Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SB Nation DC: Redskins Fandom: Blind Love Or Insanity?

themurf

53644_redskins_zorn_medium.jpg

(courtesy photo)

[Editor's note: For those who haven't heard the news, I've started writing a weekly sports column for SB Nation DC. Since this one focuses on a topic near and dear to many of you, I figured I'd share it with the class. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated.]

My relationship with the Washington Redskins is a tricky one.

Like I’ve said before, I’m a lifelong fan. But that doesn’t mean it’s always been rainbows and lollipops.

Sure, the team won three Super Bowls before I was even old enough to drive, but that only set me up for the decades of heartache and despair that have followed.

You see your hometown team win that many games in breathtaking fashion and you’re bound to let your guard down.

It’s not like being a Cleveland Browns fan. They’ve sucked as two different franchises since day one, so if they were my team I’d simply be resigned to the mediocrity.

But watching Joe Gibbs and the Hogs and the Fun Bunch and Riggo and everyone else dominate convinced me at an impressionable age that my beloved Redskins would always reign supreme.

Then Gibbs retired. And Jack Kent Cooke passed away. And all hell broke loose.

After qualifying for the playoffs in eight of 11 seasons from 1982-1992, the Redskins have advanced to the postseason just three times in the last 17 seasons.

Sadly, none of those three playoff runs had any real chance of ending with [insert name of Redskins player here] looking into a camera all euphoric like and saying, “

It was just enough to make me remember how awesome those glory days truly were.

The days, if I’m being honest, sometimes I feel like that chick from the Pearl Jam song who can’t find a better man. Everyone else knows I’m in an abusive relationship, and when I’m all alone and have had a drink (or two) I might even admit it to myself, but I know I’m not ever going anywhere.

For better or worse, the Redskins are my team. But here’s the thing, when it comes to professional sports, there are a few characteristics I really feel strongly that my favorite teams should possess.

Patience. Stability. Dedication. Forward thinking. Long-term vision.

None of it is groundbreaking, but that doesn’t mean they’re automatics. Especially when it comes to the Redskins.

Patience means not panicking and overpaying for ill-fitted Jason Taylor when Phillip Daniels goes down on the first day of training camp. It means not giving up multiple draft picks for T.J. Duckett because Clinton Portis is on the shelf. It even means resisting the urge to gas up the jet on the first day of free agency for the shiniest toy on the market.

(Seriously, read that last sentence again. The Redskins over the last decade have officially become one of those “Black Friday” shoppers we all hate. Only they arrive at the Wal-Mart in a jet and think they can jump to the front of the line because they’re willing to pay 10 times the amount anyone else will for an iPad or Tickle Me Elmo. I’d say more, but it’s hard to type through the tears.)

Of course, stability comes from having continuity at key positions. If you’re bringing in a new head coach or defensive coordinator every other year, then it’s tough to establish any real sense of stability.

Dedication is what Steve Spurrier was allergic to. Ditto for Albert Haynesworth.

Click here for the full article.

Well written, but it's about 6 months too late to be writing that. The reason we brought in McNabb and Brown is because Shanahan is trying to salvage what 10 years of Snyderatto brought down. They weren't spur of the moment decisions that got us Haynesworth, Archuleta, and Taylor. They were well thought out, planned, and executed byy a competent FO. Note how we didn't bring in Karlos Dansby or Julius Peppers, and we drafted OL, instead of FS when everyone and their mothers had us taking Eric Berry.

We won't be changing coaches or FO personnell for a while now, we have continuity, and we will be back.

Well put, we all refuse to press charges 'cuz "I luvvvv him!"

But take heart, we are in rehab. Bruce Allen has already shown more football savvy in a few months than Vinnie did in his whole life.

Once we get past the DTs and projectile vomiting, we can start clawing our way back to health.

This front office needs time before it is judged. Whilst some of the moves may mimic decisions made in the past, it's not fair to eliminate them from the miriad of choices that are available to a front office. These guys already have enough 'badness' left over from the last regime without having the fan base judge them based off of Cerato's mistakes that they inherited.

while I understand the logic behind the article, I have to disagree with it... the moves being made currently are being executed by a GM and not a fantasy league owner with an incompetent racketball partner as the brains behind the operation... and like hitman21st said, we are plugging holes left by said football operations, rather than just going after the biggest and most expensive FA...

if you also gauge our moves by the rest of the league's reaction, I remember a whole lot of people shaking their head at our other FA acquisitions, but I'm seeing a majority of support over our recent ones...

while the moves being made it may resemble the past in some fashion, I believe our results this go around will not...

Well written, but it's about 6 months too late to be writing that. The reason we brought in McNabb and Brown is because Shanahan is trying to salvage what 10 years of Snyderatto brought down. They weren't spur of the moment decisions that got us Haynesworth, Archuleta, and Taylor. They were well thought out, planned, and executed byy a competent FO. Note how we didn't bring in Karlos Dansby or Julius Peppers, and we drafted OL, instead of FS when everyone and their mothers had us taking Eric Berry.

We won't be changing coaches or FO personnell for a while now, we have continuity, and we will be back.

while the moves being made it may resemble the past in some fashion, I believe our results this go around will not...

And that's the beauty of my argument - you're both actually agreeing with me. Like I said in the column, every year, no matter what happens, I convince myself that this year will be different.

Will that actually be the case this season? Who knows. But you're only repeating what I've been telling myself for 20 years now.

Welcome to the club.

That’s the stark difference between the mindset of the Capitals and the Redskins. One team is only concerned about winning now, while the other would like to win now, but is also mindful of the road ahead

based on the sort of moves we have made, i think the skins are trying to do a bit of both.

And that's the beauty of my argument - you're both actually agreeing with me. Like I said in the column, every year, no matter what happens, I convince myself that this year will be different.

Will that actually be the case this season? Who knows. But you're only repeating what I've been telling myself for 20 years now.

Welcome to the club.

that's what I mean about seeing your logic in the argument, but how can you refute that it would be reasonable to expect different results now that we have a real GM versus the unthinkable we had running the franchise previously?

the fact is we aren't doing the same thing this year, we are doing something completely different that we have in the past decade, and that's making football decisions from football minds...

The irony in some of the responses to this very very well written piece is so thick you could swim in it. :)

This article is not six months late. It's perfectly timed in the face of the euphoria of recent moves.

I'm right there with you Murf. The brick wall is right there in front of me, it hasn't budged in decades, and so help me I'm gonna go ahead and smack my head against it anyway. :)

that's what I mean about seeing your logic in the argument, but how can you refute that it would be reasonable to expect different results now that we have a real GM versus the unthinkable we had running the franchise previously?

the fact is we aren't doing the same thing this year, we are doing something completely different that we have in the past decade, and that's making football decisions from football minds...

The Redskins have made the playoffs three times in 17 years: in 1999, 2005, 2007.

If I'm not mistaken, Vinny Cerrato held a job with the Redskins from 1999 through 2009 (minus 2001 when he got Schottenheimer'd). While it pains me to say it, the 'Skins have actually made the playoffs three more times with Cerrato than without him over that span. I don't actually believe the 'Skins are better off with Cerrato, but I'm using him to prove a larger point.

Head coaches, front office types and countless coordinators have come and gone, but like I've said all along, the only constant over the last 17 years is heartache and disappointment. (Well, that and me talking myself into believing this time of year.)

The irony in some of the responses to this very very well written piece is so thick you could swim in it. :)

This article is not six months late. It's perfectly timed in the face of the euphoria of recent moves.

I'm right there with you Murf. The brick wall is right there in front of me, it hasn't budged in decades, and so help me I'm gonna go ahead and smack my head against it anyway. :)

I'm glad someone gets me. Thanks Henry.

Great write up. I do have to dispute one point.

It’s not like being a Cleveland Browns fan. They’ve sucked as two different franchises since day one, so if they were my team I’d simply be resigned to the mediocrity.

I have always had a soft spot for the Brownies. They have had some good teams and came very close to the Super Bowl. When Brian Sipe was QB, they called them the cardiac kids because they always kept it close and had some really good come from behind victories. When Bernie Kosar was QB, they would have made it to at least one SB if it had not been for John Elway and "The Drive". Another year it was Byners fumble.

Always the bridesmaid, but never the bride. The Brownies were quite good for a few years. Since then, they have sucked though.

I have always had a soft spot for the Brownies. They have had some good teams and came very close to the Super Bowl. When Brian Sipe was QB, they called them the cardiac kids because they always kept it close and had some really good come from behind victories. When Bernie Kosar was QB, they would have made it to at least one SB if it had not been for John Elway and "The Drive". Another year it was Byners fumble.

Always the bridesmaid, but never the bride. The Brownies were quite good for a few years. Since then, they have sucked though.

If you look at the first two comments over at SB Nation, they're from two of my closest friends who are diehard Brownies fans. Every year, the three of us make the trip to Cleveland to watch their favorite team in person and it's always an awesome time.

I actually joke with them that the only difference between the Redskins and Browns these days is the amount of money each team spends on payroll. So yeah, I promise that any perceived slight against the Browns is really just a cheapshot at two of my drinking buddies.

What Henry said (as usual). The main difference if we tank again for a couple years will be a level of depression that goes even lower across the realm then would have been thought possible by now.

Because if we don't notably improve steadily and consistently over the next 4-5 years after doing what appears to "everyone" to be "the right stuff", then we are truly going to feel cursed.

That's an article no Redskins fan wants to ever write or read. I am arguably positive (meaning I can logically defend some positive outlooks) about the course, but not "emotionally optimistic" and am definitely not cashing in any superfun happy checks yet. I have been a Redskins fan since before Bruce's dad worked here and I really need to start pacing myself. :pfft:

I have seen this (saddling optimism to "change and moves") too often this last decade to keep assuming the big picture of winning play-off games and championships is going to turn around because of good-looking off season activity.

I totally appreciate this brand of good-looking off-season activity but am well aware of the last decade and getting too excited too soon over too little too late.

We have a new defense to break in and a big issue to resolve, but that aspect and the personnel looks solid enough, though not overpowering to me. Our special teams unit shows the likelihood of competency, but nothing outstanding. Our kicking game is still a question.

Our biggest question remains the offense, with the QB position notably improved IMO (all pros and cons considered) but not dominant vs Manning/Romo sits to pee. We are still looking at an OL with our two "projected stars" being a rookie and a recently injured trade, surrounded by guys usually described as "serviceable" talent-wise. Our WR corps is very iffy IMO.

And we are in a damn tough division with very talented players/coaching among our opposition and a hard schedule.

I like what I am seeing to date compared to other major changes over the last 10 years by a significant margin (minus 2005), even viewing it with an informed and jaded if not jaundiced eye. But I really need to see it manifest in the games by a "W" at the finish before I get really excited again.

Hope springs eternal.

I think any football fan, including Browns' fans, put on the rose colored glasses and reason themselves into a playoff berth and then who knows what happens. But, we know what happens, the teams with the least amount of injuries and most depth and playing well at the end of the season are the teams that we watch in January in February.

Can we really go from a 4-12 team to a playoff team with a QB change, head coaching change and a new defensive allignment?

My head wonders but my heart, as always, tells me "look at the schedule, we have got 8 games for sure and a few turnovers and breaks and that's 10-6 baby, playoff bound"

While things are definitely deifferent in Ashburn, I aint drinkin' the koolaid this time, no sir.

I already drank it like I do every year. I just can't help it. I get my hopes up and by the third game of the season, I drown my sorrows in a few beers.

This year will be different though. I am sure of it!!!!!

I like the Capitals reference and I think the Caps are doing it the right way, but I'm always baffled when everyone says the Caps "Lucked" into getting Ovechkin. Lucked? They were the worst team in the league. There's no luck in getting the best player out there. The only point you may have is that they lucked out by winning the lottery, but the NHL Lottery is a joke compared the the NBA. They have it weighted so heavily in favor of the worst team, they may as well just do away with it. Can I ask Redskin fans who are also hockey fans did the Penguins "luck" into getting Fleury and Crosby 2 years in a row? If anything, the Capitals "deserved" a player like Ovie.

I know the Redskins are trying something new (getting veterans at modest salaries to fill holes instead of breaking the bank), but like Murf, it still urkes me to no end that we not only have given up our 2nd rounder for McNabb, we will give up possibly a 3rd or 4th next year and now we gave up a 3rd or 4th for Brown. At some time, we have to start valuing draft picks. I see that the FO wants to win now and rebuild at the same time, but I think they are trying too fast.

I understand the pessimism, but there is a common denominator from the past 10 years that has been removed from the equation, and it was a big enough factor, at least in my opinion, for me to suspend my pessimism... the NFL is a tough league!!! it's very hard to consistently win muchless build a championship franchise... having a meddling owner made that damn near impossible, but there are plenty of good GMs and coaches who do everything "right" and still don't build championship teams... that's not being snakebit or cursed, it's just being in a league that involves a lot of luck and chance to go all the way...

now that we have the right people in place making decisions, our odds of winning have increased considerably, in my opinion... that's all I can ask... cause for the past 10 years, we pretty much had no chance of building anything...

I would never deign to disagree with the likes of murf, Henry or Jumbo but if we were willing to be objective, this "offseason of change" has a very different flavor from the others we have endured.

IMO the single biggest and most important acquisition has been Bruce Allen. He has moved, not so much to change the team, but the very culture of the franchise. The outstanding reception on alumni day was something we have not seen in a long time. The whole demeanor of the FO's moves so far, wherein trades and deals happen and THEN we hear about them, handling team business in a professional sub rosa fashion, strikes me as a telling change. Even the comments from players to the effect that they are working hard and loving it is 180° different from before.

I have been around since the Allen in charge was George, I have suffered through the godawful years lately, and at heart, I am at least as cynical as anyone on this board, but I am willing to suspend judgement until we actually know better, if nothing else.

But I am very encouraged so far. Maybe just a lil sip of that KoolAid on a hot day wouldn't hurt................

I like the Capitals reference and I think the Caps are doing it the right way, but I'm always baffled when everyone says the Caps "Lucked" into getting Ovechkin. Lucked?

It takes luck because the worst team doesn't always get the first pick. It takes luck because the first pick sometimes turns out to be a bust like Kwame Brown. It takes luck because Ovechkin is a once-a-generation talent and if they'd have dicked around an extra year before blowing it up and committing to the plan, then he'd be playing elsewhere.

So yeah, I'd say luck was involved.

Archived