Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Gather your armies" (Update: Barber fails to gather an army, loses primary)

SkinsHokieFan

Per the Washington Post today (July 14th, 2010)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/thefix/governors/bentley-clinches-republican-no.html

In the 2nd district runoff, establishment Republicans saw their preferred candidate, Montgomery Councilor Martha Roby, cruise to a victory over tea-party supported businessman Rick Barber.

Roby, who placed first in the June primary with 49 percent, was the heavy favorite going into the runoff but Barber sought to mobilize his tea party supporters with controversial ads in which he urged voters to "gather your armies" and equated the administration's economic policies to slavery. Roby will face freshman Rep. Bobby Bright (D) in the fall; a poll conducted for Bright's campaign in February showed him leading Roby 54 percent to 30 percent in a general election match-up

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an ad being run by a Congressional candidate in Alabama.

While I may agree with the spirit of his message about the IRS, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of this ad. In fact, I broke out in hysterical laughter

Impeach? Having an angry George Washington say "gather your armies"

Yea, Washington did do that, in 1791, to collect taxes during the whiskey rebellion (he clearly took his role as Commander in Chief seriously)

6iQ7ZDUutU4

He took an oath to defend the Constitution?

se·di·tion   /sɪˈdɪʃən/ Show Spelled[si-dish-uhn] Show IPA

–noun

1. incitement of discontent or rebellion against a government.

2. any action, esp. in speech or writing, promoting such discontent or rebellion.

3. Archaic . rebellious disorder.

That is hysterical.

Watching this yabbo call for impeachment of the President, suggest armed rebellion against the "tyrannical" US Government, all the while lecturing the Founding Fathers with simplistic talking points - and the FOunders buy into it? Oh, there couldn't be more fabulous entertainment than this. :laugh:

Anyone who says "this is my kind of guy" has very little respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers, IMO.

What exactly is his point?

That collecting taxes to support the government and our troops is unconstitutional tyranny?

"I took an OATH to defend this!" *pokes finger at Constitution*

I guess he forgot how the man who says "gather your armies" collected taxes.

That man literally went out with troops and kicked some ass

I guess he forgot how the man who says "gather your armies" collected taxes.

That man literally went out with troops and kicked some ass

I don't think he remembers something called "the Whiskey Rebellion," which started over taxes, and with George Washington showing a willingness to use troops against it, as a demonstration of federal authority, if needed.

This is Alabama we're talking about here.

Remember this?:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7fhIO7DG0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU7fhIO7DG0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

That is hysterical.

Watching this yabbo call for impeachment of the President, suggest armed rebellion against the "tyrannical" US Government, all the while lecturing the Founding Fathers with simplistic talking points - and the FOunders buy into it? Oh, there couldn't be more fabulous entertainment than this. :laugh:

Anyone who says "this is my kind of guy" has very little respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers, IMO.

Here go the libs spinning this off as him trying to start a civil war. "Gather your armies" is a metaphor for fighting politically for what you believe. He wouldn't be running for POLITICAL office if he was inciting a rebellion.

The Founders WOULD buy into it because they didn't make the government to be as overreaching as it is. The Founding Fathers would vomit if they saw how excessive, wasteful, and inefficient our government has become.

I guess you're referring to me as the one who said he's my kind of guy. How dare you judge me as not having respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers. The very reason I can't stand the Obama administration is because IT has no respect for either. Unfortunately, the Republicans do the same, just to a lesser degree. Backroom deals, bribes, and unmeaningful, self-serving photo op speeches do nothing to represent the people through the democratic process. Our government has so much corruption that you can't possibly believe at this moment that it respects the democratic process as it was meant to exist by the Founders.

Here go the libs spinning this off as him trying to start a civil war. "Gather your armies" is a metaphor for fighting politically for what you believe. He wouldn't be running for POLITICAL office if he was inciting a rebellion.

The Founders WOULD buy into it because they didn't make the government to be as overreaching as it is. The Founding Fathers would vomit if they saw how excessive, wasteful, and inefficient our government has become.

I guess you're referring to me as the one who said he's my kind of guy. How dare you judge me as not having respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers. The very reason I can't stand the Obama administration is because IT has no respect for either. Unfortunately, the Republicans do the same, just to a lesser degree. Backroom deals, bribes, and unmeaningful, self-serving photo op speeches do nothing to represent the people through the democratic process. Our government has so much corruption that you can't possibly believe at this moment that it respects the democratic process as it was meant to exist by the Founders.

yes ... i am sure the founding fathers would look at the United States and vomit. The most powerful, economically dynamic, vibrant nation in the world (sorry, in the history of the world) is something that would cause the founding fathers to vomit.

I am sorry, but this dude (and his ilk) is a booger eating moron, and a clown.

The very first line of the stupid ad shows his hand tapping a gun and he says: "And I would impeach him, and if that's not enough..."

What does that mean to you?

I guess you're referring to me as the one who said he's my kind of guy. How dare you judge me as not having respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers.

If the shoe fits? :whoknows:

I have no problem with thoughtful conservatives, but if you are inspired by this kind of angry shallow populist idiocy spouting about impeachment and implying armed rebellion, then I guess you are the kind of guy I was talking about.

Say, did the "The Ox vs. King Roy The Rat" ad inspire you too?

This is an ad being run by a Congressional candidate in Alabama.

While I may agree with the spirit of his message about the IRS, I couldn't help but laugh at the absurdity of this ad. In fact, I broke out in hysterical laughter

Impeach? Having an angry George Washington say "gather your armies"

Yea, Washington did do that, in 1791, to collect taxes during the whiskey rebellion (he clearly took his role as Commander in Chief seriously)

6iQ7ZDUutU4

waterboard'im

Have you been attention to the language used by some on the Right over the last year? Do you think people talking about secession -- over health care reform -- was a "metaphor" as well?

The guy in the T.V. ad tapped a pistol: Is that a metaphor as well?

George Washington was leading an army to crush the Whiskey rebellion -- do you think that was "overreach"?

The world is complex -- they would probably be pleased with our successes and displeased with our failures. I can certainly think of things that can fall into both categories, some of which is unrelated to "government overreach."

And with that in mind, do you think the BP spill was due to overreach, or perhaps not enough "reach"?

I guess you're referring to me as the one who said he's my kind of guy. How dare you judge me as not having respect for the democratic process or the Founding Fathers. The very reason I can't stand the Obama administration is because IT has no respect for either.

Did I somehow miss the Obama administration's military coup? Because, otherwise, I would like to hear more about your stance on this.

Also, with the War on Drugs and the War on Terror, we do have some issues with civil liberties, but those were already in place when Obama came into office, and, as far as I know, he hasn't done anything to worsen this (and nor has he done enough to improve it, either). Otherwise, can you cite some examples to support your POV?

Unfortunately, the Republicans do the same, just to a lesser degree.

To a LESSER degree? What? It has been right-winger in the GOP who have PUSHED for programs that have affected our democracy, to the determinant of our Bill of Rights. (Case in point, the previously mentioned War on Drugs and War on Terror.)

Backroom deals, bribes, and unmeaningful, self-serving photo op speeches do nothing to represent the people through the democratic process.

Do you think the Cheney Energy Task Force was an open meeting? Why do you think BP were able to get away with laxly regulated drilling efforts? Halliburton was also working on the rig when the accident happened -- now, who do you think had a relationship with this company?

And do you know how many Republicans have been indicted for "backroom deals" and "bribes"? This isn't just a one party problem, by any means, but you appear to oblivious to the high number of Republicans who have been involved with shady dealings.

And photo ops . . . oh, like all the Republicans who had photo ops at state programs funded by the spending stimulus . . . after they voted against it, and calling the stimulus "generational theft"?

Our government has so much corruption that you can't possibly believe at this moment that it respects the democratic process as it was meant to exist by the Founders.

The guy in this T.V. ad doesn't exactly strike me as a good alternative. I have heard the solutions from the Right, and that doesn't fill me with confidence, either.

Archived