Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Martin Chase is officially a redskin

mhd24

Totally worth a 7th rounder. I've seen Chase play, and I would put him at about equal with Jermaine Haley in terms of strength and ability. Still no pass rush, but adding a good run-stopper is exactly what we need, and this might suffice on passing downs as well (instead of moving Wynn around).

That still means we're weak at DT, but nowhere near as bad as it was with Haley and Holsey (his name has the word "hole" in it for crying out loud).

BD

Originally posted by jbooma

6-2 320 had 19 tackles last year as a backup, not bad for a 7th rounder. I have been impressed by the FO this season, I can't believe i just said that :laugh:

Let's see. He had 2 more tackles than our starting DT and he came off the bench. He also is 530k against the cap instead of 3.5mil.. We still need Gardeners clone

Another possible advantage. Chase spent his first two years in Baltimore--under Marvin Lewis. Granted, he was on the active roster for only 3 games during those first two years, but that was enough for him to learn Lewis' system. Hopefully, he just needs to brush up on the terminolgy and it won't take long for him to remember his assignments.

Originally posted by GURU

Another possible advantage. Chase spent his first two years in Baltimore--under Marvin Lewis. Granted, he was on the active roster for only 3 games during those first two years, but that was enough for him to learn Lewis' system. Hopefully, he just needs to brush up on the terminolgy and it won't take long for him to remember his assignments.

Hmmm....so the conversation was, "pass on Dalton, but look at Martin Chase from the Saints". I would have to think that if we WERE talking to Lewis about Dalton, Chase was also discussed.

But no more rotation guys, please. I hope Chase can come in and start.

I don't know that being a team's third best player at a position necessarily means you're a third-stringer. First of all, I'm sure the DTs in New Orleans are better than what we have. Secondly, he could be their main rotation guy to back up both those other players....

however, anyone you can get for a 7th rounder and 500K isn't going to solve your problems single-handedly.

Maybe I am looking at this world through rose colored glasses. But I think our d-line is not as bad as being portrayed. It could be re-shuffled a bit. Here is how I think it works out best.

DE Regan Upshaw, LaDarius Jackson, Mike Cecere

DE Bruce Smith, Pepe Zellner,

DT Jermaine Haley, Martin Chase, James Cannida

DT Renaldo Wynn, Bernard Holsey, Greg Scott

I think for the good of the team Renaldo Wynn should be moved inside to D Tackle. We have more depth at DE and he played DT for Jacksonville for a few years. He has plenty of experience and ability to play there.

B56, I agree with you. That line isn't going to be feared or renamed the Steel Curtain, but they can play well enough for this year until we can add some young talent. I think we would be smart to see how our tackles shake out and go with some of these no-namers. This is, afterall, a 3 year plan so we don't have to have every player in place....

Originally posted by jbooma

6-2 320 had 19 tackles last year as a backup, not bad for a 7th rounder. I have been impressed by the FO this season, I can't believe i just said that :laugh:

He had 2 more than BDW as a backup. Thats a damn shame!:rolleyes:

B56, that's all good and well, but pushing 40, Bruce isn't able to play full time anymore. Hell, I'm 16 and I can barely stay on my feet for an hour without complaining. And Zellner isn't the guy we want backing him up. I think that if we play Wynn at DT, either Ladarius has to step up and split time with Bruce or we seriously need to do something we haven't been doing, which is looking at DEs on the waiver wire. We need to get some pass rush. If they're scared to pass then we know they're gonna run. Then we just let our little Wrecking Crew behind the D-Line do the dirty work. BTW, it's never too early to talk draft. I'm looking at either Tommie Harris from Oklahoma or Vince Wilfork from Miami. Harris is stonger than any of the DTs we've got on the roster and faster than any of the DEs we've got. And Wilfork can bench press the team's travel bus. Hopefully our DTs will be fine so we can get a nice pass rusher to replace Bruce.

I'm not sure I understand any angst here. Chase is another body of some size and has the ability to be a suitable, if not dominating, run blocker. For a seventh it's hard to be overly dramatic here and if he costs us a sixth, it probably means he's at least out there earning it. This is, to me, a smart move. We didn't panic for Dalton or Washington. We stayed back and let a pretty positive trade come our way.

Chase is another very limited player to be sure and it's hard to generate a great deal of excitement at his prospects. But, he fills a certain need, adds size, has some ability at least against the run, and is pretty cheap both in terms of draft picks and salary. I don't think this improves us a great deal or anything, but it lengthens our rotation which will make everyone at least incrementally better in that rotation.

It is what it is. Nothing to get crazy about, but better than we just were.

Archived