Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times : Feds shut down noted site Ninjavideo & ATDHE.NET

ixcuincle

Adding some swashbuckling to its tough talk on fighting piracy, the federal government on Wednesday seized several websites that had offered downloads of pirated movies such as "Toy Story 3" and "Iron Man 2" within hours of their release in theaters.

Federal authorities announced that they had seized domain names from nine websites engaged in the "criminal theft of American movies and television." The websites include TVShack.net, PlanetMoviez.com, ThePirateCity.org and Ninjavideo.net. Combined, the sites drew 6.7 million visitors a month, authorities said.

Officials also seized assets from 15 bank, investment and advertising accounts and executed residential search warrants in North Carolina, New York, New Jersey and Washington, according to a statement from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which coordinated its investigation with the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-piracy-20100701,0,2871905.story

RIP Ninjavideo

One of the best sites for watching TV shows, you are no longer amongst us. For those without cable you were a great site to watch shows

You will be missed

Good. It is not that hard to pony up a few bucks to watch all of these shows.

Hmm. Perhaps you can direct me to a site that allows you to pay to watch the episode of Top Chef last night. Or the one from two weeks ago.

When cable companies are too lazy and too outdated to follow new business models, piracy is the only option.

IMO the shows should be distributed for free with commercials online, that way everyone wins. Distributor wins because they make money, fans win because they get to watch shows, everyone wins. Hulu has run this business model successfully and it's time for the rest of the TV world to follow suit

Hmm. Perhaps you can direct me to a site that allows you to pay to watch the episode of Top Chef last night. Or the one from two weeks ago.

When cable companies are too lazy and too outdated to follow new business models, piracy is the only option.

IMO the shows should be distributed for free with commercials online, that way everyone wins. Distributor wins because they make money, fans win because they get to watch shows, everyone wins. Hulu has run this business model successfully and it's time for the rest of the TV world to follow suit

So you should get what you want because you say so?

The stations make money from cable subscriptions. If you want to watch on the internet, they aren't getting that money.

http://www.bravotv.com/full-episodes

(talk about lazy, can't even bother to go the networks web page and find what you want to watch.)

So you justify stealing movies because of commercials?

spin away young man...

I watch dvr shows every day and 3x speed through them.

what else do you have as an excuse?

I don't actually watch any cable shows. I just think the pricing is a ripoff.

But I'm curious. If you're skipping through the commercials, aren't you the one "stealing" from these cable channels? Even with the crazy subscription fees, I'm pretty sure a significant portion of their revenue is still ad-based. Isn't that why cable DVR's typically don't have those 30-second skip buttons? Or at least, I don't think they do. How do you justify your actions, middle-aged man?

So you justify stealing movies because of commercials?

spin away young man...

I watch dvr shows every day and 3x speed through them.

what else do you have as an excuse?

Do you work for a cable company or movie company?

When these mediums no longer exist b/c of piracy, what are you guys gonna steal then?

I don't think that's a risk, but it's possible that we'll get greater quality programs and movies if budget constraints cause production to be cut back.

I like how they called it "criminal theft". No, it's "copyright infringement".

Regardless, the genie is already out of the bottle on these things. There's one generation now that has lived off of Napster and its progeny. I'm not saying that it is right, but it is what it is.

The comments on the LATimes site were very negative about this operation, considering there are lots of other things higher on the totem-pole of "things the government should care about".

I like how they called it "criminal theft". No, it's "copyright infringement".

Regardless, the genie is already out of the bottle on these things. There's one generation now that has lived off of Napster and its progeny. I'm not saying that it is right, but it is what it is.

The comments on the LATimes site were very negative about this operation, considering there are lots of other things higher on the totem-pole of "things the government should care about".

"Things the government should care about." Here's why they care...Hollywood is big business and many people profit from it and guess what, government collects taxes from it. One of the things that has hurt California is loss of tax revenues because of things like pirating movies, tv shows and so on.

:ols:

Watching videos online and downloading music is a gateway to bank robberies and home invasions.

I am not saying that is the next step. But I am troubled with the notion that an entire generation can't tell the difference between right and wrong. Yes that statement was painted with a broad brush but I think in this context it works.

Technically a lot of the good sites have video links that require you to pay a membership fee to view the movie in question. I subscribed to Megavideo for a 100.00$ 1 year membership fee, so I'm still paying for what I'm still watching.

I think the main reason some of those sites got shut down is becaue of the bootleg copies that were posted on there on the day they were released in theaters. I don't watch those anyway because of the poor picture quality, but I do wach some of the old tv shows that no longer run during convenient viewing hours for me.

I absolutely hate that in order for me to watch House online, I have to wait 8 days after the new episode....so now I am two episodes behind instead of one. Not sure why Fox does that.

As far as Top Chef goes, I believe it is the same deal. If the shows were re-aired during the week, I would be fine with not being able to see it online immediately. It just sucks that you have to wait so long.

I am sure there are some politics involved in those type of decisions (8 days instead of something more reasonable like 4). But I could be wrong.

I am not saying that is the next step. But I am troubled with the notion that an entire generation can't tell the difference between right and wrong. Yes that statement was painted with a broad brush but I think in this context it works.
It's par for the course. Minorities were second class citizens in a significant portion of the country in the generation prior to yours. The one before that sent people to concentration camps because they were Japanese. Not long before that children were sent to jobs in categorically unsafe working environments. If the current generation can't tell the difference between right and wrong, it's probably because no generation has ever been able to.

But I'm curious. If you're skipping through the commercials, aren't you the one "stealing" from these cable channels? Even with the crazy subscription fees, I'm pretty sure a significant portion of their revenue is still ad-based. Isn't that why cable DVR's typically don't have those 30-second skip buttons? Or at least, I don't think they do. How do you justify your actions, middle-aged man?

That's a pretty strange argument. The cable company gets money from me as a subscriber. Debt paid, I now have the right to watch any program they show, any time they show it.

It's like saying someone who gets up to get a drink during a commercial is stealing because the ad wasn't viewed in that particular house.

People use the same justification for speeding, parking violations, illegal fireworks, any other crime that we just don't really want to be held responsible for. Rather than just admit what we did is wrong (legally, if not morally), we try to come up with some strange reason the government is wrong for enforcing rules we're all aware of.

You're right that people are going to pirate stuff. I just wish they'd give up their nonsensical self-righteous rationalizations. I have a little bit more respect for someone who just says, "Yep, I'm basically stealing, but I'm going to keep doing it anyway." than someone who goes through all sorts of mental gymnastics to convince himself what he's doing is somehow ok.

Archived