Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Martin Chase is officially a redskin

mhd24

That's a cheap, cheap pickup for this guy. Saints were actually using him heavily in their DT rotation last year, and replaced Hand as the starter for the last couple of games.

Good replacement for Noble at bargain basement prices.

-s

Redskins deal for DT Chase

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Rebuffed in their attempts to deal for defensive tackle Ted Washington, the Washington Redskins recovered on Wednesday by trading for Martin Chase, a six-year veteran who has spent most of his career with the New Orleans Saints.

New Orleans will receive a seventh-round choice in the 2004 draft. The selection can escalate to a sixth-rounder if Chase participates in more than 40 percent of the defensive snaps this season.

The deal came after days of talks between the tackle-needy Redskins, who lost starter Brandon Noble to a season-ending knee injury last week, and Saints officials. The Saints were one of the few teams in the league with solid tackle depth. Washington had been attempting to deal for another Saints tackle, third-year veteran Kenny Smith, but New Orleans wanted to retain the athletic youngster.

The Redskins might have been able to land Ted Washington on Tuesday night had they matched the fourth-round draft pick the New England Patriots sent to the Chicago Bears for the five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle. But the Redskins didn't have a fourth-round pick in the 2004 draft -- ironically, because they sent it to the Patriots during the '03 draft -- and Washington declined to surrender a third-round pick for a 35-year-old veteran.

Chase, 28, is a career backup, who has played in 41 games and started five. The former Oklahoma star has 45 career tackles and one sack but at least provides the Redskins another experienced body for their interior rotation. The Green Bay Packers had also spoken to the Saints about a possible trade for Chase.

There figure to be even more defensive tackle trades in the next few days.

As illustrated by the blockbuster contract extension the Tampa Bay Buccaneers awarded Anthony McFarland earlier on Tuesday, the tackle spot has become a key position. And those clubs who need interior line help, like the Redskins, have been burning up the phone lines to the few franchises with viable depth at the position.

Look for the Denver Broncos to deal Lional Dalton, possibly as early as Wednesday, for a middle- or late-round draft pick. Broncos officials have apprised the Redskins, who had some interest in Dalton, that they have a deal in place with another needy team. Dalton apparently will facilitate a trade by reducing his $1.6 million base salary for 2003.

Green Bay offers one example of how teams will reach for even moderately talented players to fill tackle holes. The Packers on Sunday signed four-year veteran Larry Smith, just days after he was released by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Smith had several off-field incidents during his Jacksonville tenure, and was the first player in the Jaguars camp this year to suffer a heat-related illness.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I want to know who on the Skins was the one to boost Chase and the trade for him.

We know from earlier reports that Marvin Lewis didn't give the thumbs up on Dalton after their time together in Baltimore.

And we all know that Washington was a walking hospital patient the past year and a half.

But Chase? :)

I wonder if the plan was to acquire a younger and cheaper player now and then still look to add a SECOND player at the time of the last cuts, perhaps someone with more experience?

but at least it didnt cost us anything.

Yes he did. he cost a 7th, or a 6th if he plays enough. If he's solid, or makes it a solid rotation, then it wasn't a waste. If he plays like emntman, boutte, Zorich or Mims, it's a total waste.

Given the last ten years, that 7th might not seem to be much, but Rock Cartwright was a 7th. What was Royal, probably our starting TE?

You can find solid players late in the draft if you are good enough. Or at least solid back-ups for the special teams.

That 7th rd. pick TE/long snapper they cut last year is long snapping for Dallas.....

Right now we are out of a 4th (Morton trade) and the 7th for next years draft. And this season has't even been played yet.

Also, the late round picks can be used to help move up in the earlier rounds if you've targeted a player you really like....Say a DT that won't be there when it's your turn to pick.

Wonder if Dalton will still come to us who knows

I'm starting to think he might. I haven't seen any mention of Dalton being dealt today. I haven't read any of the 'inside reporters' giving word of any potential deal and/or potential other team interested. Now that we've acquired Chase, we're in a more comfortable position, less desperate. Which puts Denver is a tighter position, knowing that we don't have to cave into their demands.

Did we call their bluff?

he only has 4 or 5 starts in 6 years. Chase is 6'2 and 310 from the reports so we will have to see but I think Martin is rotation material, not full-time starting material.

I agree that Smith was the more intriguing player because he had very good quickness and strength at 6'4 and 301 and was only 25.

well, if anything the Skins did show restraint. They could have just given the Bears a #3 for Washington or given a #5 to the Broncos for Dalton and his $1.6 million salary :)

the question I keep asking is whether the move for Chase was just the opening gambit on another move to come later when a recognizable veteran becomes available.

Chase's contract gives us the flexibility to wait on that player and make a better offer than the other teams out there looking for help on the DL.

Only a few teams have more cap room and of them the Eagles don't need DT help and the Cardinals we will outbid just because their organization is that cheap :laugh:

Only Baltimore has significant cash and a need. Interesting to see if they are the ones that blinked and dealt for Dalton.

To be honest, I'd never heard of the guy. If he contributes, that's great. If he's merely a mediocre rotational guy, that's not so great if we have to surrender our 6th rounder. Keep in mind that we already have given up our 4th rounder so the Day Two 2004 Draft is already getting thin.

I hope this is the last DT we trade for. I'd rather watch the waiver wire (assuming we're not sold on the guys we already have).

Archived