Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WWDC 2010 is Underway!

Rdskn4Lyf21

Full article: http://gizmodo.com/5553902/wwdc-here-comes-the-new-iphone-but-what-else

wwdc_rumors.jpg

We're just a few days away from Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, which means the rumor mill's heating up again. Let's take a look at what's burbling and see if we can't separate probable fact from probable fiction.

Will the new iPhone be announced?

Ever since Apple's next-generation iPhone was uncovered, there's been speculation that the early reveal would push the announcement up from the traditional WWDC Steve Jobs keynote. Looks like Apple hasn't rushed things after all; expect to see Apple's next iPhone introduced, officially, June 7th.

Probability: 100%.

Will it have video chat?

Almost certainly, based on the front-facing camera and iPhone 4 OS's video and group chat code. The real question is whether it'll be Wi-Fi only, a nugget that was indicated in the iPhone OS 4 Beta 2 SDK. Honestly, I don't think I'd mind one bit, given the havoc it would wreak on AT&T's already overloaded network.

Probability (Wi-Fi): 90%. Probability (3G): 20%.

Will its back detect multitouch gesture controls?

The majority of the iPhone's hardware is a known quantity this year, but the exact material of the back is still up for debate. Is the glass/plastic/ceramic material on the flat back designed to let cell signals through more easily? Or will it detect multitouch gestures for easier music and app controls? There hasn't been much to support this theory other than pure speculation, and while it would be a nice surprise it's not something I'd bank on.

Probability: 20%.

Will the new iPhone go on sale?

Mashable and others have speculated that the next iPhone will go on sale simultaneously with its announcement. That would certainly break with tradition: typically, Apple releases its handsets in late June/early July. The original iPhone dropped on June 29, 2007, the 3G came on July 11, 2008 and the 3GS arrived on June 19, 2009. And AT&T's recent actions—blocking employee vacation this month and pushing up eligibility dates to June 21st—certainly indicate a release around that time. So while the schedule may be sped up somewhat, it's not likely that you'll be able to buy a new iPhone next week.

Probability: 10%

.....and a few more images and concept art: http://modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/712809-cant-get-enough-these-iphone-4-leaks-more-images-concepts.html

I'll be in line to get the next-gen iPhone. I'm not a huge Apple fan and don't any other Apple products aside from an iPhone 3G but that phone is much, much better and more reliable than any other phone I've owned previously.

I don't care about the rest of their products but they make the best damn phone on the planet, hands down.

:bfd:

Thanks for continuing to contribute to the discussion :saber:

I'll be in line to get the next-gen iPhone. I'm not a huge Apple fan and don't any other Apple products aside from an iPhone 3G but that phone is much, much better and more reliable than any other phone I've owned previously.

I don't care about the rest of their products but they make the best damn phone on the planet, hands down.

Not only is the product incredible, but the customer service couldn't be better. I finally bought my first Macbook and between the two I don't think I'll ever leave Mac. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch, but the products are great and the customer service cannot be beat.

The video calls will be fun to use and would be great with programs like Skype.

Not only is the product incredible, but the customer service couldn't be better. I finally bought my first Macbook and between the two I don't think I'll ever leave Mac. I'm not a fanboy by any stretch, but the products are great and the customer service cannot be beat.

The video calls will be fun to use and would be great with programs like Skype.

I haven't ever used their customer service so I can't really attest to that. It's just a damn good phone and maybe that's why I've never needed to use their customer service. I can't think of a phone that I've ever owned that was so reliable in every aspect that it is. Perhpas my old brick Nokia from 1999 would compare in terms of reliablity.

Seriously, Apple's products are so overhyped.

I'd agree, except for the iPhone. I didn't get one until way after the 3G came out, I never bought into the hype. My piece if garbage LG broke so I needed a new phone and decided to pick an iPhone up. It was everything I expected and more. Apple puts out a new iPhone, I'm buying the hype.

I'm more anticipating the HTC Aria announcement by AT&T... I've never been one to get the most popular thing when it comes out... I like the underdog I guess... Too many Iphones but more excited about the android platform...

It's just SO much hype, and seriously sending in a SWAT team because one of your dumbass employees left a prototype behind. Douchey.

Thanks for backing up your hype comment with the use of "SO much" :ols:

I still think that whole situation was one big marketing move.

Can someone tell me why this is so much better than a blackberry? Im sold on getting a Blackberry later this month, but I am wondering why an Iphone is better. By the way, listening to music will not be important to any degree in choosing my phone.

My brother has a Blackberry for his job and an iPhone for personal use. He hates the blackberry, not because of music or anything like that, but in his words, the iPhone is just easier to use. He's not a tech guy, so he doesn't sit playing with his phone for hours, he doesn't have time to figure it out like that.

My dad has a Droid and while its very nice and I'd have no problem with it if I couldn't have my iPhone, He is constantly asking me for help with it and I'm very tech savy and I struggle at times because its not as easy as the iPhone.

I don't think everyone needs an iPhone. I think its a luxury. Mine is so sacred because I have a bunch of movies and apps for my 4 year old on mine and he loves it. He learns with it. I don't have a DVD player in my truck so my phone is his entertainment system when we are driving. I also have the Navigon navigation system that I got for 15 bucks... AWESOME. No need for a stand alone navigation system for trips.

I don't understand the hate for Apple and AT&T. I switched from Tmobile, then Verizon previously. In SE Virginia, AT&T is the same as Verizon. I think a lot of people buy into the BS. I never have dropped calls except when talking to my brother on his blackberry, which is Sprint.

If you don't like Apple, good for you. If you don't like AT&T, good for you. But who cares... :beatdeadhorse:

My brother has a Blackberry for his job and an iPhone for personal use. He hates the blackberry, not because of music or anything like that, but in his words, the iPhone is just easier to use. He's not a tech guy, so he doesn't sit playing with his phone for hours, he doesn't have time to figure it out like that.

My dad has a Droid and while its very nice and I'd have no problem with it if I couldn't have my iPhone, He is constantly asking me for help with it and I'm very tech savy and I struggle at times because its not as easy as the iPhone.

I don't think everyone needs an iPhone. I think its a luxury. Mine is so sacred because I have a bunch of movies and apps for my 4 year old on mine and he loves it. He learns with it. I don't have a DVD player in my truck so my phone is his entertainment system when we are driving. I also have the Navigon navigation system that I got for 15 bucks... AWESOME. No need for a stand alone navigation system for trips.

I don't understand the hate for Apple and AT&T. I switched from Tmobile, then Verizon previously. In SE Virginia, AT&T is the same as Verizon. I think a lot of people buy into the BS. I never have dropped calls except when talking to my brother on his blackberry, which is Sprint.

If you don't like Apple, good for you. If you don't like AT&T, good for you. But who cares... :beatdeadhorse:

Code,

thanks for your advice, I might actually get an I phone if it's that much easier, the only thing I like about the Blackberry is I can edit word documents on there but that's about it, my main concern is having a good web browser.

Code,

thanks for your advice, I might actually get an I phone if it's that much easier, the only thing I like about the Blackberry is I can edit word documents on there but that's about it, my main concern is having a good web browser.

No comparison on webbrowsers, iPhone wins easy. Not because the iPhone has a better browser than other smat phones, but compared to the blackberry, it's no comparison.

Archived