Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Dez Bryant refuses to carry Williams' pads

x96bryan10

It happens in all the major sports. Rookies are hazed, and have to earn the respect of Vets on the team. Watch this video. Scottie Pippen, Shaq, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, and many more paid their due. This happens in the NFL, MLB, and NHL.

ZukVN_djZds

Part of sports.

There is a difference between chemistry and getting along with everyone. Ray Rice and Ray lewis get along with each other, but do they need to have on field chemistry???

They're not really on the field together very often. :silly:

At the end of the day what are the Cowboys going to do??? Suspend him? Fine him? Cut him? Are the players gonna beat up on him? You guys remember that Roy Williams quote about tipping the pizza man???

They could suspend or fine him for conduct detrimental to the team, I suppose, but I get what you're saying.

What quote about the pizza man?

I mean its Roy Williams what has he done for the Cowboys?? Thats why they drafted bryant.

If austin or witten would have said asked him to carry pads and he didnt then I could understand why everyone upset. But this is Roy Williams we talking about here.

I don't think carrying pads constitutes anything as dangerous. My guess is you did indeed participate in fraternity hazing, which is why you were allowed in. I don't know one that hasn't and got in.

Point is, mine was social club, not my profession. I could have refused to do any of it and not gotten in and it wouldn't have had an effect on my standing one bit. I also drew the line at certain things.

My assurances are based on the fact it's a tradition with every team in the NFL, and that no one person is above this tradition. In fact, Phillip Daniels has a thread that he answers questions. Ask him what the players feel in regards to this if you don't believe me.

I doubt Williams gives a **** one way or another, he's getting his guaranteed salary this year regardless if he starts or not.

Why should the tradition continue? Just because past players went through it doesn't mean today's players should go through it. No one person is above this tradition? You act like there is an ironclad contract on paper that says all rookies must be hazed. Daniels may like to haze, but I bet all players don't participate. I think there was an article about the Redskins rookies getting hazed a couple of seasons ago and they asked some of the players about it and some of them said they don't get into that, it's not their thing. I doubt there's 100% participation amongst the veterans. Probably just a select few jackasses on the team that feel they should bully first year players.

I mean its Roy Williams what has he done for the Cowboys?? Thats why they drafted bryant.

If austin or witten would have said asked him to carry pads and he didnt then I could understand why everyone upset. But this is Roy Williams we talking about here.

Not a very special first post...please, keep trying.

A lot of you guys are missing the whole point of the thing. It's a respect thing. Every single player that I've heard talk about it today on the radio has said the same thing. For him to refuse to do it is sending the message that he's better than anybody that ever came before him and did it. If guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin carried shoulder pads, then Dez Bryant can do it. You're not making any friends by refusing it. And whether it was Roy Williams or not makes no difference. Dez still has to earn that spot. Roy is still the veteran. And where does it go from here? Is he gonna refuse to do any rookie hazing or just the things he feels like doing? Cuz that will send a bad message, too. He's gonna have a bullseye on him now. He's gonna get his from the veterans I guarantee it.

A lot of you guys are missing the whole point of the thing. It's a respect thing. Every single player that I've heard talk about it today on the radio has said the same thing. For him to refuse to do it is sending the message that he's better than anybody that ever came before him and did it. If guys like Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin carried shoulder pads, then Dez Bryant can do it. You're not making any friends by refusing it. And whether it was Roy Williams or not makes no difference. Dez still has to earn that spot. Roy is still the veteran. And where does it go from here? Is he gonna refuse to do any rookie hazing or just the things he feels like doing? Cuz that will send a bad message, too. He's gonna have a bullseye on him now. He's gonna get his from the veterans I guarantee it.

Very, very true.

If a rookie doesn't want to fit in, he'll end up paying.

There's no respect at all. He already taking crap from veterans so they aren't his friends anyway. I find carrying someone else pads as disrespectful. Jerry and Michael chose to carry shoulder pads. They can dislike him all he wants to, they'll get over it. Should focus on trying to win a championship, not trying to make life miserable for a rookie. It's a stupid tradition.

There's no respect at all. He already taking crap from veterans so they aren't his friends anyway. I find carrying someone else pads as disrespectful. Jerry and Michael chose to carry shoulder pads. They can dislike him all he wants to, they'll get over it. Should focus on trying to win a championship, not trying to make life miserable for a rookie. It's a stupid tradition.

It doesn't matter if it's stupid. Look man, ex players and current players alike say that you just do it otherwise you'll lose respect. Carrying somebodies pads isn't gonna get in the way of you making an impact in the game. It's not taking any focus away from anything. What it does do, is build camaraderie. How hard is it to carry some pads from the field to the lockerroom. It's really that much of an imposition? Lots of traditions are stupid, but out of respect for those that have come before you, you continue it.

Here are some tweets by Aaron Rodgers

Herm Edwards on espnews agrees with me. Thanks coach

about 2 hours ago via Twitterrific

Reply Retweet . Means keeping quiet n being in the right place at the right time n showing respect to the vets as long as it's appropriate

Reply Retweet . No ones gonna get taped to a goalpost in gb or beat up but young guys should show some respect to the older guys and being a good rookie...

Reply Retweet . Picking up some dinner bills, having a few pranks pulled on u n, doing some odd jobs for the vets is a small price to pay to gain respect

about 3 hours ago via Twitterrific

Reply Retweet . Type in grind into freedictionary, it was many different uses

about 3 hours ago via Twitterrific

Reply Retweet . Every rookie gets hazed. There should be a rite of passage. Btw when did "grind" become a negative term?? Chill out folks

I agree with Armchair, He's definitely sent a message to the vets that he thinks he's better than the traditions of the league.

As to those saying "they should be concentrating on a championship and not some stupid rooke hazing blah blah blah.." The championship requires a team, and team requires cameraderie. This and other traditions has built this cameraderie for teams throughout the history of the NFL... but Dez is above it.

Actually, if he just refused to carry Roy Williams' pads, I can understand. I think if it were me, I'd ask Williams if he could manage to carry a pro receiver's jock strap first.

I wonder,, should the Redskins tape Trent Williams to a goalpost, will we complain and holler about how unprofessional it is?

~Bang

Dez Bryant just made it harder on himself and is now viewed in a negative light across the league for refusing to carry shoulder pads....and the whole "i'm here to win championships" is BS because carrying the pads or whatever else has nothing to do with wining of losing.

Don't take it personally, hazing is just part of your first year. You're not that special!

I agree with Armchair, He's definitely sent a message to the vets that he thinks he's better than the traditions of the league.

As to those saying "they should be concentrating on a championship and not some stupid rooke hazing blah blah blah.." The championship requires a team, and team requires cameraderie. This and other traditions has built this cameraderie for teams throughout the history of the NFL... but Dez is above it.

~Bang

I agree.

Was it unprofessional not to put feathers on Art Monk's helmet until he earned them when he was a rookie?

Dez Bryant is your classic knucklehead. So he'll fit right in with Dallas.

Dez Bryant just made it harder on himself and is now viewed in a negative light across the league for refusing to carry shoulder pads....and the whole "i'm here to win championships" is BS because carrying the pads or whatever else has nothing to do with wining or losing.

Don't take it personally, hazing is just part of your first year. You're not that special!

When he refuses to participate in entire rookie hazing rituals, that's a story.

It does matter that it's Roy Williams that we're talking about. He's on the fringe of the roster and Bryant is there to take his spot opposite from Austin. He wanted to put Bryant in his place and act like the tough veteran making the rookie carry his pads, and it blew up in his face, deservedly so.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

The only people talking about Bryant being "above the team" or "better than the veterans" are either letting their biases against Dallas show, or just spouting off generic sports/camaraderie rah-rah BS.

Bryant paying for all of the WRs' dinners one night, or carrying all of their pads in= acceptable. Welcome to the unit, rookie, this is the message from all of us.

Bryant being taken aside by the one scrub who probably feels worried about his job security and getting asked to do something specifically for him in front of people= not acceptable. Williams is a clown.

The message makes a difference when you evaluate who it's coming from and why.

Once we all hear about Bryant blowing off a large team tradition from a group of veterans, than ok. Until that happens, the only stories about Bryant on the Cowboys so far are that he stays late to sign autographs, runs around giving high fives to fans, was there early to start practice, and he just talks about focusing on winning championships.

And he won't hold Roy Williams' pocket.

I'm just not buying the "hazing bring teams together" thing. It is actually kinda funny that you guys actually believe this. This carrying of the veteran pads is veterans trying to avoid any extra work in the hot sun. Its not "hey carry my pads so we can bond as a team" more like "oh look some rookie chump..carry my stuff".

Dez is a grown ass man so you have to side with him. Its not written on his contract that he has to carry pads. If his teammates don't like him...so what. Just be buddies with Romo sits to pee and the coaches and do your job effectively. As a WR that is all he has to worry about...

It doesn't matter if it's stupid. Look man, ex players and current players alike say that you just do it otherwise you'll lose respect. Carrying somebodies pads isn't gonna get in the way of you making an impact in the game. It's not taking any focus away from anything. What it does do, is build camaraderie. How hard is it to carry some pads from the field to the lockerroom. It's really that much of an imposition? Lots of traditions are stupid, but out of respect for those that have come before you, you continue it.

Here are some tweets by Aaron Rodgers

Packers draft picks Bulaga and Neal both responded their agreement with Rodgers over twitter.

to add to that, Aaron also had this to say explicitly about Bryant:

“Bryant needs to lighten up and understand that carrying a helmet is less about hazing and more about showing respect for established teammates who are welcoming you to their circle.”

Packers draft picks Bulaga and Neal both responded their agreement with Rodgers over twitter.

to add to that, Aaron also had this to say explicitly about Bryant:

“Bryant needs to lighten up and understand that carrying a helmet is less about hazing and more about showing respect for established teammates who are welcoming you to their circle.”

hard to disagree with this...

My first thought: "I have a $100 right here for the first person to knock that loud mouth sum a ***** out" :D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UJYAQtNwwg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UJYAQtNwwg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PS: I'm hoping its Landry, or Doughty, or Horton, etc...

Archived