Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Re: NFL.com : Redskins, 'Hawks remain interested in trading for Bolts' Jackson / VJax signs tender & reports to the Bolts'...for now..(see post 3877)

Est.1974

I think what it comes down to, is next years draft.

If the FO is to target a WR in next years draft, would we be better served by using that 2nd round pick for a player of VJax caliber?

Or better off taking a chance on drafting a new stud ??

My vote is to get the guy who has some NFL experience, has proven he is capable to play at this level, and is still very young.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^pretty much why ultimately I don't want this move to happen. Because I know it will lead to that perception.

But see, you're worried about the "perception" of that move, AKA what everyone will say until we get to see whether it was the right move or not...not the actual move itself. What does that say?

But see, you're worried about the "perception" of that move, AKA what everyone will say until we get to see whether it was the right move or not...not the actual move itself. What does that say?

True. but I think I am also worried about what our own fanbase will say. I slept on this last night, and if we could get him for a second rounder, I would be alright with it. But again I just think SMith will want more partially to make it harder on Jackson. We all know that outside of this move or the Donovan trade that we need to stop trading away picks especially because we finally have a GM and Shanahan. WR's have always been something that Shanny has just always found one way or the other. So I feel a little more confident in our ability to draft a guy like Jackson in the second round. But if it's just a matter of one pick, I would be for it. But that's it. We have to stop trading away picks. That's the bottom line; no more trading picks for Brandon Lloyd. But I would trade a pick (singular) for Jackson. I just don't see Smith doing that though. He's content with letting Jackson poop in his hat this year because he knows Jackson needs to play more than he needs Jackson to play in the long run. Jackson only has so many years to sit out and lose revenue. The Chargers will have plenty of time to replace him.

"In fact, both face a real possibility of being cut. "

I'm sure there is a "real possibility" that they both get cut... whether real small or real large, the possibility exists..

Agreed. AJ isnt going to pay them the money. Its invitable. At some point they will be cut.

V-Jax to seattle is heating up...

Both the San Diego Union-Tribune and Seattle Times confirm that the Seahawks have indeed held contract-related conversations with unsigned Chargers restricted free agent Vincent Jackson.

A league source tells the Union-Trib that the sides have been in talks for "at least several days." "Nothing is considered imminent," according to the Seattle paper, though the Seahawks do have plenty of time to orchestrate a deal with Jackson suspended for the first three games of the regular season

The Chargers have granted the Seahawks permission to discuss contract terms with unsigned and disgruntled wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

The story is confirmed by Seahawks GM John Schneider, so it's legit. While Yahoo's Jason Cole admits that "no significant progress has occurred to this point," sources say Chargers GM A.J. Smith is "committed" to trading V-Jax. The Bolts are convinced he will not play for them this year. The Seahawks have clearly been underwhelmed with Deion Branch, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is hardly a difference maker anymore. Jackson would give Seattle a bonafide deep threat who can dominate in the red zone and run game as a blocker.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-jacksonseahawks082010

There is no way SD gets two 2nd round picks like denver got for Marshall.(Unless Seattle is that stupid.)

Brandon Marshall never had an adjustment year in the nfl his rookie season he had 100 catches an amazing feat. He has had 2 simialr seasons since. He had little to no slip in production in the 1st year after switching systems something not all players in the NFL can do. ALso he caught passes form 2 different QB's who both have played mediocre in years without him as their #1 wideout.

V-jax has caught passes from P. Rivers his whole career in the same system and it took him time to develop in the system to be as effective as he is. How anyone can say he is worth the same let alone more than B Marsh is beyond me.

There is no way SD gets two 2nd round picks like denver got for Marshall.(Unless Seattle is that stupid.)

Brandon Marshall never had an adjustment year in the nfl his rookie season he had 100 catches an amazing feat. He has had 2 simialr seasons since. He had little to no slip in production in the 1st year after switching systems something not all players in the NFL can do. ALso he caught passes form 2 different QB's who both have played mediocre in years without him as their #1 wideout.

V-jax has caught passes from P. Rivers his whole career in the same system and it took him time to develop in the system to be as effective as he is. How anyone can say he is worth the same let alone more than B Marsh is beyond me.

I agree that Brandon Marshall is the better WR.

But just a point of fact, Marshall only had 20 catches for 309 yards and 2 TD's his rookie year. So there was an adjustment period.

http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonmarshall/profile?id=MAR370922

Wouldn't that increase the chances that they will? They've obviously been looking into improving that receiving corps all offseason.

Actually if they didn't want to give up the goods for Marshall, it figures that they would be as trigger shy about Jackson.

Also their WR depth chart behind Houshmandzadeh looks deep with Deion Branch, Golden Tate, Deon Butler and Mike Williams. That's 5 receivers right there not to mention bubble guys.

However, saying that..

Vincent Jackson - WR Aug. 20 - 6:31 pm et

Both the San Diego Union-Tribune and Seattle Times confirm that the Seahawks have indeed held contract-related conversations with unsigned Chargers restricted free agent Vincent Jackson.

A league source tells the Union-Trib that the sides have been in talks for "at least several days." "Nothing is considered imminent," according to the Seattle paper, though the Seahawks do have plenty of time to orchestrate a deal with Jackson suspended for the first three games of the regular season.

Source: San Diego Union-Tribune

Related: Seahawks

You can clearly make a case for V-Jax getting the same amount of compensation because he's been a dominant force at WR. Marshall had a decent 1st year and then took off, Vincent Jackson did the same thing he had a bad first year and then he moved up the depth chart and so did his numbers. He in a sense has now moved into the upper echelon of WR's and is one of the few true #1's in the NFL. He's got the size, speed and strength to take on any CB and win a battle. I can see a team offering 2 2nd's for him if they feel he'll take them over the top and while I would make an offer for him I feel that if he stays in SD which right now is highly unlikely, that he'll be a FA and then we can go after him and save ourselves the draft pick(s)

Actually if they didn't want to give up the goods for Marshall, it figures that they would be as trigger shy about Jackson.

Also their WR depth chart behind Houshmandzadeh looks deep with Deion Branch, Golden Tate, Deon Butler and Mike Williams. That's 5 receivers right there not to mention bubble guys.

However, saying that..

Although OS you can make a case that theres not even a true #1 receiver on that team. Houshmandzadeh put up his big years as the #2 and only had a good year as a #1 receiver. Tate is better suited for the slot as is Branch and Butler is a #4 guy at best right now. Then you have Mike Williams who is the biggest X-factor on that roster because he has the skill set to be a dominant force at WR but he's never put it together. I could see why Seattle has looked into trading for him because they could feel the same way I do about their roster situation and Housh at the #2 is a more lethal threat than TJ as the #1.

However, saying that..

I took it more as, they just lost the bidding war to Miami. Even if a team sorely wants a player, everyone has the price that is just too high. Doesn't mean they aren't willing to jump back into another bidding war later in the offseason, if there is one.

I took it more as, they just lost the bidding war to Miami. Even if a team sorely wants a player, everyone has the price that is just too high. Doesn't mean they aren't willing to jump back into another bidding war later in the offseason, if there is one.

It's also possible Marshall didn't want to play in Seattle.

If a player isn't willing to talk contracts, there won't be dialogue between FO's...

This. I hope we get Jackson unless it gets to the point where we get in a ridiculous bidding war with Seattle and end up paying too much to get him.

This. I hope we get Jackson unless it gets to the point where we get in a ridiculous bidding war with Seattle and end up paying too much to get him.

I just read the article on ESPN saying that he wanted a 5 year deal worth $50 million, with $30 million guaranteed. You think with his off-field issues he's worth that much?

Archived