Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Loyalty: To the Team or the Region?

Fresh8686

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

After seeing some of the fan migration from the O's to the Nats that has been occuring due to Washington once again having a team I got to wondering about how people determine their loyalty. Is it to the region/city that they live in or is it the team itself irrespective of its location.

So the ultimate question. If the redskins god forbid were moved to another state that didn't have a franchise, like Hawaii or something and a completely new team arrived in Washington (not a franchise transplant from another city), who would you root for if they played against each other in the superbowl?

Edit: Please be advised that the poll is public and no I haven't voted yet because im still not sure yet. There's just to much history here for me to make a snap judgment. Which brings up another thing I'd be interested to see, I wonder how the answers would vary based upon age? For the younger people out there the 91 season may be no more than a distant memory while some of the older crown has a lot more of the golden era to draw upon.

Honestly, a lot depends on the circumstances. Why did the team move? Did Snyder simply want more money, did the area fans just completely give up on the team, did MD, VA, and DC all pass laws banning the Redskins from playing there? How long was the DC area without a football team? It's not like the NFL is gonna let Snyder move the team to LA and have another team pop up in DC the same year. Where did the Redskins move to? Who is the owner of the new team?

Hard to answer the question unless/until it happens. Some circumstances are more fogivable than others.

It is definately a region thing...i'm a fan of all the home teams (Nats, Caps, Skins, Wizkids, Terps, United, Mystics) But if the Redskins were to move then I can see myself becoming a Jaguars fans, because that is my favorite AFC team. Seeing how they are about to move to LA then I would probably become either a Falcon fan (just because I live here) or a Dolphins fan (my childhood team with Ricky Williams), but at the end of the day I would NEVER be a diehard fan of any NFL team if the Redskins were to move.

I would never ever root for a team that left the D.C. area. I would hate that team and root against it. It would break my heart if the Skins would ever more (they won't).

I am a lifelong D.C. resident and if I ever moved, I'd only support D.C. teams. Skins, Caps, Nats/O's a little since I grew up with them and Wizards are mine.

I wouldn't root for the Redskins if they left D.C. (Which I could never see happening by the way). I would be nostalgic for the years they were here, but I would not follow the team to say...Los Angeles, or anywhere else. If the Washington Redskins ever cease to exist as the WASHINGTON Redskins, I would be a Baltimore Ravens fan from that day on.

i cant believe that people would give up cheering for the players that make up the redskins. i have grown to love everything with the redskins, not washington. it would be harder to watch their games if they did move out west but i couldnt just move to liking the ravens.

if another team was made in washington i would like them as my second favorite team. but i couldnt just give up on orakpo, fletcher, moss, portis and all of them together. that might sound like i would like those players if they went to another team but that to me is a totally different situation

Honestly, a lot depends on the circumstances. Why did the team move? Did Snyder simply want more money, did the area fans just completely give up on the team, did MD, VA, and DC all pass laws banning the Redskins from playing there? How long was the DC area without a football team? It's not like the NFL is gonna let Snyder move the team to LA and have another team pop up in DC the same year. Where did the Redskins move to? Who is the owner of the new team?

Hard to answer the question unless/until it happens. Some circumstances are more fogivable than others.

Pretty much this ^. I've lived in this area all of my 34 years so as a native I have always rooted and heavily supported the D.C. teams. It would really depend on circumstances as to whether or not I would still root for the Skins if they moved. As a Marylander I'd probably be forced to root for the Ravens if the Skins left until another franchise replaced them here.

IF Snyder sold out and went to LA you would still root for them?

Not me. I hate sell outs. I would probably root for the Dolphins because of locality.

He's probably like me. I'm not from the region either. I root for the jersey, the colors and nickname. If Snyder packed up and moved to LA, Anchorage or even Bangor, Maine I'd still pull for the skins. My allegiance is with the team, not the city. I could care less if the Nats blew monkey balls and lost 110 games every year.

As far as baseball, that's different. I grew up 90 minutes from St Louis. Been a baseball Cardinals fan all of my life. I would have mixed feelings if the Cardinals moved, but still feelings for the Cards. I'd probably still be a Cardinals fan.

The Cards ain't ever leaving St Louis for the same reaon the Skins ain't leaving DC. The two franchises are the lifeblood of their respective cities and the two cities would burn to the ground if these teams left their respective cities.

If the Washington Redskins ever cease to exist as the WASHINGTON Redskins, I would be a Baltimore Ravens fan from that day on.

If the Redskins changed their name and colors I'd really have to consider if I wanted to still be a fan. If they changed cities, name and colors, no way could I pull for them.

I had a friend that was a diehard Oilers fan and when they moved to Nashville as the Titans he made the transformation with ease and still loves them. In fact he loves it more because Nashville is 3 hours away from here and he can go to games ever year whereas he never saw an Oilers game in Houston.

As a Marylander I'd probably be forced to root for the Ravens if the Skins left until another franchise replaced them here.

If the Skins ever did leave, and Washington was without an NFL team for several years, there is no way I could switch back to the "new" D.C. team. Just wouldn't be the same, and I don't give up my loyalties so easily. If I had to switch to Baltimore, because the Washington Redskins cease to exist, I would stick with Baltimore even if the expansion "Washington Warriors" came to town.

For me, in the nearly impossible situation the Redskins ever left, they would have lost the right to have me as a fan. Much like what happened to many Colts fans when they left Baltimore. Some still rooted for the Colts until the Ravens came along, but many became Redskins fans or picked another team. I just couldn't spend money on, and support a team who left what is essentially my home city (I live 20 minutes south of D.C.), or pad the pockets of some future owner of the team, that decided there were greener pastures somewhere else, and turned his back on us. For me it would be like rooting for your ex-wife to have a great marriage with the guy she cheated on you with. lol

As a life long Marylander, I always like to see the Ravens succeed, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. (Except of course when they play The Redskins) so it would be a very painful, but logical switch.

I know this much, it's a choice I'd never want to have to make.

&^% Snyder or his successor if he ever moves the team. You think people hated Bob Short for moving a horrible baseball team? That would be NOTHING to moving the Redskins. As long as we keep selling out games and keeping the team profitable, the team is not going to move.

PS SHORT STINKS AND SHORT STILL STINKS

These signs appeared at the last Senators game at RFK and the last Nationals game at RFK.

i cant believe that people would give up cheering for the players that make up the redskins. i have grown to love everything with the redskins, not washington. it would be harder to watch their games if they did move out west but i couldnt just move to liking the ravens.

if another team was made in washington i would like them as my second favorite team. but i couldnt just give up on orakpo, fletcher, moss, portis and all of them together. that might sound like i would like those players if they went to another team but that to me is a totally different situation

I find this to be a very interesting take considering the Skins have prob had one of the highest turnover of players in the last 10 years of any other team. I'm curious if you still root for ex-redskins?

I am loyal to the region. I follow all local teams. If the Skins moved I would hate them with a passion. I would wish the players well, but I would never forgive the ownership or management. Now on the flip side, if I moved out of DC, my loyalty stays with the Skins. Another scenario, if I moved out of the DC area, then a few years later so did the Skins, I'd prob continue to root for the Skins.

Archived