Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NO: Duke Lacrosse Accuser Holds Press Conference to Defend Herself

China

Just following the board rules about quoting large blocks of text.

I don't know how carefully you followed the Duke Lacrosse case. I don't believe I have ever seen a worse example of someone "changing their story" when reporting such serious allegations to police. I can not think of a more egregious example of someone deceiving the authorities.

Of course rape is a horrible crime that's why it should be taken very seriously and people who belittle that like this woman should be prosecuted for taking crimes like this so lightly.

Legal accuracy isn't important?

Come on, man, this isn't a political discussion, so stop quoting random parts of what I'm saying out of context.

My post is also not a large block of text, it's barely a paragraph and a half, so don't use that excuse to chop it up.

No no, don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT saying that she isn't a crazy woman who may deserve time, but I am saying that it wouldn't be worth it in terms of setting a precedent.

Women are already terrified to come forward. Now, if charges or dropped or the accused rapist is found not guilty (I know HG knows this, but others seem to forget that "not guilty" does not equal "innocent"), then she can actually be prosecuted? Whether that's legally accurate or not doesn't matter; a woman (or man) who's experienced what I view as the most horrible event to live through would certainly not come forward. Report rates would plummet and rapists would be running around free.

I'll try to break it down as fundamentally as I can:

Survivors will be even more fearful of coming forward because of the actual and PERCEIVED threat of being prosecuted if this crime, which only results in a conviction less than one percent of the time that it is committed, can get them jail time for a dropped charge or a "not guilty" verdict.

Please try to not take it out of context for the third straight time.

Survivors will be even more fearful of coming forward because of the actual and PERCEIVED threat of being prosecuted if this crime, which only results in a conviction less than one percent of the time that it is committed, can get them jail time for a dropped charge or a "not guilty" verdict.

Please try to not take it out of context for the third straight time.

Please.

If you're telling the truth about being attacked, you don't need armed, trespassing thugs to make your case. She fabricated that story, and she deserved to be prosecuted.

No one wants to see a victim, or alleged victim, prosecuted because there was no conviction in their case. And to assert so is at BEST disingenuous.

Please.

If you're telling the truth about being attacked, you don't need armed, trespassing thugs to make your case. She fabricated that story, and she deserved to be prosecuted.

No one wants to see a victim, or alleged victim, prosecuted because there was no conviction in their case. And to assert so is at BEST disingenuous.

I don't know how people aren't understanding what I'm saying.

1) I'm not talking about her. I'm talking about the precedent that it would set.

2) I'm not saying that it would be the REALITY, but it would be PERCEIVED. How many synonyms do I need to make it clear? Perceived, thought of as, believed to be, etc. When experiencing that kind of trauma, a person's head is already not in the right place. There's no helpful purpose to add one more reason for a woman to think twice about reporting this most heinous of crimes.

No no, don't misunderstand me. I'm NOT saying that she isn't a crazy woman who may deserve time, but I am saying that it wouldn't be worth it in terms of setting a precedent.

Women are already terrified to come forward. Now, if charges or dropped or the accused rapist is found not guilty (I know HG knows this, but others seem to forget that "not guilty" does not equal "innocent"), then she can actually be prosecuted? Whether that's legally accurate or not doesn't matter; a woman (or man) who's experienced what I view as the most horrible event to live through would certainly not come forward. Report rates would plummet and rapists would be running around free.

Mangum certainly can be prosecuted for malacious prosecution, faking a police report, etc.

Sure nobody would collect a dime from her, but locking her up would restore credibility to the system that's trying to go after actual rapist scum.

I don't think it would scare victims from coming forward, as much as it would help everybody's credibility when a victim does make a stand.

Mangum certainly can be prosecuted for malacious prosecution, faking a police report, etc.

Sure nobody would collect a dime from her, but locking her up would restore credibility to the system that's trying to go after actual rapist scum.

I don't think it would scare victims from coming forward, as much as it would help everybody's credibility when a victim does make a stand.

It absolutely would scare people from coming forward, as that's already a thought in the survivor community. Solidifying it in their minds would exacerbate it to a ridiculous degree.

I mean, people, this is my job. I talk to survivors every day. The reality is that they would be even more afraid to come forward if there were an incident like this.

Many more rapists would walk free if this happened. That's a fact.

• 9 months later...

Duke lacrosse accuser gets to defend herself again apparently:

DURHAM, NC (WTVD) -- Authorities say former Duke Lacrosse accuser Crystal Mangum was arrested overnight Sunday for allegedly stabbing her boyfriend in the chest.

Authorities say around 3 a.m., officers responded to a stabbing at a home in the 3000 block of Century Oaks Drive.

When police arrived, they found a 46-year-old man stabbed in the chest.

The man suffered serious injuries and was taken to Duke University Hospital for treatment.

Not saying the guy deserves it, but hes an idiot for trying to swim those waters.

Have you ever mistaken **** for anything else?

Me neither. **** is rather distinctive. It's got an obvious shape, and even a blind man can smell it.

Most of us are able to avoid **** all day every day for the majority of our lives.

This woman is ****. How much more obvious does she need to make it?

Hopefully her boyfriend lives, and hopefully she goes to prison for a few decades. She's proven in every way she can that she is of no value to society other than to be it's burden.

~Bang

She should have been prosecuted. Look what happens when you let crooks walk. This @#!!%$#^ happens ALL THE TIME. It is the backlash of putting women on a pedestal AND giving them "equal" rights. If you believe every nut-job who comes forward with a story, this is what you are asking for.

Shame!

Archived