Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best "original" dining places in D.C.?

DaRock

I will be in D.C. in late August and am looking for some "great eats" that are authentic to only D.C. or a place that may be chained, but that is just too good to pass on. Any ideas?

The White House.

Although you may have to sneak in to get some food.

:evilg:

The very 1st Five Guys was in Arlington, so try again :silly:

Man I so happy to see that there a 5 guys here in AZ... I keep telling people it will be the best burger they will get in AZ. The place is always packed too.

But to the OP I'd go with Ben's chili bowl

I dont know if I would go out of my way to eat at Bens chili bowl, been hearing about it for years but the place just looks plain nasty.

dogg, go out of your way to eat at ben's chilli bowl. they're always packed for a reason.

i'll add florida avenue grill, it's around the corner from ben's.

Bens is overrated for sure, I dont understand the hype.

go to Rays Hell Burger. When I have people visiting from out of town, I take them there...its becoming a landmark. I went before Obama ruined it...its so hard to get a seat now, the service is snobbish, and its always mobbed, but the hamburger is amazing.

Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill is also a great place to go - toasted marshmallow milkshakes, hamburgers, etc....awesome, and always mobbed.

go to Rays Hell Burger. When I have people visiting from out of town, I take them there...its becoming a landmark. I went before Obama ruined it...its so hard to get a seat now, the service is snobbish, and its always mobbed, but the hamburger is amazing.

That's where JRock took me in 2008 (I believe)...

Was a really good burger

This isn't cheap...but 1789 is a very nice place to get a nice, upscale dinner. It's as DC as you get. Also in that range, Old Ebbitt Grill is very authentic to DC and delicious.

I like both ideas.

If you are near Dupont Circle you can go for Brunch at the Tabard Inn.

Also 1789 is running their summer 3-course for $35 special. Check it on the website.

Even if you don't go for lunch or dinner at Old Ebbit Grill, you could sit at the bar and get oysters.

It's changed hands so many times, I really can't speak to the food anymore. But the atmosphere is still very cool. Very DC powerbroker-esque.

Bens is overrated for sure, I dont understand the hype.

Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill is also a great place to go - toasted marshmallow milkshakes, hamburgers, etc....awesome, and always mobbed.

Spike is opening up a pizza spot right next door. From the looks it should be opening by the end of the month :D

Archived