Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Dez Bryant refuses to carry Williams' pads

x96bryan10

So now the players in the locker-room and the fans have a choice, side with Bryant - the Rook, or Williams - the Vet. I love to hear about a divided locker-room in cowgirl land already. You know the media will ask the questions and make the players choose sides. It's already happening here.:ols:

Totally agree.. for anyone whos ever played football themselves they know hazing is just a part of it.
I'm guessing you never played organized team sports.
I played the game. And hazing, on ANY level, is just stupid.

BUbble screen I Couldnt agree more. :cheers:

i have played football soccer and baseball at a H.S. level. And currently playing football for ODU.And let me tell you i did nothing for the starting tight end before me except take his job. And im sure me and my coahces couldnt be happier.

And i would not stand for anyone on my team being treated less than an equal. America had slaves for quite a few decades back then in the 1700 and 1800's just because it has always been that way doesn't make it right. NO one absolutely no one ahs done anything to deserve to be degraded in front of other players for a few laughs or "right of tradition". Being a solid human being comes first.

I know he didn't tell anyone to **** off. It was part of my point. His refusal to carry the pads could convey that message. No my Thomas example is not weak. While Thomas didn't have the hype that Bryant is getting, a rookie is a rookie is a rookie.

We will never agree on the hazing point. I played sports growing up. Hazing is part of being on a team, Redskins or Cowboys.

Yes your thomas example is weak because every individual has the right to his own life ( the point he was trying to make is that it doesn't matter who it is thomas or bryant)and whether or not to carry the pads is just 1 of many thousands of choices he will make. If thomas would have said no, He is his own man and has the right to make his choices. NO where in his contract does it say i will be Santanna's *****

Anybody think RAK wanted to be be taped to the goal post last year? Nope but he did it for team chemistry...Hazing is part of football and I agree with the poster that said if you don't agree with that you never played the game. Williams didn't ask Bryant to drink 40 beers and go streaking up through the quad and to the gymnasium. He wanted his pads carried.... So I can see this getting out of hand maybe if Williams has to go to step 5 or 6 maybe criminal charges for aggravated sexual assult will be in order :silly: either way already fighting in Big d gotta love that. HTTR

Another great point but Brian made his own choice to go through with it no one forced him. How many of you would have him in the non- fan favorite category or say he's bad for team chemistry because he refused to let someone ducktape him in

place for a few hours? I'll tell you the answer :NONE.

BUbble screen I Couldnt agree more. :cheers:

i have played football soccer and baseball at a H.S. level. And currently playing football for ODU.And let me tell you i did nothing for the starting tight end before me except take his job. And im sure me and my coahces couldnt be happier.

And i would not stand for anyone on my team being treated less than an equal. America had slaves for quite a few decades back then in the 1700 and 1800's just because it has always been that way doesn't make it right. NO one absolutely no one ahs done anything to deserve to be degraded in front of other players for a few laughs or "right of tradition". Being a solid human being comes first.

There is so much fail in your post that I don't know where to start.

Fraternity hazing and the hazing we're discussing are completely different. NFL style is not degrading in the least.

And what the F does slavery have to do with pro football? The two couldn't be further apart. And for the record, the abhorrent practice of slavery didn't last a few decades in the u.s. , it didn't begin in the 18th century, and we didn't invent it.

At first I want to say go ahead and carry the guys pads but then again its Roy "Stole Millions" Williams.

It seems like dez has been doing everything right since going to Dallas so I doubt this hurts them unfortunately.

We are grasping if we think it means anything.:helmet:

Mark Schlereth clowning Williams on Twitter over this:

Dez will get his cuz that's how it goes but ya gotta love what he said, I'm here to play FB not carry pads. Stay tuned could get ugly

about 1 hour ago via UberTwitter

RT @doedwards: @markschlereth players have been picking up after Roy Williams his entire career? Maybe he should carry his own luggage

about 2 hours ago via UberTwitter

RT @facook: @markschlereth Would you carry the pads of the guy whose job you had already seized?

So Dez Bryant won't carry Roy Williams Pads! Leads to one Question did RW ask or did he just keep dropping them? http://es.pn/cO8wub

Yes your thomas example is weak because every individual has the right to his own life ( the point he was trying to make is that it doesn't matter who it is thomas or bryant)and whether or not to carry the pads is just 1 of many thousands of choices he will make. If thomas would have said no, He is his own man and has the right to make his choices. NO where in his contract does it say i will be Santanna's *****

Let me get this straight…

Comparing 1 highly touted rookie’s acceptance of going through the "rookie/hazing" that goes on every year , to another highly touted rookie’s unwillingness to partake in the same "rookie/hazing," something that whether you agree with it or not, has been a customary tradition in the NFL for a long time, is "weak."

…What would you think if somehow someone thought it would be smart enough to compare the stupid, "carry my pads" rookie-hazing tradition of the NFL, to of all things, SLAVERY?

Rookie hazing - Something that is/has been an accepted part of the culture in american sports.

Slavery - Something that has NOTHING to do with what goes on in today’s NFL.

Let me get this straight…

Comparing 1 highly touted rookie’s acceptance of going through the "rookie/hazing" that goes on every year , to another highly touted rookie’s unwillingness to partake in the same "rookie/hazing," something that whether you agree with it or not, has been a customary tradition in the NFL for a long time, is "weak."

…What would you think if somehow someone thought it would be smart enough to compare the stupid, "carry my pads" rookie-hazing tradition of the NFL, to of all things, SLAVERY?

Rookie hazing - Something that is/has been an accepted part of the culture in american sports.

Slavery - Something that has NOTHING to do with what goes on in today’s NFL.

OK you obviously are trying to narrow my argument to make yourself happy so go right ahead. that portion of my argument was directed at teh guy who said that hazing has been taking place forever that dez needs to accept it and move on. my counter point was simple just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't make it right.

No more No less obviously they are totally different thank you captain obvious for bringing it to my attention.

ANd just so you know: SLavery : An act one time used/ accepted as a normal practice in american culture.

At first I want to say go ahead and carry the guys pads but then again its Roy "Stole Millions" Williams.

It seems like dez has been doing everything right since going to Dallas so I doubt this hurts them unfortunately.

We are grasping if we think it means anything.:helmet:

Considering his character issues (& whether cowboys fans are willing to admit it or not, they still exist - see Cowboys fans comments about T.O. &/or Pac-Man pre/with/after they were Cowboys as proof of their denial), and the RIDICULOUS amount of hype that he is getting - I’d wouldn’t just blow this off as "nothing."

BTW, Bryant has been with Dallas for what, like 3 months now? Considering his reputation already coming in, he’d have to be an absolute ****ing dumbass to do anything "wrong."

Pac-Man was doing great, until fighting with his own bodyguards mid-way through the season. Same thing with T.O. Was doing just fine - good enough to get a big contract extension - only to be outright released the same year (which surprised the hell out of everybody).

Jerry Jones is a master of disguising player misconducts/off-field issues to the public/media, so I doubt we know how he is truly doing anyway.

There is so much fail in your post that I don't know where to start.

Fraternity hazing and the hazing we're discussing are completely different. NFL style is not degrading in the least.

And what the F does slavery have to do with pro football? The two couldn't be further apart. And for the record, the abhorrent practice of slavery didn't last a few decades in the u.s. , it didn't begin in the 18th century, and we didn't invent it.

man your taking a post that i quoted serveal people in and making it all about you.

that small portion of my arguement was towards the guy saying hazing has been going on for years to deal with it. Sorry for not looking up the exact dates of slavery but i know the US was founded in 1776 and slavery in in the 1860's so it wasnt quite a century it went on in the US. So what is wrong with my use of decades?

And yes in the US it did beguin in the 18th century because the US didnt exist before that. ANd who mentioned fraternity hazing?

And yes being forced to do anything against your will in front of people i would consider degrading.

I think people are making more out of this than its worth. Probably because it's about the Cowboys' 1st round pick.

It'd be better to know more of this story. If Roy Williams asked Bryant to carry his and other veteran WRs' pads, it'd be a little bit different (I think the rookie hazing thing is kind of stupid, but it's a long, storied tradition so guys just keep doing it anyway, and carrying guys' helmets isn't that bad).

But all the story says is that Roy Williams asked Bryant to carry his pads, and his pads alone.

If that's the case, then screw Roy Williams. He's a delusional guy (given his previous excuses and comments trying to explain why he sucks) who knows his time on the Cowboys is coming to a close (and after that, his opportunities in the NFL) and Bryant is the 1st round pick that Dallas picked to replace Williams to get some actual production from the WR spot, outside of Austin.

Bryant can either carry a bunch of the veteran WRs pads, or carry none of them. Williams is a scrub who shouldn't be telling anyone what to do on his own. Doesn't matter if he's a veteran or not.

Considering his character issues (& whether cowboys fans are willing to admit it or not, they still exist - see Cowboys fans comments about T.O. &/or Pac-Man pre/with/after they were Cowboys as proof of their denial), and the RIDICULOUS amount of hype that he is getting - I’d wouldn’t just blow this off as "nothing."

BTW, Bryant has been with Dallas for what, like 3 months now? Considering his reputation already coming in, he’d have to be an absolute ****ing dumbass to do anything "wrong."

You should post what Bryant's character issues actually are.

Specific stories, with links included.

I think the whole thing just says that Dez takes himself WAY too seriously :yes:...

And I love how some on this thread are claiming that, since it's Roy Williams who asked, then it's ok for Dez to blow him off lol :ols:...yes, by all means let's encourage the rookie to pick and choose which teammates he gets to disrespect based on their field performance :thumbsup:...and HELL yes I'm hoping that pretty much any and all Cowboys rookies start thinking along those same lines. Veterans asking on Twitter who people think they'll play against in the Super Bowl, the overhyped rookie thinking he's above the guy whose position everyone thinks he's gonna overtake...oh, yes, I am loving this so far. :cool:

Then you should know the value of "hazing" rookies. Its called a RIGHT OF PASSAGE". look that phrase up ftw.

Try again!

I know he didn't tell anyone to **** off. It was part of my point. His refusal to carry the pads could convey that message. No my Thomas example is not weak. While Thomas didn't have the hype that Bryant is getting, a rookie is a rookie is a rookie.

We will never agree on the hazing point. I played sports growing up. Hazing is part of being on a team, Redskins or Cowboys.

I've played sports my entire life. And excelled at one. And not once have I ever experienced anything stupid like this. I guess I've always been brought up with coaches and players that also think hazing is stupid. And im usually the last person to defend anything Cowboys-related. But im behind Dez 100% here. Screw Roy Williams. And screw all these stupid 'rite' of passages.

You guys are missing the point. Dez should carry those pads because there is nothing wrong with a little rooking hazing. In fact, IMO, it's good for team chemistry. Dez hasn't earned anything on the field.

What if Devin Thomas told Santana Moss to **** off when asked to carry his pads? He would be in the fans doghouse, whatever that is worth, but still rookies have been treated like this for years. Dez should shut the **** up and carry the pads.

Everything else aside, did you just equate Moss and Williams?

Because it's one thing to compare Thomas and Bryant, but c'mon.

Who gives a crap what Williams wants? What has he accomplished?

Especially compared to SMoss89.

I do lean towards Williams on this one. The reason isn't because of "rite of passage," but just respect towards those that have come before him. NFL football isn't like any football on the way up. Respect and humility are extremely important IMO. He may be the best receiver ever, but for all the vets that did it before him lose respect for him.

Football is a team sport and the NFL and the way teams come together is nothing like any amateur teams where these things are used to help young and arrogant rookies, who haven't proven a thing, know where they stand.

I can't tell you how ecstatic I was when I found out the Cowboys got RW because he sucks so bad, but this shows what kind of character this guy has. So far all he has shown is he is a punk and I couldn't be more glad that he plays for the Cowboys

I think the whole thing just says that Dez takes himself WAY too seriously :yes:...

And I love how some on this thread are claiming that, since it's Roy Williams who asked, then it's ok for Dez to blow him off lol :ols:...yes, by all means let's encourage the rookie to pick and choose which teammates he gets to disrespect based on their field performance :thumbsup:

Like I said, if Williams had approached Bryant to pick up all the pads for the veteran WRs, that'd be one thing.

But if he just wanted to make Bryant carry his pads only, that's a different story.

He might as well have asked Bryant to hold his pocket for him too.

It does make a difference which teammates are involved here. Williams is on the cusp of getting released from the team, and Bryant is his big time replacement. It doesn't take an advanced degree in psychology to have a good guess of what's going on here.

And Bryant's response is simply to say that he came to the Cowboys to try and help them win football games. Meanwhile, Williams is rambling about taking it to "step two" and saying how he's heard of guys' credit cards getting stolen and charged up to the limit. Who looks like a bigger idiot there?

Archived