Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Dez Bryant refuses to carry Williams' pads

x96bryan10

Yeah, but never for long...teams keep dropping him like dog **** lol...(not that it has anything to do with what we're talking about)

Yep, but I think it maybe does have some bearing. One's ability to integrate with the team is important, and TO clearly has failed in that regard. And I think the same could be said about the hazing, in that it is an important part of integration.

I feel like it shouldn't be an important part of integration, but I get that it certainly is in today's pro sports culture.

Sure it might not functionally matter, but none of what we say here on this internet message board matters. I'm simply calling out things that I disagree with for the purposes of discussion. But I will also add that, "that's just the way it is", doesn't justify something that is wrong. Slavery was accepted culture for quite some time, but that didn't make it right.

You can't conceivably be comparing slavery to carrying pads for somebody. Lets keep this somewhat in perspective.

Listen, lots of traditions are stupid. Telling your young kids that there's a guy that drives a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer who keeps tabs on you all year and then brings you presents via a chimney entrance if you're good, for instance. That doesn't mean it's bad to continue it.

If this were about Roy asking Dez to kneel down and kiss his hand you might have a point, but it's carrying pads, man. Just carrying pads. Dez should have carried them. That's bottome line. I'd argue that he looks like more of a ***** for not carrying them then he would have had he just nutted up and carried them. It really is a small price to pay to gain acceptance.

Looks like Bryant will be making amends soon. With some delicious McDonalds! :drool:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5413827

SAN ANTONIO -- Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant said he didn't know about the tradition of carrying a veteran's shoulder pads, and said Tuesday that he will take care of the matter.

Speaking to reporters while he signed autographs following Tuesday morning's practice, Bryant said the media was trying to damage his relationship with teammate Roy Williams.

From the opening practice, Williams had said Bryant has to carry his shoulder pads. But Bryant refused to do so, saying he's here to just play football.

"I didn't know nothing about no tradition," Bryant said. "The only thing about me ... when I try to do something right, ya'll try and turn it negative and I don't feel like that's right. I'm trying my best to do the right thing but it seems like I can't do the right thing because every little thing that I do ya'll watching it and try to make a big deal out of it."

On Monday afternoon, Bryant met with former NFL player and current television analyst Rodney Harrison, who said the rookie needs to carry the pads if asked by a veteran.

"I said this is a situation where this is a custom and a ritual that's been around before you were even born," Harrison said in recalling his conversation with Bryant. "I had to do it and everybody had to do it."

Bryant told Harrison he was disappointed in how the situation became public.

Williams and Bryant said the incident is over and there are no issues between them. One of owner Jerry Jones' grandsons carried Bryant's pads to the locker room and then helped Williams take his pads off following Tuesday morning's practice.

"In his defense, he said, 'You know Rod, I didn't know it would be blown up like this,' " Harrison said. "I told him, 'You're Dez Bryant and anything the media can do, they will do to make you look like a bad guy. You can't do this. You have to show humility and walk up to him and say, I'm going to carry your pads.' He said it's not going to be a problem. It's nipped in the bud. It's a done deal."

If Bryant doesn't carry Williams' shoulder pads, then he will take Williams out to dinner during a break in camp.

"We'll make sure that's no problem ... maybe McDonald's," Williams said.

The issue between Bryant and Williams apparently occurred when the veteran first approached him. Bryant didn't like Williams' tone and -- combined with the fact he didn't know about carrying pads -- that led to the confusion.

"We're fine. It's not even a situation," Bryant said. "Me and Roy is great. Not only me and Roy, but the whole team. Ya'll trying to turn us against each other."

Dallas Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant said he didn't know about the tradition of carrying a veteran's shoulder pads

How does a first round pick not know about that tradition?

I'm raising the :bsflag:flag on this one.

He's trying to play it stupid, and it's working all too well...

Am I the only one who finds this hilarious?

Oh please, if this were Trent Williams you would be hammering this board with it.

The fact is Dez Bryant acted like a self-centered prima donna and would have continued to do so if enough people hadn't made a huge story out of it. He didn't respect the veterans or the traditions of the team enough to pay his dues. It wasn't until several veterans outside the program talked to him as well as the Cowboy's PR staff that he toed the line. It's not a huge story but it is telling. It reminds me of Armando Benitez throwing a fit when he was treated similarly as a rookie with the Os.

You can't conceivably be comparing slavery to carrying pads for somebody. Lets keep this somewhat in perspective.

Agreed. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate that being the status quo alone doesn't make something right. Many wrong things are accepted, and should be challenged as such.

Oh please, if this were Trent Williams you would be hammering this board with it.

The fact is Dez Bryant acted like a self-centered prima donna and would have continued to do so if enough people hadn't made a huge story out of it. He didn't respect the veterans or the traditions of the team enough to pay his dues. It wasn't until several veterans outside the program talked to him as well as the Cowboy's PR staff that he toed the line. It's not a huge story but it is telling. It reminds me of Armando Benitez throwing a fit when he was treated similarly as a rookie with the Os.

Oh please. If it were Trent Williams I would laugh as well.

Like Shockey not singing other Alma maters? Josh Hamilton not getting alcohol for the teammates? Not a big deal.

Who is to say he won't get his head shaved? Ice water dumped on him? Taped to the field goal?

People get caught to much into what these guys do and argue over petty things they cannot control.

If anything, Roy should be carrying Dez's equipment since Roy will be watching from the sidelines. :ols:

On PTI just now, they said that Wade Phillips said he was against the idea of hazing. That it was not necessary.

Tony K had an interesting take on it. He said that with Phillips taking that position, he was basically choosing Bryant over Williams. :ols:

Thought that was pretty amusing. :)

I agree with Bryant on this one. I wouldn't do it either. Screw stupid crap like that. Like he said, he's there to play football, not carry someone's pads.

Yea, like the whole tradition of a rookie carrying pads is supposed to get wiped out overnight for all 32 teams, and Dez Bryant will be the man torevolutionize it.

i think if it would have been any other player besides the one he is in competition with he wouldnt have made such a fuss about it. roy doesnt like the kid because he is the new gun coming to take his job and dez knows it.

now on the other hand, dez is a punk. he is the same kid who signed a deal with under armour and didnt realize that he should probably wear the gear too. i really dont think he put on 88 because he is humble and ready to be a team player. he wants to be "the guy" and he wants everyone to treat him like that now. problem is he hasnt even played one down.

I always thought hazing was patronizing and idiotic. Especially in the NFL. This isn't high school or college ball. Any one of these guys could get cut at any moment and another guy brought in.

It's NOT hazing!

:beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse::beatdeadhorse:

And with the Dez Bryant-Roy Williams-shoulder pads saga ongoing, I asked Schlereth about Shanahan’s stance on rookie hazing/rite of passage/etc. I’m sure we’ll find out more when Shanahan meets with media tomorrow, but Schlereth said that Shanahan is in favor of upholding traditions.

“He understands the game,” Schlereth said. “He understands what you do as a veteran player. He gets that. He’s all for it. That’s part of the deal.”

http://blogs.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2010/07/27/mark-schlereth-mike-shanahans-training-camp-is-about-tempo/

RedskinsDotCom

Rookie Trent Williams carried DeAngelo Hall's helmet and pads off the field. No problem for Williams: "I can carry pads all day long."

half a minute ago via web

https://twitter.com/RedskinsDotCom/status/19917318388

Haha, the Anti-Dez Bryant

Oh my god! How degrading for Trent! How dare DeAngelo have the gall to treat him like a sub human like that? It's a professional place of work! Somebody alert the ACLU

Archived