Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

E-Readers, Kindle, Sony, etc

HSW

I used to have a Sony Reader (505) before I lost it. I loved it and took it with me everywhere.

Most of them are pretty equal. The deciding factor is going to be the source of your books, so look into the stores. Unfortunately, every vendor has some form of DRM for their stores, and the more independent stores are starting to get squeezed out.

For your research, this site is an excellent resource:

www.mobileread.com

I have a Kindle 2 and dig it. Wife got an ipad for free recently -- also read books on that via the kindle app. And on my iphone once in a while if I'm stuck somewhere. Everything syncs perfectly. I never thought I'd like reading books on electronic devices so much. It's crazy.

I have an Ipad and wasn't sure about it as a reader due to the back lighting, but with the adjustable brightness and parchment feature it does a pretty good job and don't feel any more eye strain than reading a book.

I have a nook and iPad. The nook was amazing reading on the beach with the e-Ink as opposed to the glossy screen of the iPad.

If you just want a dedicated e-book reader than the nook is the way to go. It is easy to load on books, dl and the user interface is simple. It also feels much nicer in the hand than kindle did for me.

Although the iPad book is pretty easy to read and I didn't get any eye strain so if you wanted it to do more than just read books, it is an option.

Although the iPad book is pretty easy to read and I didn't get any eye strain so if you wanted it to do more than just read books, it is an option.

Like hockey says the iPad is not very good in really bright light. It's awesome when the light is low though.

Like hockey says the iPad is not very good in really bright light. It's awesome when the light is low though.

With an anti-glare film on the iPad, it is much better. Power Support USA makes a pretty good one for those that are interested.

From my understanding, the iBookstore is pretty slim in comparison to the Kindle and nook libraries. But, the bright side to that is that you can use the Kindle app on the iPad.

Ok, this may sound like a really stupid question...

So, for the Kindle and the Nook to work, there needs to be a wi-fi connection, right? Does it connect to your wireless connection in your house and in places like Starbucks that have wireless connections, like a laptop does?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting my mom a Nook for either her birthday or Christmas. She has wireless internet in her house, but when she visits my grandma in Maine, my grandma has no internet access whatsoever, and her house is in a very small town surrounded by countryside- i.e. no way to "steal" wi-fi.

SO...I'm assuming if she planned to go to Maine, she would have to download the books she wanted to read before she went up there, and the Nook would still work, right? Like if I downloaded a document to read on my laptop with no internet connection? I mean, I know she wouldn't be able to DOWNLOAD there, but if she had done it prior, she'd be able to read what she had downloaded....yes?

My Blackberry internet works up at my Grandma's house, and I know that Blackberry has their own internet service that goes wherever the Blackberry goes, and I'm wondering if the Nook has that too, or if you set it up to the internet just like a laptop.

Sorry if that was confusing...

SO...I'm assuming if she planned to go to Maine, she would have to download the books she wanted to read before she went up there, and the Nook would still work, right? Like if I downloaded a document to read on my laptop with no internet connection? I mean, I know she wouldn't be able to DOWNLOAD there, but if she had done it prior, she'd be able to read what she had downloaded....yes?

Yes.

Ok, this may sound like a really stupid question...

So, for the Kindle and the Nook to work, there needs to be a wi-fi connection, right? Does it connect to your wireless connection in your house and in places like Starbucks that have wireless connections, like a laptop does?

I ask because I'm thinking of getting my mom a Nook for either her birthday or Christmas. She has wireless internet in her house, but when she visits my grandma in Maine, my grandma has no internet access whatsoever, and her house is in a very small town surrounded by countryside- i.e. no way to "steal" wi-fi.

My Blackberry internet works up at my Grandma's house, and I know that Blackberry has their own internet service that goes wherever the Blackberry goes, and I'm wondering if the Nook has that too, or if you set it up to the internet just like a laptop.

Sorry if that was confusing...

It doesn't need wifi to work. Just if you want to DL a new book. Your mom could download a lot of books before she goes she would be fine.

The books are not stored on a server when reading they are stored on the device itself.

Also I believe the nook has a 3G connection so you wouldn't even need wifi although I am sure it is much faster.

It doesn't need wifi to work. Just if you want to DL a new book. Your mom could download a lot of books before she goes she would be fine.

The books are not stored on a server when reading they are stored on the device itself.

Also I believe the nook has a 3G connection so you wouldn't even need wifi although I am sure it is much faster.

It is the Kindle that uses 3G. Depending on which Nook you get, you can get one that uses WiFi or WiFi and 3G. The connection is only needed to get books onto the device. Personally, I'd rather just have a hard connection and put the books on myself.

sweet....gracias

No problem. I got my nook back in march as a gift from the gf. I read a ton when on vacation and usually carry that through the year but lately have been swamped with work.

Well I went to the beach last week and fell in love with my nook. It really does it's job great. If you have any other questions feel free to PM.

• 1 year later...

Bumped for questions.

Think I'm gonna get my dad a Kindle with accessories and some pre-loaded books for Christmas.

He would never use any of the extras in the fancier versions of the Kindle, so I'm thinking about the regular model or the touch screen one. Any opinions as to whether it's worth getting the touch?

Also, can I order the Kindle with some books already on it, or would I have to do that myself after I received it?

Bumped for questions.

Think I'm gonna get my dad a Kindle with accessories and some pre-loaded books for Christmas.

He would never use any of the extras in the fancier versions of the Kindle, so I'm thinking about the regular model or the touch screen one. Any opinions as to whether it's worth getting the touch?

Also, can I order the Kindle with some books already on it, or would I have to do that myself after I received it?

I'm still using my xoom and its been awesome as an ereader option, but I also ordered the Kindle fire for my daughter for christmas. It should arive tomorrow and I can post a review for you if you like? I think they will link it to your amazon account so if you already have books on it they should show up. I'm planning to add a few books and apps to my daughters before she opens it Christmas day so she can hit the ground running with it

Bumped for questions.

I bought my dad a Kindle last year for Christmas and he loves it. Since he travels alot for work, he gets all kinds of use out of it.

I don't think there's a big difference between the touch and the keyboard versions.

As far as I know, you can't order one with books on it already. However, there are Amazon gift cards you can buy that he could use to buy books. Or before you give it to him for Christmas, you can always download a book or 2 on there.

---------- Post added November-17th-2011 at 09:37 AM ----------

I'm still using my xoom and its been awesome as an ereader option, but I also ordered the Kindle fire for my daughter for christmas. It should arive tomorrow and I can post a review for you if you like? I think they will link it to your amazon account so if you already have books on it they should show up. I'm planning to add a few books and apps to my daughters before she opens it Christmas day so she can hit the ground running with it

Please post a Kindle Fire review. I'm getting one for Christmas and want to see how good it is. I've read some good reviews so far.

Archived