Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times : Feds shut down noted site Ninjavideo & ATDHE.NET

ixcuincle

Ninjavideo was probably shut down just because of the movies up there

If they hadn't uploaded so many movies up there, and it was just TV shows, then the site would probably be still "under the radar"

The good news is other sites are up that have the shows available online, as they say, if you knock one of the sites down, others rise to take their place.

So you should get what you want because you say so?

The stations make money from cable subscriptions. If you want to watch on the internet, they aren't getting that money.

http://www.bravotv.com/full-episodes

(talk about lazy, can't even bother to go the networks web page and find what you want to watch.)

Wouldn't they get money from ad revenue though if they aired the content online

And I wasn't aware Bravo was airing Top Chef online so that's good, they're getting with the times. Wonder if someone like me could find that new FX show Louie online...or would I have to wait a year for it to be released on DVD? Hmm.

Another example: Noted physicist and genius Michio Kaku has a very intriguing scientific show on, however the previous season ended, so where is one to find episodes? They aren't streamed online through the Science Channel's official website. A few are posted on Youtube but it's not the full season. And it won't be transferred to DVD anytime soon. In cases like these, you load up Rapidshare and download away ;)

I absolutely hate that in order for me to watch House online, I have to wait 8 days after the new episode....so now I am two episodes behind instead of one. Not sure why Fox does that.

As far as Top Chef goes, I believe it is the same deal. If the shows were re-aired during the week, I would be fine with not being able to see it online immediately. It just sucks that you have to wait so long.

I am sure there are some politics involved in those type of decisions (8 days instead of something more reasonable like 4). But I could be wrong.

The incompetent networks have ridiculous policies

I know the official South Park Studios website places restrictions on the episodes during the season, and American Dad with Hulu says "We can only play the latest 4 episodes"...in my opinion everything would just be fine if you just posted up all the episodes like Hulu does with America's Game. I don't care if I have to watch ads, at least that award-winning documentary is online for all to see

woo tv-shack is still up.

My take...I mainly stream True Blook because I no longer have HBO, but I had an HBO subscription for years, they charge the same price for 1 channel on cable, for the complete package of channels on a dish. screw that. I'm not paying $12 a month for 1 TV show.

As far as movies, eh... costs too much to go to a theater anymore, and most of the movies are terrible. So people pirate movies and someone in Hollywood has to drive a 2 year old Ferrari instead of a new one....yeah not losing sleep over that.

Hell, I'm a musician with music on iTunes, if it gets pirated..oh well, atleast someones enjoying the music.

So you should get what you want because you say so?

The stations make money from cable subscriptions. If you want to watch on the internet, they aren't getting that money.

http://www.bravotv.com/full-episodes

(talk about lazy, can't even bother to go the networks web page and find what you want to watch.)

someone missed the mark...

www.fancast.com

This thread reminded me of an article I read on Cracked.com a couple of months ago. Sure, it's about gamers and not TV watchers or moviegoers, but this one section seems quite appropriate to the discussion and attitudes of some on here: http://www.cracked.com/article_18571_5-reasons-its-still-not-cool-to-admit-youre-gamer_p2.html

I don't want to get into an argument about piracy. I'm thinking that none of us reading this can cast the first stone on that one. Information wants to be free, you weren't going to buy it anyway, they're all greedy corporations, etc. But then you have the Humble Indie Bundle.

That was a bundle of DRM-free independent games that, combined, would normally sell for $80. The makers offered the bundle as a direct download to the consumer--no corporate middle men--and let customers pay whatever they wanted, down to a penny.

It wasn't free, you still had to pay. But you could set the price.

If ever there was a measure of the gaming community's sense of entitlement, this was it. All of the rationale for piracy--high prices, hatred of corporations, annoying DRM--was stripped away. Here we would find what we gamers think game creators owe us, and what we think we owe in return. The results:

The average downloader offered to pay $9.18, giving themselves a nice 87 percent discount off the retail price.

More than a quarter of the downloaders stole it outright.

That's right. More than a quarter believed that even one penny was too much to offer in return for the hundreds of hours of labor it took to create the games.

And that's not including the people who traded the Bundle off torrents and file trading services--this is just the people who pirated the games directly off of the game maker's server. In other words, they intentionally used the game developers' resources so, in addition to paying nothing, they would actually cost them additional money on bandwidth. It's like if you not only refused to drop a nickel into the street musician's guitar case, but waited for him to finish the song before taking a handful of change out.

Those same PC gamers--who spend 75 percent of their waking hours explaining how PC's are the ultimate gaming platform--seem baffled as to why PC gaming is dying. Hey, remember back when every new groundbreaking innovation happened on the PC? What happened to those days? After all, remember the hype about Spore and how it was going to change the world? That would be the game that was pirated 1.7 million times in its first three months.

Gosh, I wonder why these publishers are putting all of their resources into the harder-to-pirate consoles instead? Forget about the debate over the morality of file sharing. It's not that; it's just simple cause-effect. We're smashing out the windows because it's fun, and then crying because the rain is coming in. It makes us all look like spoiled, entitled brats with no concept of how the adult world works. Don't tell me this is because gamers are mostly kids, either--the average age of video game players is 35.

We help ourselves to free game after free game, and then scream bloody murder when Ubisoft goes overboard with anti-piracy measures. When the makers of the Modern Warfare series decided to make the consoles front and center for the sequel--stripping some features PC gamers are used to in the process--gamers threw a tantrum and bombarded Amazon with hundreds of one-star reviews for a game they admit right in the reviews they never actually purchased or played.

See, I don't think those guys understand what "review" means. And of course, they couldn't make it through their crusade without the ever-present "we'll just pirate it instead!" threat.

The, "they're treating us like animals, so let's **** on their floor!" line of thinking is the hallmark of teenagers in full teenager mode. It's no wonder gamers get portrayed in the media as impulsive and immature...and why it's so hard to convince people the infamous "WoW freakout" video is a fake.

Of course I also found the music pirating episode of South Park absoultely hilarious. "This is Lars Ulrich, guitarist for Metallica. All he wanted was a gold-plated shark tank bar for his pool, but thanks to people like you illegally downloading music he'll have to wait another few months to get it!" So I guess I just basically wanted to :stir: in this thread. :pfft:

You want to watch an MMA PPV go to Hooters, it's free.

You want to watch a boxing match go to Dave and Busters, it's 5-10 bucks.

You want a CD buy it on the first day, typically it's only around 10 bucks or so.

You want to watch old TV shows their are plenty of legit sites out there to find them.

Current shows, many networks have them online, and the ones that don't...probably can't.

I rarely go to the movies. I pay for all of the movie channels so I can enjoy those things. If it's a hot new release I want to see, I will pay, if not...I can wait the three months or so before it hits my house.

EDIT: and a DVR is like having a DVD player these days...why wouldn't you have one.

Thank God my connect not on there. I wait for the movies to come on DVD so I can watch it in crystal clear condition. Sometimes brand new movies are available though...rarely. Right now I got Wolfman, The Road, and Lovely Bones on the computer...downloaded that 3d movie Up for the neices...

You want to watch old TV shows their are plenty of legit sites out there to find them.

Other than Hulu I don't know what you're talking about. They are on Youtube but they are frequently taken down. Most of them are on unauthorized sites.

Current shows, many networks have them online, and the ones that don't...probably can't.

Most cable networks don't, even though DVR's are allegedly ubiquitous...therefore there should be no reason for them to be hidden, if DVR's are everywhere.

Well that sucks, I lived off sites like ninjavideo and surf the channel when I was stationed in Korea. Yeah we have AFN out there but thats always lagging on what season is playing in the states and most websites like Hulu and the network's sites are blocked in certain countries.

seriously, these cable companies are so slow and not all shows are on demand. What if you dont have a DVR, how do you watch your favorite show that isn't on demand and takes weeks to upload. you find a website that has it

Example, I lived in a room at a conference center I used to work at. It was rather rustic, that being the main draw, therefore it didn't have cable or dish or TVs for that matter.

Those websites let me watch hockey and all the shows I missed. I'd watch it on the proper stations website if possible, but really, its not possible all the time.

You want to watch an MMA PPV go to Hooters, it's free.

You want to watch a boxing match go to Dave and Busters, it's 5-10 bucks.

You want a CD buy it on the first day, typically it's only around 10 bucks or so.

I rarely go to the movies. I pay for all of the movie channels so I can enjoy those things. If it's a hot new release I want to see, I will pay, if not...I can wait the three months or so before it hits my house.

EDIT: and a DVR is like having a DVD player these days...why wouldn't you have one.

Quoted for truth...

Other than Hulu I don't know what you're talking about. They are on Youtube but they are frequently taken down. Most of them are on unauthorized sites.

Most cable networks don't, even though DVR's are allegedly ubiquitous...therefore there should be no reason for them to be hidden, if DVR's are everywhere.

You can get a subscription to Netflix for 8.99/month (one disc out at a time, unlimited). With the Netflix subscription, they have tons of movies and shows that you can watch instantly by streaming them through a blu-ray player, newer TVs, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. If I'm not mistaken, you can even watch some stuff on the computer.

That's pretty cheap if you ask me.

It's not stealing if I do it.

Other people are criminals, not me.

In all honesty, there's a lot of gray. What if I have a cable subscription and download the video off the Internet. That appears legal to me, in fact I'm still paying my subscription, I just simply device and time-shifted which is completely legal.

What about sports? During the Sony trial all of the sports leagues said they didn't care if people taped their programs. In fact, if you read the Sony Supreme Court brief I think it is made clear that the ruling for "fair use" only applies for over-the-air programming, it says nothing about cable (although I imagine cable would stand up). Why do you think they aren't going after TV pirates but the movie pirates? Because if there was a TV pirate who said, "Hey, I pay for this on cable, its legal for me to have a DVR... I just use Internet as my DVR"... I don't believe Slingblade has gotten sued yet.

There was a time a lot younger when I didn't care, but now there is so much more interesting things on the Internet, that I'm sure the movie and music studios wished I would pay attention to the trash they are putting out.

Besides, in other businesses we call this "innovation". And again, there are plenty of free/cheaper alternatives that are legal and won't get you into trouble (as far as not watching the latest movie/tv shows).

I don't actually watch any cable shows. I just think the pricing is a ripoff.

But I'm curious. If you're skipping through the commercials, aren't you the one "stealing" from these cable channels? Even with the crazy subscription fees, I'm pretty sure a significant portion of their revenue is still ad-based. Isn't that why cable DVR's typically don't have those 30-second skip buttons? Or at least, I don't think they do. How do you justify your actions, middle-aged man?

I'm using a feature provided by the service provider. And the companies that pay to be on that service understand the dvr fast forward is available whippersnapper.

You can get a subscription to Netflix for 8.99/month (one disc out at a time, unlimited). With the Netflix subscription, they have tons of movies and shows that you can watch instantly by streaming them through a blu-ray player, newer TVs, PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii. If I'm not mistaken, you can even watch some stuff on the computer.

That's pretty cheap if you ask me.

Sure that's nice but money has to go towards important things

Such as World of Warcraft ;)

Archived