Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WWDC 2010 is Underway!

Rdskn4Lyf21

I just love when anyone wants to talk Apple, an Asshat always shows up with some REAL constructive criticism.

I love my iPhone as my wife loves hers, and we REALLY love our iMacs.

The phone does everything we want VERY well. It fits our needs perfectly. I find it amusing all of the iPhone "Killers" that have cropped over the past 3 years. I am able to upgrade my phone, and the new iPhone couldn't have been more timely for me. Can't wait to get the new one. I simply love the new look. I like the flat back, kinda like the iPhone first gen back, which I liked better than the 3G and 3GS.

Someone talked about customer support earlier.

I had a recent need to call for a failed Hard Drive in the wife's iMac (I am sure someone will blame that on Apple). I called support, was on hold for almost 2 minutes. Then guess who answered? A Friggin American! It was such a nice relief, especially, after recently having to deal with some Indian helpdesk for a Microsoft License issue. Anyway, the call lasted a total of 8 minutes and I had an appointment at the Apple Store the next day. Went in, answered a few questions, and two days later the computer was ready for pickup and with a larger Hard Drive. Damn wife has bigger drive than me!

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but I have nothing but good experiences with Apple products and customer support.

BTW, if anyone plays Guitar or Bass TC-Electronic just released their PolyTune Tuner App. It is free to the first 25,000. I highly recommend it. Tracks well and was as acurrate as my Korg Rack Tuner.

my roommates phone just got the froyo flash update... the browser apparently is twice as fast as the ipads...

derr apfelfuhrer will be swallowing his cyanide pills soon

Flash is going the way of the floppy over next few years. I'm a big Adobe fan, love their products, but HTML5 is gaining a ton of support from developers and software companies. Microsoft has now come out and said that IE 9 (coming on late '10/early '11) will support HTML5 video among other HTML5 tags. The Mozilla Community has already fully embraced it and Apple's Safari supports it as well, meaning that it becomes much more viable for developers to providing content using HTML5 technologies.

HTML5 still has about one to two years before it's all the way there, but Apple has never been afraid to take a risk. Much like they risked sales of the iMac by not including a floppy (when the floppy was still in regular use), many said that it was a dumb move for Apple to exclude the floppy, however the market wanted the systems so much that the demand for alternatives to the Floppy arose (CD-R/RWs and DVD-Rs) and within a couple of years the Floppy was dead, along with other forms of magnetic disk based storage. It's already been shown that people are starting to require more iPhone/iPad/iPod compatible content (i.e. HTML5), and developers are going to go where the money is. Adobe knows this as well, considering they did quickly release an update for Dreamweaver CS5 allowing it to work with HTML5 tags and content.

Can someone tell me why this is so much better than a blackberry? Im sold on getting a Blackberry later this month, but I am wondering why an Iphone is better. By the way, listening to music will not be important to any degree in choosing my phone.

I have a BlackBerry and I love it. I think its pretty simple to use. Its definitely better if you need email. It may not have as many apps as the iPhone, but it has all the apps I need. Also, its much easier to text on a keyboard than on a touchscreen IMO.

The phone does everything we want VERY well. It fits our needs perfectly. I find it amusing all of the iPhone "Killers" that have cropped over the past 3 years. I am able to upgrade my phone, and the new iPhone couldn't have been more timely for me. Can't wait to get the new one. I simply love the new look. I like the flat back, kinda like the iPhone first gen back, which I liked better than the 3G and 3GS.

I agree about the new one, it looks amazingly slick. The only "iPhone killer" I'm concerned about is the Android, always been an Apple fan, but Google is an example of a company that does everything right just about every time. Other than that all the other ones I don't think Apple has much to worry about, just like with the iMac there were tons of "iMac killers" when it first came out and the only "iMac killer" was the new iMac.

I'm glad Google is giving them a good run for their money though, Apple has to put up or shut-up at this point.

It's just SO much hype, and seriously sending in a SWAT team because one of your dumbass employees left a prototype behind. Douchey.

No... Douchey is jumping into a conversation about something you say you dont care about to post snide comments and outright falsehoods. Swat team? Really? :rolleyes:

Flash is going the way of the floppy over next few years. I'm a big Adobe fan, love their products, but HTML5 is gaining a ton of support from developers and software companies. Microsoft has now come out and said that IE 9 (coming on late '10/early '11) will support HTML5 video among other HTML5 tags. The Mozilla Community has already fully embraced it and Apple's Safari supports it as well, meaning that it becomes much more viable for developers to providing content using HTML5 technologies.

HTML5 still has about one to two years before it's all the way there, but Apple has never been afraid to take a risk. Much like they risked sales of the iMac by not including a floppy (when the floppy was still in regular use), many said that it was a dumb move for Apple to exclude the floppy, however the market wanted the systems so much that the demand for alternatives to the Floppy arose (CD-R/RWs and DVD-Rs) and within a couple of years the Floppy was dead, along with other forms of magnetic disk based storage. It's already been shown that people are starting to require more iPhone/iPad/iPod compatible content (i.e. HTML5), and developers are going to go where the money is. Adobe knows this as well, considering they did quickly release an update for Dreamweaver CS5 allowing it to work with HTML5 tags and content.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

i don't personally care what developers use what... all i know is if i buy an apple product i can only use it the way mr jobs says i can use it.

lets be real here sir -- over the next year you're going to see a whole new gaggle of smartphones sporting android 2.2 and running flash perfectly fine while accessing the entirety of the internet.

you're talking about two years until apple has a legitimate product to stand behind when it comes to multimedia on the web. while android offers it right now.

thank you but i don't really need steve 'rim' jobs telling me what products are best for me.

Will it have video chat?

Almost certainly, based on the front-facing camera and iPhone 4 OS's video and group chat code. The real question is whether it'll be Wi-Fi only, a nugget that was indicated in the iPhone OS 4 Beta 2 SDK. Honestly, I don't think I'd mind one bit, given the havoc it would wreak on AT&T's already overloaded network.

Probability (Wi-Fi): 90%. Probability (3G): 20%.

Actually I think video chant and existing services like skype are the reason for AT&Ts new data plans. Video chat is going to use a LOT of bandwidth. The only way to cap it is to make people pay for what they use.

I put the probability of video chat on wi-fi AND 3G (if not 4G) at 99%.

BTW- has anyone tried "5-0 Radio" for the iPhone? I downloaded it as a $1.99 curiosity in the hope that it would scan Kennedy Space Center communications for launches. (It does) But listening into local police and emergency services as well as thousands of others from around the world is surprisingly addictive. LA is crazy. Those guys are busy with all kinds of crime and chaos. But the other day I was listening to the local cops and ended up catching a bust setup as they were directing cars into position. I missed it going down because I had a meeting, but it was cool. Should be really interesting the next time a big story breaks somewhere. I'll be grabbing my iPhone to tune in. :)

No... Douchey is jumping into a conversation about something you say you dont care about to post snide comments and outright falsehoods. Swat team? Really? :rolleyes:

You expect anything else from ACW? Hell, just look at all of his posts in the College Football threads.

Apple products may be hyped up immensely, but its for a reason. Every one of their products always exceeds expectations. I'd have an iPhone if I was with AT&T, but am perfectly fine with my Droid Eris at the moment.

I really like the Iphone, but i'm a fan of the free features I can get on my android that I couldn't on an Iphone.

Android 2.3 (gingerbread) should be released in Q4, and I am already anxious for it, as my hero running 2.1 performs worse than it did on 1.5, hopefully 2.3 will be different.

:yawnee:

:bfd:

As others have said - your posts in this thread have done nothing but reek of douchebaggery.

You seem to have a tendancy of making comments with little to no knowledge of the subject.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've never owned an iPhone or any other Apple product but are now trying to sit here and make comments about them being overhyped.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

i don't personally care what developers use what... all i know is if i buy an apple product i can only use it the way mr jobs says i can use it.

lets be real here sir -- over the next year you're going to see a whole new gaggle of smartphones sporting android 2.2 and running flash perfectly fine while accessing the entirety of the internet.

you're talking about two years until apple has a legitimate product to stand behind when it comes to multimedia on the web. while android offers it right now.

thank you but i don't really need steve 'rim' jobs telling me what products are best for me.

Jobs isn't telling you what products are best for you. Steve Jobs is just the CEO of a company that makes great products. Now, part of what makes these products great is that they just work. If Apple were to allow Flash on the iPhone or iPad, there is a chance that the experience would not be a good one, making many people pissed off that they bought an expensive device and it doesn't do something it says it can do. How much would it suck to buy a netbook for watching videos on the road and have it perform like **** because it can't handle playing videos?

If you want Flash, you should be happy with any of the Android phones that run Flash or you can download this app. Just don't complain when Flash doesn't load properly and causes crashes. If you look at the performance of Flash on mobile devices, it is not perfect at all.

Flash is old PC technology. A lot of Flash involves mouse overs. On a touchscreen device, mouse overlays do not exactly work because there is no mouse. Not to mention all the flash games available. How the hell do they work properly if you don't have a keyboard and a mouse and all you have is a touchscreen? I totally realize that a lot of content on the Internet is Flash based. But, with better alternatives like HTML5 coming out, it is making Flash become obsolete. As Hershey Pork said, Apple took a huge risk leaving out the floppy disk on the iMac and it turned out to be a huge gamble huge reward type scenario. I see the situation with Flash as the same.

Do I agree with Apples decision to totally abandon Flash on their portable devices? I don't necessarily agree with how they are doing it, but I understand the reasoning.

From Engadget.com

Flash Player 10.1

flash-on-mobile-hed-rm-eng.jpg

We have to say, it's really something to have a mobile browser that doesn't pop up little cubes with question marks all over the web, but we found that rediscovering Flash was much like reuniting with a high school friend; at first you've so much to catch up on, but then you realize how far you've grown apart. Adobe's pre-vetted list of Flash-enabled sites do a good job of showing off the technology, but we still can't help but think the interactive elements still have a lot of catching up to do. As for video, the stream is good quality but gets fairly choppy -- especially when you check out something "not optimized for mobile viewing." Some of the HTML5 footage we've seen via the same device shows up in crisper detail and fluidity. Battery and heat are also of concern: the pre-release beta we have, according to Adobe, lacks hardware acceleration. Ergo, our beloved handset got piping hot after about 30 minutes of heavy video watching, and the battery indicator in the upper right had a sizable dent.

Well the developers are what makes it all usable, so whether you care what platform they decide to code for is of little relevance because that's what's going to dictate how you actually use any of these devices.

I've seen this article before, and yes, Flash has the upper hand right now, but Flash has been losing its stronghold on the web for a long time. They are definitely correct that it's a business decision, it wouldn't be corporate politics otherwise, but Adobe isn't some innocent bystander in this. They had a golden opportunity to make Flash a much better program than it currently is when they merged with Macromedia. But they gutted the goose who lays the golden eggs by largely ignoring the pleas of the community of designers and developers asking them to improve the interface, improve the performance, etc. I know a number of developers who have come to hate Flash, including myself, due to it's arcane coding language, generally search engine unfriendly, and for the fact that a lot of dynamism can be achieved combining the power of CSS, PHP, and AJAX.

Over the next year while we'll see a number of phones come out based on the Android OS, in that same time span many more people will purchase iPhones among other smartphones not using the Android OS, mean that the market for a Flash alternative will grow. Hell, if Apple gets out of exclusivity with AT&T soon, and allows other carriers to have the iPhone their marketshare could nearly double overnight making it even more desirable for developers to adopt HTML5.

Furthermore it's not so cut and clear that every device running Android will support Flash perfectly fine. There's a reason Mac OS X and Linux (two UNIX based OS's) don't allow Flash to access the GPU for hardware acceleration, while it may improve performance it can also cause stability issues. Also from what I've read and seen, Flash still has a ways to go before its truly ready for the mobile realm. I've done some reading up on the Flash 10.1 beta for Android recently, and the results seemed to echo some of the issues Apple had with Flash; can be buggy, battery hog and performance drain. So it seems to me that Apple has a good reason, as do other companies, to support HTML5 as non-plugin based technologies represent a major shift in the dichotomy of internet media.

Also the article you posted shows Flash on a desktop, mobile architectures are completely different breed and I don't think that study can accurately be translated to mobile devices.

This is what makes the iPhone so great. When jailbroken you can do absolutely anything with it. That's why I love it so much.

The fact that people stand in line for hours for a cell phone or an electronic tablet pretty much supports that theory.

So pretty much every game system ever out has been overhyped? Concerts are overhyped? Playoff sporting events are overhyped?

:bsflag:

This is what makes the iPhone so great. When jailbroken you can do absolutely anything with it. That's why I love it so much.

But that's the thing, why should you have to jailbreak it in order to get the most out of it? Plus if something ever happens to your jailbroken iPhone or iPod, you're SOL.

But that's the thing, why should you have to jailbreak it in order to get the most out of it? Plus if something ever happens to your jailbroken iPhone or iPod, you're SOL.

I understand why some things are inaccessible in the phones. I'd bet the small percentage that use the most bandwidth have jailbroken phones. There are all sorts of modifications and applications that you can use that will have you up in the 10s of GBs in usage every month. Are there things that we should be able to access on something we purchase? Absolutely. I'm not going to ***** though because it takes about 3 clicks to jailbreak an iPhone now.

The statement you made about being SOL couldn't be more false. Do you know how easy it is to restore an iPhone back to factory settings? You click restore in iTunes. Magic, I know. I've had to go to the Apple store twice in the last few weeks because phones of mine either had a dead screen or couldn't connect to the network. They were both jailbroken and I simply restored them before I brought them in.

I understand why some things are inaccessible in the phones. I'd bet the small percentage that use the most bandwidth have jailbroken phones. There are all sorts of modifications and applications that you can use that will have you up in the 10s of GBs in usage every month. Are there things that we should be able to access on something we purchase? Absolutely. I'm not going to ***** though because it takes about 3 clicks to jailbreak an iPhone now.

The statement you made about being SOL couldn't be more false. Do you know how easy it is to restore an iPhone back to factory settings? You click restore in iTunes. Magic, I know. I've had to go to the Apple store twice in the last few weeks because phones of mine either had a dead screen or couldn't connect to the network. They were both jailbroken and I simply restored them before I brought them in.

But don't some people have problems jailbreaking their phone? I've thought about trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch but it seems risky from what I've heard. Is it really that easy to go back and forth?

But don't some people have problems jailbreaking their phone? I've thought about trying to jailbreak my iPod Touch but it seems risky from what I've heard. Is it really that easy to go back and forth?

I'd say about 90% of the issues people have jailbreaking come from an inability to follow directions and be patient. Jailbreaking hasn't been perfected yet, but it's practically there. If something goes wrong during the jailbreak, it's as easy as restoring.

Too many people spread misinformation. These people tend to be technologically incompetent or are like ACW and have never touched the product but make assumptions.

It really is that easy.

I remember on the first jailbreak for the iPhone 2G. We had to go through 26 steps to jailbreak the damn thing. If you messed up on one step (which sometimes it wasn't even your fault), you had to redo them all. I spent a few days jailbreaking my first iPhone. Now there's programs out which jailbreak your iPhone/iTouch/iWhatever with just a click of the button.

I'd say about 90% of the issues people have jailbreaking come from an inability to follow directions and be patient. Jailbreaking hasn't been perfected yet, but it's practically there. If something goes wrong during the jailbreak, it's as easy as restoring.

Too many people spread misinformation. These people tend to be technologically incompetent or are like ACW and have never touched the product but make assumptions.

It really is that easy.

I remember on the first jailbreak for the iPhone 2G. We had to go through 26 steps to jailbreak the damn thing. If you messed up on one step (which sometimes it wasn't even your fault), you had to redo them all. I spent a few days jailbreaking my first iPhone. Now there's programs out which jailbreak your iPhone/iTouch/iWhatever with just a click of the button.

I saw an article on Gizmodo about a month ago about how to do it. I've been thinking about it but just didn't want to scew my iPod Touch up.

For the record, I have nothing against the iPhone, it changed the way cell phones will be used forever. But I think its a little overplayed now. There are plenty of other phones that are just as good, if not better.

Archived