Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: When Jim Zorn was coach, Clinton Portis wanted out of D.C.

terrifNick21

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/17/when-jim-zorn-was-coach-clinton-portis-wanted-out-of-dc/

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 17, 2010 8:29 PM ET

Redskins running back Clinton Portis respects coach Mike Shanahan, a man he enjoyed playing for in Denver and is happy to play for again in Washington.

But former Redskins coach Jim Zorn? Not so much.

In an interview with Dan Hellie of NBCWashington.com, Portis said the atmosphere fostered by Zorn wore him down.

"You become nonchalant, you become a whatever, and I think I just became a whatever-type guy," Portis said, per the Washington Post. "The consideration of walking away, the idea of wanting to be traded, wanting to be out of D.C., all of the sudden it was like the people who you think know you buy into the outside conversation, like hmm, maybe he should be gone. I think that was more eye-opening, like I guess people really wanted me out of there. And I think there was a point, up until Coach Shanahan coming in, I really wanted out of there."

Portis insists that he's "never been a 'me' guy," and that any suggestion otherwise is just a reflection of the frustration he felt under Zorn. And he said that while he's been criticized in the past for not practicing, that won't be the case this season.

"This year I'm practicing, this year I feel great, this year I got a good feeling about our team," Portis told Hellie. "I think buying into the system, buying into the organization, knowing my role."

Portis is coming off the worst season of his career, having gained just 494 yards in an injury-shortened 2009. But at age 28, it's not too late for Portis to bounce back to the form he showed as a 1,500-yard rusher in Denver -- when Shanahan was his coach.

I don't know if I'd say Portis has "never" been a me-guy. I don't think he's been as bad as some people think, but he's had his moments for sure.

That said, Zorn was just not ready to be a head coach, and I have no doubt that that rubbed off on the team.

it's not too late for Portis to bounce back to the form he showed as a 1,500-yard rusher in Denver -- when Shanahan was his coach.

He had 1,500yrd under Gibbs too..... Shanny was not his last. Thanks PTF

Edit: 08 he was what 12-20 yrds off of 1,500? **** PTF!

I'll say it again...I lost so much respect for the Portis I once knew after seeing him dog it the last couple of years.

I don't see how guys like you can say that. He went from having 2 HOF Coaches in Shanny and Gibbs to Zorn, the biggest idiot on the sidelines we've ever seen, even MORE than Spurrier.

Its like being married to Jessica Alba, her leaving you, and then you marrying Rosie O'Donnell. Think you'd be excited about your marriage or sex life? I have to imagine Portis felt the same way last year. And I seriously doubt he was the only one one the team who felt that way.

Add to the fact that he and Gibbs were obviously EXTREMELY close, it just made things that much worse. If he gives 110% this year, like he always did prior to the Zorn years, I think you, and thousands of other Portis bashers should eat your crow and kiss his feet again. He was the unquestioned leader of our offense, and plays the game with passion. He hits better than any offensive player in the league. How can you NOT like this guy?

He hits better than any offensive player in the league. How can you NOT like this guy?

Gawg!!!!..... I wish I could find more vid's of CP blocking! Unfortunately there's none on YouTube any more.... :(

<object width="1280" height="745"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dagF3Xoyq3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dagF3Xoyq3Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="1280" height="745"></embed></object>

I don't see how guys like you can say that.

That's the difference between me and you, I can respect what he did in 2004-2007 and yet call it like I see it the last two years. The truth can be told, you don't have to take one side or the other.

And I seriously doubt he was the only one one the team who felt that way.

There's the rub, probably lots of other teammates did feel this way, but they showed up to work everyday and did their job anyways. I respect them for being professionals. And since you brought up the other teammates, how about the other players and coaches who were equally frustrated with Portis' dogging it? This is well known around the league, just read Darnell Dockett's comments today!

How can you NOT like this guy?

Easy. Give me a London Fletcher, Chris Cooley, or even Jason Campbell who didn't quit on the team (and you as a fan) because he didn't like the coach.

If he gives 110% this year, like he always did prior to the Zorn years, I think you, and thousands of other Portis bashers should eat your crow and kiss his feet again.

I have said it before (look it up), if Portis rededicates himself and plays well, I will of course acknowledge and respect it. Labeling me and anyone who dares speak the truth about our hero a "Portis basher" is silly. I have cheered for him from the minute he arrived in DC and will until the day he leaves. However, I will never turn a blind eye to team-hurting public incidents or anti-team professional behavior, I'm not a lemming.

What about Zorn first year when Portis literally carried the team. Plus you said from 04-07. Well remember Sean Taylor passed away in 07. After that I didn't think Portis cared much about football anymore. I think there is a quote somewhere with him saying something like football was nothing to him once Sean Taylor passed away. I think the only reason he's playing now is just for a pay check and nothing more. But at times you do notice that he really wants to win.

The whole problem with Zorn began in 2008. Portis was missing practice and the coaches became frustrated with it. Zorn temporarily pulled him from the Baltimore game and all heck broke loose.

Yeah that's all tru.... but how did "he" dog it in 08? his performance didn't say that at all nor did he give up on any body at that point. I'm sure it was staring to wear on him. Last year I will say that is the year were I've have seen him be the most unmotivated and it showed but not 08.

And Portis had a problem with that, because even though he missed the physical part of practice, he was still there for the film session of practice. Zorn tried to say he felt Portis wasn't prepared for passing situations and thats why he pulled him from that Ravens game. I understand why Portis had a outburst there, because Zorn was basically criticizing one of the best part of Portis game (blocking) and you just don't do that.

I've always had the impression that Clinton is going to be one of those guys who will walk away from the game. The thing is now that he's coming off a down year and some have been critical of him, I now think he is determined to hang in there a while longer.

I really hope his second marriage to Shanahan will produce the best out of him. I mean just two seasons ago this "washed up player" was on pace for nearly two thousand yards and was finishing good teams off in the final quarter. What he had was an oline that was playing well and a QB making plays. Funny how all those things need to come together.

Archived