Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are all musicians better when using drugs?

Springfield

As far as Eminem goes... I rank his albums like this:

1. Eminem Show- He used drugs recreationally

2. Marshall Mathers LP- Kinda on drugs

3. Slim Shady LP- lots of drugs

4. Recovery- off drugs

5. Relapse- trying to get off drugs

6. Encore- his worst album because this was when he was always ****** up

my point being drugs for musicians... Good and bad

As far as I know, none of the guys from Iron Maiden use drugs or alcohol and they are great.

I believe Bruce was openly a clean sort. I have seen pics of the rest of them with a beer. Not to mean they were drunks, but they all weren't against a few beers, and I dunno, Dave seemed to be a type to like some tweed. His goofy smile and chinese eyes :ols:

Either way they rocked!

BTW, here is an interview with Dave

Dave, what do you do while on tour to not get bored of each other, and how do you resolve arguments if they occur?

Drink beer, arm wrestle, then drink more beer.

http://maidenfans.com/index.php?ACT=module&name=rwarticles&show=66

All the blueprints are in place.” Smith adds, “We got sixty of us on there, obviously the six of us, management and the road crew in the back, drinking the plane dry (laughs).”

"McBrain denies allegations of being a hellraiser these days, but admits he still has a tendency to accidentally get schlaggered once in a while.

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=6172

Who knows they might all like some brews! :)

that's subjective, record sales (and concert ticket sales) indicate the opposite. The reality is that their music changed with the times so to speak. The same can be said for the stones, who are also quite more sober than they were in the '60-'70's.

Subjective maybe, depending on your music tastes. If you look at their career, after they sobered up, they went more mainstream. Look at all their big hits the last few years, mostly ballads. This will draw more women into buying albums and concert tickets or making their boyfriends/husbands buy it. Many mainstream artists do that and will admit it. In fact, last night, Kenny Chesney said that he is not ashamed to admit that he writes most of his music for the women. Even though it is a different style of music, it illustrates the point.

So, just because album sales and concert ticket sales are up, it does not necessarily equate to better music.

Im pretty sure the guys of Rush smoked in their early days. By the time Moving Pictures came around they were all clean. (or at least appeared to be)
Oh yeah, big time. 2112 was the perfect example of drugs in music.

Yep, from Fly By Night through Hemispheres they were the pot smoking musician's gift from God. It's like that music was made to be listened to while high. Permanent Waves is more of an "uppity" type of album, I think that's the point they started to avoid the pipe.

Serious question.

The Beatles? Led Zeppelin? Eminem? Elvis Presley? The Doors? DMX? Dave Matthews Band? Nirvana? David Bowie?

What musician was better "off the drugs" than when toking/snorting/shooting?

Stevie Ray Vaughan. After a couple mediocre efforts, his last album was his best thing since Couldn't Stand the Weather.

So I was talking about this with a friend last night and he brought up a very good thought about the whole argument.

He said that basically the musicians were better because they were younger. They had more anger/passion/freshness to them. The fact that they were using drugs was related to their youth but not necessarily the driving force behind their creativity. He thought that the trials and tribulations of being young (and the anger, depression, wonderment that it brings) was what made their music so great. After their first album or so, they became complacent and often time big stars and weren't able to draw on the same experiences that made their first few albums great.

I didn't necessarily agree with his line of thinking 100% but he did bring up some great points. I do think that's what makes most rappers debut albums their best though.

Archived