Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Dez Bryant refuses to carry Williams' pads

x96bryan10

What exactly will Dez Bryant be learning from carrying Roy's shoulder pads? And those are things minors are forced to do by their parents not grown men telling another grown man he needs to carry his belongings.

And comparing what one learns growing up through people (mostly parents or teachers, people who have actual authority) teaching them basic life lessons to the Dez Bryant situation is way off base.

It's Dez's choice, I'm sure he made it knowing full well the consequences he may face and i'm pretty sure he doesn't care.(yet)

Coaches ARE teachers and do have authority. Its not a comparison, it's the same thing. What a rookie learns is "welcome to the big leagues. You are no longer the college rock star celebrity, you are the new guy watch, listen and learn".

You'll get one day after college and you get out into the real world.

Let's see..

First Article on Dez Bryant was "1st player on field for Cowboys"!

''I'm just ready to play, that's the message,'' Bryant said. ''I'm ready to do WHATEVER they ask me to do. I'm here to work hard, I'm here to give 100 percent, just bring my A-game.''

Next story...

Rookie receiver Dez Bryant said he is in training camp to catch passes, not carry somebody else's shoulder pads after practice.

Team Chemistry shot ot hell!

Maybe the dude is the next Randy Moss on the field who knows for sure..but this is not a good start for any rookie. You just don't walk on to an NFL field and say "I am here I have arrived"..Kiss my arse please!

Believe me this is just the start and I was totally willing to believe Bryant was shafted by the press and was a good pickup for dallas.

I was actualy a little worried they finally made a great pick for once.

Not anymore. This is a TEAM sport...period.

Next thing you know he will be moaning and graoning about Wade Phillips not starting him week one!..LOL

Dallas fans are trying to shake it off...Yeah that rookie hazing thing is stupid anyway..LOL

Luv Ya DEZ! :laugh: Thanks from a Skins fan.

dont hold back, what do you really think of him?

He's a clown

Just like Jeremy Shockey

Do you remember when Shockey refused to sing at the minicamp and started a fight about it :ols:

IIRC Sean Taylor was not too enthused too about hazing too, they gave him a pie once and he got mad

Hazing is a part of the game and has been for decades, I don't know why rookies have such a problem with it nowadays.

I DON'T WANT TO BE HAZED

I'M HERE TO BE ON A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM

NOT TO BE HAZED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

I'M SPECIAL

He's a clown

Just like Jeremy Shockey

Do you remember when Shockey refused to sing at the minicamp and started a fight about it :ols:

IIRC Sean Taylor was not too enthused too about hazing too, they gave him a pie once and he got mad

Hazing is a part of the game and has been for decades, I don't know why rookies have such a problem with it nowadays.

I DON'T WANT TO BE HAZED

I'M HERE TO BE ON A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM

NOT TO BE HAZED LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

I'M SPECIAL

Someone tried to haze Sean T. ?!?!? Who was that fool ?

Since the power just came on I'll be brief

He's a ****ing idiot and everyone gets hazed, accept your hazing rookie

Except it's not rookie hazing when it's just one guy (who happens to be the guy the rookie was drafted to replace) making a big deal out of trying to get said rookie to do something only for him.

Again- Bryant's response was that he's there to play football and help Dallas win championships. Williams is busy talking about how people's credit cards get stolen as punishment and how he might take it to an ominous "step two." One person comes across as the bigger man in that, and it's not the rookie with "character issues."

Except it's not rookie hazing when it's just one guy (who happens to be the guy the rookie was drafted to replace) making a big deal out of trying to get said rookie to do something only for him.

Again- Bryant's response was that he's there to play football and help Dallas win championships. Williams is busy talking about how people's credit cards get stolen as punishment and how he might take it to an ominous "step two." One person comes across as the bigger man in that, and it's not the rookie with "character issues."

I assure you, the whole team feels the same way as Williams (minus the rookies) does on this matter. It's a right of passage. Nobody is exempt.

This just confirms the concerns teams had with his character prior to the draft. This signals....not a team player....feels he's exempt from anything that doesn't benefit him....etc..

I'm with Dez Bryant all the way...

hazing grown men my ass

carrying the pads for a player you are going to replace in 5 games my ass

look at this quote...

"As for the question of whether Bryant could push Roy Williams out of a job, DallasCowboys.com points out that Williams was jeered by fans after dropping a pass, and that Bryant followed up Williams' drop with two good catches."

Forget all that tradition and team chemistry garbage...Bryant only need to have chemistry with his coaches and Romo sits to pee.

Regardless of who is right and who is wrong, the bottom line is there is drama in little d. Its only what, like the 2nd or 3rd day at camp?? Gotta love it if your a skins fan. Whenever they are not talking about football at training camp, thats a distraction. Will it amount to anything? Who knows, but for right now Ill take it.

Let's see..

First Article on Dez Bryant was "1st player on field for Cowboys"!

''I'm just ready to play, that's the message,'' Bryant said. ''I'm ready to do WHATEVER they ask me to do. I'm here to work hard, I'm here to give 100 percent, just bring my A-game.''

Next story...

Rookie receiver Dez Bryant said he is in training camp to catch passes, not carry somebody else's shoulder pads after practice.

Team Chemistry shot ot hell!

Maybe the dude is the next Randy Moss on the field who knows for sure..but this is not a good start for any rookie. You just don't walk on to an NFL field and say "I am here I have arrived"..Kiss my arse please!

Believe me this is just the start and I was totally willing to believe Bryant was shafted by the press and was a good pickup for dallas.

I was actualy a little worried they finally made a great pick for once.

Not anymore. This is a TEAM sport...period.

Next thing you know he will be moaning and graoning about Wade Phillips not starting him week one!..LOL

Dallas fans are trying to shake it off...Yeah that rookie hazing thing is stupid anyway..LOL

Luv Ya DEZ! :laugh: Thanks from a Skins fan.

Doing "whatever they ask me to do" shouldn't include being asked to be a chump for the guy you're replacing, because he sucks and can't live up to his contract.

Being asked to carry Williams' pads, Austins' pads, Crayton's pads, Hurd's pads, etc. would make more sense. Being asked to do something for the rest of the guys in his position unit.

People are really missing the point with that in this thread (probably because it's the Cowboys and a lot of people have the blinders on for our rivals). There's a difference between group "induction" and hazing to bring the new guy in with everyone, and basically being asked to be one guy's ******, which is what Williams was doing.

Roy Williams isn't the "TEAM." He's probably not even going to be on the team next year because of Bryant.

You mean when LaVar Arrington blinded Taylor with that dumb pie stunt?

There's another good example of one moronic overrated player trying to "break in" the rookie on his own and coming off looking like a dumbass instead.

Actually it is called a RITE of passage.

WRONG!

Actually it's called RICE of Passage...just ask Emmit Smith :ols:

Back on topic....

Hate it or not Rookie hazing is part of the NFL, Dez needs to just shut his mouth and and be a team player as long as the hazing doesn't go over board.

I assure you, the whole team feels the same way as Williams (minus the rookies) does on this matter. It's a right of passage. Nobody is exempt.

This just confirms the concerns teams had with his character prior to the draft. This signals....not a team player....feels he's exempt from anything that doesn't benefit him....etc..

What are your assurances based on?

Miles Austin apparently carries his own pads. He's not mentioned having anything to do with this.

Probably because he doesn't feel threatened by Bryant's presence and didn't want to make a big scene about trying to put the rookie "in his place."

I'm sure the receivers or offense as a whole were going to have the rookies buy them dinner, or some talent show, or singing act, or whatever.

But one guy acting on his own, like Williams did according to the reports, doesn't constitute team hazing or any rite of passage. It just constitutes being a dick.

Totally agree.. for anyone whos ever played football themselves they know hazing is just a part of it.

Why does it have to be a part of it? These guys are adults and professionals. I don't think it builds team chemistry. If anything, making someone do stupid things will alienate them. I pledged a fraternity and none of the stupid things I had to do made me want to be a part of the group. I did it (if it was within reason) in order to pass through. But I think buliding team chemistry comes from being on the field together, not being another players lackey.

I'm guessing you never played organized team sports.

The proverbiable cliched response. And you know this how?

Why does it have to be a part of it? These guys are adults and professionals. I don't think it builds team chemistry. If anything, making someone do stupid things will alienate them. I pledged a fraternity and none of the stupid things I had to do made me want to be a part of the group. I did it (if it was within reason) in order to pass through. But I think buliding team chemistry comes from being on the field together, not being another players lackey.

The proverbiable cliched response. And you know this how?

Best response so far. Chemistry will be built on the battle field, not fiedling someones ego and hazing.

Exactly.

Hazing is dumb and doesn't really do anything. It only happens because guys had it done to them when they were rookies, and the guys who hazed them had it done to them before that, and those guys had it done to them, etc.

Team hazing, like getting the new rookie OL to buy dinner for all of the veteran OL, isn't so bad. But one guy asking the rookie to do something for him is a different level. There's no lesson learned there.

You know what's going to build chemistry for the offense? When Bryant goes out and catches TDs in games. And then nobody is going to look back on this and care. Except maybe Roy Williams, who'll be busy sitting on the bench watching Bryant take his snaps.

It happens in all the major sports. Rookies are hazed, and have to earn the respect of Vets on the team. Watch this video. Scottie Pippen, Shaq, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, and many more paid their due. This happens in the NFL, MLB, and NHL.

gFSkgBJHZjo

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYzP6ZzpAug&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYzP6ZzpAug&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2g-T37RKYOY

And I'll add that the fact that Roy Williams wants to go to "Step 2" which may or may not include credit cards, shows he not serious about his job to improve on his dismal season. He's more interested in playing childish hazing games. Maybe he ought to put his mind to better use in the playbook or in the practice field instead of devising new ways to "get the rookies."

I'd rather the rookie earn my respect with his on the field performance and not by carrying my pads. Carrying my pads won't win a SB.

And by the way, I let my fraternity know up front, I will not do anything I think is too dangerous or ignorant because you need me more than I need you. It was fun being in a fraternity, but my education was my main goal. And guess what? I passed through the fraternity and I'm a Pi Kappa Phi alum.

What are your assurances based on?

Miles Austin apparently carries his own pads. He's not mentioned having anything to do with this.

Probably because he doesn't feel threatened by Bryant's presence and didn't want to make a big scene about trying to put the rookie "in his place."

I'm sure the receivers or offense as a whole were going to have the rookies buy them dinner, or some talent show, or singing act, or whatever.

But one guy acting on his own, like Williams did according to the reports, doesn't constitute team hazing or any rite of passage. It just constitutes being a dick.

My assurances are based on the fact it's a tradition with every team in the NFL, and that no one person is above this tradition. In fact, Phillip Daniels has a thread that he answers questions. Ask him what the players feel in regards to this if you don't believe me.

I doubt Williams gives a **** one way or another, he's getting his guaranteed salary this year regardless if he starts or not.

There is a difference between chemistry and getting along with everyone. Ray Rice and Ray lewis get along with each other, but do they need to have on field chemistry???

No, but you don't see Ray Rice acting as he's above tradition that's been in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB sports for ages.

My guess if Ray Rice would have done anything remotely what Dez is going, he would have got put in place by Ray Lewis. I can assure you of that.

And by the way, I let my fraternity know up front, I will not do anything I think is too dangerous or ignorant because you need me more than I need you. It was fun being in a fraternity, but my education was my main goal. And guess what? I passed through the fraternity and I'm a Pi Kappa Phi alum.

I don't think carrying pads constitutes anything as dangerous. My guess is you did indeed participate in fraternity hazing, which is why you were allowed in. I don't know one that hasn't and got in.

No, but you don't see Ray Rice acting as he's above tradition that's been in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB sports for ages.

My guess if Ray Rice would have done anything remotely what Dez is going, he would have got put in place by Ray Lewis. I can assure you of that.

I don't think it is a "i'm am better than you" situation. He came there to play football. You go to school to get a education, not to run errands for your teacher. Or its not my job to go fetch the ball when its out of bounds in basketball, that is the ref job (yes I am talking to you fat, lazy refs that take part in middle school basketball)

Archived