Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are all musicians better when using drugs?

Springfield

define better. I think musically speaking the Beatles music got better as they started experimenting more. However, people seem to love their earlier, non-drug induced songs, which tend to be classified as more "pop-like" and radio friendly. You don't really see a universal call to sing Hendrix' "All Along the Watchtower" like you do for "Twist and Shout" or "I Wanna Hold Your Hand."

That being said, I don't classify a song as "good music" just based on widespread popularity, so I definitely think drugs have played a role in influencing some of the best music ever created, and literature, art, etc....

Drugs help with the writing and composing. Not so much with the actual performing.

I like a few shots before I get on stage. Loosens me up. THough if I do indulge too much it definitely hinders me, but even still it sounds good to me :ols:

I'm a fairly competent musician and I don't use.

That said, there is a bit of a pattern there. I like the Beatles' early stuff, but it their music wasn't "great" until they started putting the junk in their bodies.

A lot of artists used drugs for their craft. I guess it releases your inhibitions.

Aerosmith was better before they cleaned themselves up.

that's subjective, record sales (and concert ticket sales) indicate the opposite. The reality is that their music changed with the times so to speak. The same can be said for the stones, who are also quite more sober than they were in the '60-'70's.

Aerosmith was alot better on heroin for sure. Same with Motley Crue....I don't think it's the drugs as much as it is the lifestyle influencing the music.

IMO if you need to use drugs to be creative enough to write music, you aren't very good to begin with.

Archived