Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

member needs your suggestions

joeknows

Some bar foods/sandwiches from places near ball parks/stadiums.

San Diego - The fish taco is a must have at games.

Pittsburgh - Sandwiches in the Primanti Brothers style or deep fried pierogies.

New York - a real deli style sandwich - pastrami, corned beef, toungue or brisket - The Court Deli a few blocks up from Yankee Stadium makes the trip perfect.

Tampa - grouper sandwiches

Charlotte/Memphis/Kansas City/Houston - You could rotate 'que styles between the four major areas.

Some bar foods/sandwiches from places near ball parks/stadiums.

San Diego - The fish taco is a must have at games.

Pittsburgh - Sandwiches in the Primanti Brothers style or deep fried pierogies.

The fish has to be fried. Not grilled. It is not the same grilled.

Primanti's is a staple associated with Pittsburgh. Great place. Topped with fries and slaw. I skip the slaw.

Chili spaghetti is definitely delicious, and fits perfectly.

~Bang

I also agree that this is money. It's the only chili I make now, I just buy the Hard Times Cincinnati Chili Mix and make it at home.

For a bar/restaurant it would be extremely cheap to do.

One thing that I miss, that no one does around here is brown gravy for french fries, like you would get at a diner. Seems so simple to have for a bar.

(FWIW, there really is no signature food for DC, and there certainly isn't anything they make in Fedex that is worth mentioning.)

Dude, Ben's Chili Bowl is an icon!

Listen, man, i go to Ben's every once in a while, and I get a chili dog at Nationals park, but they aren't great. Their name precedes them at this point.

You want a better chili dog, go to Konstant's in Lexington Market. It's about 1000x better. Just saying.

Speaking of hot dogs, the dirty water dogs in NYC have a hot onion relish that is super easy to make. I always bring it to my tailgates if we're doing dogs.

1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil

1 medium onion, sliced thin and chopped

4 cups water

2 tablespoons tomato paste

2 teaspoons corn syrup

1 teaspoon cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

1/4 cup vinegar

You can use any oil, really. Let it simmer on the stove, add water when it reduces too much...it's that easy. Longer it simmers the better. These carts let is sit over the double boiler all day long. A NYC dog with onions, sauerkraut and mustard is pretty good.

If you're already doing Chicago dogs, then maybe not, but having a pot of this stuff on the side would be about as easy as it gets.

Dude, Ben's Chili Bowl is an icon!

That doesn't make chili dogs a D.C. food. That's like saying there's this place in Seattle that has been making great stuffed shells for decades, and therefore stuffed shells are a Seattle specialty.

From New England:

• Lobster roll (with NE split-top hot dog roll, buttered)
  • Roast Beef sandwich (on a plain or onion bulkie roll, super-thin sliced, served with these options: american cheese, sweet BBQ sauce, and raw white onion - I prefer all three)
  • NE Clam Chowder
  • As mentioned in a previous post, Italian sausage with peppers and onions is a specialty outside Fenway - check out The Sausage Guy, one of many who make those special sandwiches.

My other big regional favorite is Texas Red chili: no beans, just take the cheapest cuts of beef, cube, sear off and remove, saute onions then add back beef with beer and spices. I use cumin, garlic, Mex oregano, and a variety of hot and mild chilis. Ancho is the backbone. Cook at a bare simmer for 3 hours or so, and you've got heaven. Better on the 2nd or 3rd day for sure. Many restaurants try to do something like this and few get it right (in fact, almost none).

Another idea I had that came from making sushi with friends is to do Sushi BBQ (i.e. roll up things like brisket or pulled pork with sushi rice). I was saving that one for myself until I saw on TV that somebody is already doing it.

ok thanks all..... of the things mentioned i already have the following on the mennu

Memphis BBQ nachos <the grizzlies>

chicago style hot dog

texas chili cheese dog

coney island dog

buffalo wings

indiana fried tenderloin

philly steak and cheese <both beef and chicken>

the key to being successfull with your menu is to make multiple items from the same ingredients so, the beer brat is temporarily off the table.

i will post the entire menu when i get it finalized but many of yor suggestions are there already and many of them are not.

KEEP THE GREAT IDEAS COMMING!!!

ok thanks all..... of the things mentioned i already have the following on the mennu

Memphis BBQ nachos <the grizzlies>

chicago style hot dog

texas chili cheese dog

coney island dog

buffalo wings

indiana fried tenderloin

philly steak and cheese <both beef and chicken>

the key to being successfull with your menu is to make multiple items from the same ingredients so, the beer brat is temporarily off the table.

i will post the entire menu when i get it finalized but many of yor suggestions are there already and many of them are not.

KEEP THE GREAT IDEAS COMMING!!!

You need these: http://cleveland.about.com/od/favoriteneohiorecipes/r/sauerkrautballs.htm

sauerkrautballs-lancefishercc.jpg

My sister in-law made them for X-mas and they rule!:D Not sure if the links recipe is as good though.;)

the key to being successfull with your menu is to make multiple items from the same ingredients so

Well the real key to being successful is offering good food at a good price.

Everyone offers buffalo wings, but many places fail.

Hot dogs, meh. They better be good. I rarely go out to dinner for a dog, or to a bar for a dog. I don't know many places nationwide that can get away with bringing in customers for a hot dog. Your town included.

Philly cheesesteaks. Better be good. A good sub place can generate business. A bad sub place....bye bye.

Every restaurant of this type needs a good bacon cheeseburger, or a great burger in general, great nachos, great fries, and a good beer selection.

Silly food choices that are just a novelty are great for a visit or two but don't get people coming back for more.

Sports bars or "appetizer bars" are a dime a dozen. If you want to offer "regional" specialties, you better make them like the regional greats. Otherwise you are destined to fail.

Well the real key to being successful is offering good food at a good price.

Everyone offers buffalo wings, but many places fail.

Hot dogs, meh. They better be good. I rarely go out to dinner for a dog, or to a bar for a dog. I don't know many places nationwide that can get away with bringing in customers for a hot dog. Your town included.

Philly cheesesteaks. Better be good. A good sub place can generate business. A bad sub place....bye bye.

Every restaurant of this type needs a good bacon cheeseburger, or a great burger in general, great nachos, great fries, and a good beer selection.

Silly food choices that are just a novelty are great for a visit or two but don't get people coming back for more.

Sports bars or "appetizer bars" are a dime a dozen. If you want to offer "regional" specialties, you better make them like the regional greats. Otherwise you are destined to fail.

everything that you mention has been weighed and considered. our wings are truly authentic and we are going with fresh cut potatos for fries!

we will be posting the menu on the site within a few days...... when we do ill post an update here.

the beauty of what we are doing is..... there isnt anything like our concept within a 50 mile radius of here..... so we have no REAL competition for what we are doing. what we have here is probably not uncommon where many of you are but here it is a rarity.

Archived