Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: When Jim Zorn was coach, Clinton Portis wanted out of D.C.

terrifNick21

He had 1,500yrd under Gibbs too..... Shanny was not his last. Thanks PTF

Edit: 08 he was what 12-20 yrds off of 1,500? **** PTF!

I don't see why you're complaining about that line. His two seasons under Shanahan eclipse anything he has done as a Redskin and I say that knowing full well how good he was for us in '05 and '08.

I don't see why you're complaining about that line. His two seasons under Shanahan eclipse anything he has done as a Redskin and I say that knowing full well how good he was for us in '05 and '08.

From what PFT is claiming is yards. CP first two years here with Gibbs he had 2,831 yards total. 1,315 in 04 then 1,516 in 05. Now that was in a different system that does not fit CP talents but he still delivered. So by PTF standard we are talking about a 268 yard difference. PFT shouldn't act as if shanny is the only coach to get good production out of CP.. That's all I'm saying

Edit: I'm sorry to mention his 3,099 total in Denver.

Portis insists that he's "never been a 'me' guy," and that any suggestion otherwise is just a reflection of the frustration he felt under Zorn.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

Does he think he's fooling anybody? He's always been "ME" guy, and probably always will be. I put him, MEangelo, and Fat Albert all in the same boat when it comes to the "ME" category.

:ols::ols::ols::ols:

Does he think he's fooling anybody? He's always been "ME" guy, and probably always will be. I put him, MEangelo, and Fat Albert all in the same boat when it comes to the "ME" category.

I'd agree with Fat Al, somewhat with Portis, but how has DeAngelo been a "me" guy?

When an employee (CP) can go around his boss (Zorn) and go straight to the owner (Snyder) and have the owner override what the boss has instructed the employee to do (practice) it is the worst of all possible situations. It emasculates the boss. It causes the employee to disrespect the boss. It causes friction among the other employees because this employee is treated differently by the organizaton because of his relationship with the owner. And in this case, it also makes the employee a fraction of what he could have been as a player.

Despite what CP says, that would make him a "me" type person, because he's screwed the team to get what he wants, not what the team needs.

People are forgetting the CP was not cleared to play by team doctors. So the practice stuff is moot, as he was not cleared to practice either. The fact that CP didn't push the doctors to clear him could be debated, but that is last year. He's shown up for everything this offseason that is voluntary so that should say something about his health (he's been cleared to practice/participate) and he's working hard. Now let's see if he makes the team.

I'd be miserable and want out too if I was being asked to repeatedly run into the line for 1-2 yards, taking a considerable beating in the process, while everyone blames me instead of the awful offensive line and coaching scheme. Nameless players that took over for him looked a lot better later in the season but so did the team as a whole. After the monumental collapse from the 6-2 start of the Zorn era, I can't imagine anyone went into last season expecting anything good to come of it.

Haynesworth brings about his own problems.

He was happy in TN in the defense they were running but was unwilling to sign a long-term deal there for perhaps $85M. He had to go for the gusto and try and push the envelope which meant a move to Washington to Tampa, but never considered he was leaving a team that was 13-3 and whose scheme was likely to stay the same for some time.

Washington had lost 6 of its last 8 and the hand-writing was on the wall in the offseason in 2009 that Zorn would be gone if the team didn't do well, and that would likely mean a change in systems.

I'm going to keep this short and simple, and I don't care what anyone says:

I like Clinton Portis as a football player on this team. He says too much at times, but most of it gets overblown because we've gotten so used to bland and vague statements made by players to the media. He's not a guy deserving of our focused anger for the failures of this team, not even close.

well, Portis is a realist :)

he knows WHEN he can get away with doing things and when it's time to shut up.

when Zorn was here it was anarchy on both sides of the ball.

Portis used the radio to grind some of his issues with coaches and teammates.

Now that Shanahan and Allen are here he is very quiet because he realizes the landscape has changed.

Portis is adaptable, Haynesworth is not.

That's one reason Portis has been more consistently productive over his career.

Haynesworth had back to back stellar seasons in TN, but has 5 other seasons on his resume where his play was not pro bowl caliber.

Archived