot obviously means that only the top 3 sides in the league get a spot, another advantage in my opinion. Makes the likes of Spurs, Arsenal etc. who have pretty much zero ambition to win the league push on and be that bit more competitive. 

• Like 2

It's funny when people confuse not wanting to win the league with not spending the money you don't have. 

Pretty flawed point. This the Arsenal that spent 80 million last summer? Unfortunately a signing like Danny Welbeck is not going to move your club on to the next level. 

Spurs have spent close to £250,000,000 the past 5 years, Arsenal have spent more. More than enough to build a competitive squad to challenge for a title if spent right. 

Arsenal have been a couple of signings away for a number of years now. Keep failing to make that push though. Money isn't the problem.

Owners know once they keep finishing in the top 4 the profits will keep rolling in. A bit of pressure put on them to have to finish in the top 3 and I bet you they'd find that money needed to buy the World Class striker they've needed for years, making them competitive with the likes of Chelsea and Man City in the process. Would do wonders for the league in my opinion. 

Edited by Morrison J
  • Like 1

Pretty flawed point. This the Arsenal that spent 80 million last summer? Unfortunately a signing like Danny Welbeck is not going to move your club on to the next level.

Spurs have spent close to £250,000,000 the past 5 years, Arsenal have spent more. More than enough to build a competitive squad to challenge for a title if spent right.

Arsenal have been a couple of signings away for a number of years now. Keep failing to make that push though. Money isn't the problem.

Owners know once they keep finishing in the top 4 the profits will keep rolling in. A bit of pressure put on them to have to finish in the top 3 and I bet you they'd find that money needed to buy the World Class striker they've needed for years, making them competitive with the likes of Chelsea and Man City in the process. Would do wonders for the league in my opinion.

Building and funding a state of the art stadium had nothing to do with that

Right.

Uh huh

So if it's a Chelski & Spurs final, I honestly don't know who I despise more...

It's like facing a choice of which testicle to have chopped off!

The Met will be PRAYING for Sheff. Utd to come through. 

Not that the rent boys against those pricks doesn't have the potential for aggro, but the Chavs against 'Spurs would be ugly. 

Worst hatred in London in my experience. And I include West Ham/ Millwall in that. 

Word is Sturridge will start vs West Ham this weekend, though.

I'd be surprised if he starts, but he's certainly penciled in to be back in some description. 

More interesting to me is if Mario even makes the bench with Daniel back. THAT will be telling. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven

Word is Sturridge will start vs West Ham this weekend, though.

Its going to take him a few weeks to get match fit and sharp - dont expect wonders from him out of the gate.

Watched the match yesterday with my two sons (one a Liverpool fan and one a Chelsea fan). Made for an 'interesting' evening in our house. I still have a headache.

Liverpool played well and are a bit unlucky - tactically they did very well. They kept Fabergas off the ball in possession and made Matic carry it and distribute and made Fabergas defend more than he wants to. They also defended very well - even Mingolet looked more assured than he has for a while.

Hazard was the best player on the pitch though and it was not close.

Edited by MartinC

TOTAL spend is not the same as NET spend. The past two years when we actually signed expensive players was the first two years we had the extra money and didn't need to balance the books more or less.

Since 2000/01 our NET spends have been:

£3.3M

£11M

£1M

£16.6M

£1.6M

£6.8M

a profit of £17M

£13.4M

a profit of £3.5M

a profit of £31M

£6.8M

a profit of £17.5M

£8.6M

£32.5M (Ozil)

£54.2M (Sanchez)

Spending has a high correlation to finishing position. In the same time period Chelsea has an annual net spend of £39.51M and Arsenal has an annual net spend of £5.68. And your lovely Spurs example, their average annual net spend is £7.04M for the same time period. 

Ambition is an awesome quality as long as you can spend almost 7x more than your rivals. 

Edited by Elessar78

That was easily one of the most entertaining 0-0 draws you will ever see. Kudos to the Belgian international keepers. They stole the show.

PS. Liverpool were pretty lucky that Michael Oliver forgot his contact lenses on a couple of occasions. :D

Edited by RawBBQSauce

Its going to take him a few weeks to get match fit and sharp - dont expect wonders from him out of the gate.

Watched the match yesterday with my two sons (one a Liverpool fan and one a Chelsea fan). Made for an 'interesting' evening in our house. I still have a headache.

Liverpool played well and are a bit unlucky - tactically they did very well. They kept Fabergas off the ball in possession and made Matic carry it and distribute and made Fabergas defend more than he wants to. They also defended very well - even Mingolet looked more assured than he has for a while.

Hazard was the best player on the pitch though and it was not close.

Oh I fully expect the expectations to be astronomical for Sturridge early on.  I'll temper it, myself.  But he's a guy who can keep his head in and around the 18.  The movement we've had in this system is gorgeous but there is just no finishing.  And to be fair this is honestly how I thought we'd look all year but I thought we'd find a way to nick a goal or two in off the dominance of possession in most matches.  

I agree, Hazard is something else and even that Mignolet has done well recently.

If you would've told me Chelsea would have 4 shots on target the whole two matches and we would've had over 20 I would've penciled us in.

PS. Liverpool were pretty lucky that Michael Oliver forgot his contact lenses on a couple of occasions. :D

Not going to let you troll the situation, but I will say if Oliver had his "contact lenses" Costa was gone in the first 10 minutes and Chelsea were down to 10 men.  Easily.

But like I said we he was the official for the Liverpool - Arsenal match last month, every single one of his games ends up like that.  And then tempers flair when he gives a yellow for some **** after guys are getting stomped on. 

I'd be surprised if he starts, but he's certainly penciled in to be back in some description. 

More interesting to me is if Mario even makes the bench with Daniel back. THAT will be telling. 

Hail. 

I lost total faith in him yesterday.  His situational awareness is just non-existant.  Sell him to the highest bidding MLS club.

While Daniel will be rusty and may take some time to score, I still believe he will have an immediate impact. First, Raheem will go back to the wing. Second, his pace along with Sterling's pace will open space up for Coutinho. He is a threat and defenders will concentrate on him, allowing other players more space. Finally, he will bring movement, energy and creativity...something the team has been lacking up front for a while.

I lost total faith in him yesterday. His situational awareness is just non-existant. Sell him to the highest bidding MLS club.

Them is fightin' words...

• Like 1

Them is fightin' words...

I hope Daniel can get something out of him.  I'm not holding out hope, though.  Last minute of stoppage and he has the ball on the touch line about 35 yards from the goal line.  Just sitting there with Hendo screaming for the ball.  Wasting time.

The good news, I think we are deep in the midfield for the first time in a couple of years and can focus on a striker or two next year (depending on what happens with Sinclair) and then another CB or two.  Should be in pretty good shape.

This is true on Henderson.

Lucas was a B/S booking. The ball goes not only a different direction, but a 45 friggin degree change of direction! How he couldn't of been deemed to of won the ball from a guy running in a straight, direct line up the pitch is baffling. The Costa non-penalty is a 'non' issue if Costa gets the straight red he should of 12 minutes in for a horrific stamp. 

To hear Mourinho only want to bring up the above in defense of Costa just added to the A1 prick he is. 

Hail. 

Edited by Gibbs Hog Heaven
  • Like 1

Sturridge has been out with a HAMstring injury coming back against West HAM. It's a bad omen.

This is true on Henderson.

Lucas was a B/S booking. The ball goes not only a different direction, but a 45 friggin 45 degree change of direction. How he couldn't of been deemed to of won the ball from a guy running in a straight, direct line up the pitch is baffling. The Costa non-penalty is a 'non' issue if Costa gets the straight red he should of 12 minutes in for a horrific stamp. 

To hear Mourinho only want to bring up the above in defense of Costa just added to the A1 prick he is. 

Hail. 

Well Costa prob getting a 3 match ban retroactively.

The foul on Oscar, I haven't seen a close up but, if he hits Oscar's boot before the ball would send it in that direction.

My earlier optimism for promotion looks like it will again be boned.  Terrible form of late from Rovers, now sitting in 10th.  Probably finish mid table again, which isn't terrible, but there's a lot of big wages on the books so there's going to have to be some folks shipped out soon to keep on the good side of FFP.

On the good news, at home vs Stoke in the FA Cup.  Would've preferred Rochdale, personally, as right now I can't count on much with this squad.  Just way too inconsistent.  But hey, take what we can get at this point.

Steve Birnbaum getting time with the USMNT vs Chile right now.  He's player really well in his first cap.  Not sure he's long for MLS.  Dude is a baller.

Zardes getting some time, too. 

I'm out with my kids and forgot to DVR the US v Chile match!! Anyone watching? How do the kids look? Any standouts?

Shea had a cracker off the wing in the 6th minute.  Solid strike.  Jozy got another one.

****, Chile just scored.  Gonzalez is getting used.  Birnbaum looks like the best defender with Jones and Gonzo out there in a 3-5-2.

Zardes is VERY fast and has a ton of movement.

Zardes is REALLY good, wow.

Bradley is in form with some of his services.  Wondo looks decent.