Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which RB will get the most playing time?

msak24cardss

I think CP has a new lease on life with some real direction to follow. Zorn and even Gibbs let him do his own thing and meander his way through. MS will not allow that and I think that is huge for CP.

CP will have the bulk of the carries and will be in the best shape of his career here.

LJ will get plenty of touches and handle the short down and WP will be our third down back.

I am really looking forward to this season to start already!!!

HTTR!

Could someone more knowledgeable than me shed some light on potentially rostering 4 HB's when the season starts, just curious which position would most likely lose a roster spot in this scenario.

I imagine we could slim down to only having 2 QB's with McNabb / Grossman but I dont know how likely that would be under Shanahan or if he would be more inclined to hold a WR or LB off the roster.

Could someone more knowledgeable than me shed some light on potentially rostering 4 HB's when the season starts, just curious which position would most likely lose a roster spot in this scenario.

I imagine we could slim down to only having 2 QB's with McNabb / Grossman but I dont know how likely that would be under Shanahan or if he would be more inclined to hold a WR or LB off the roster.

Well, that's been our roster structure since 2004. FB is usually where we go light.

CP is healthy, rested, and motivated. He's the youngest, freshest, and fastest veteran RB on the roster. This will be a big year for CP and the Shanahan running game will be alive and well in DC.

#2 is LJ and he will spell CP.

Since we can't talk about people that are not on the roster ;-) BW isn't a choice.

I would suspect that if BW signs on that he will be the #2 and the CP, BW tandem will definitely cause some issues with opposing defenses.

HTTR!!!

I really feel like it'll be 15-20 for Portis, 7-10 for LJ, and 5-10 for Willie. That comes out to 27-40 running plays a game, plus fresh running backs the whole game AND the whole season. At 4 yards a carry (my very conservative estimate), that comes to 108-160 yards a game rushing. I'll gladly take that.

Which RB will get the most playing time? Clinton Portis. One, he's played for Shanahan before. And two, he has something to prove to himself after a concussion cut his season short. Of the three, Portis is the most spectacular. Larry Johnson will get a lot of carries as well. I can even see them not having a regular starter at halfback. The may rotate the starting role during the season.

i still think there's a pretty good chance willie parker isn't on the 53-man roster. by all accounts he has been the least impressive of the Big 3, he isn't worth a damn on third downs, and he doesn't play special teams. i think he might be gone whether we sign westbrook or not. and i'd be fine with it, because i'd like to see torain get a little playing time. if fully recovered from his major injury, he could be the clay in shanny's master-potter hands.

does starting really mean all the much.

IF we keep all 3 RB going into the season, do you think who starts is important? We will probably be using a cycle system that keeps everyone fresh. I think that they may start a diff back every few games. I think that starting is overrated when we have 3 former #1 RB. We should be asking, who will get the most touches. Starting RBs dont necessarily always get the most touches in a game. what do you think?

i still think there's a pretty good chance willie parker isn't on the 53-man roster. by all accounts he has been the least impressive of the Big 3, he isn't worth a damn on third downs, and he doesn't play special teams. i think he might be gone whether we sign westbrook or not. and i'd be fine with it, because i'd like to see torain get a little playing time. if fully recovered from his major injury, he could be the clay in shanny's master-potter hands.

Well put. I'm hoping to see Torrain shine and beat out Parker, soundly, in the preseason, while also showing that he has good ST value.

Larry Johnson has only been able to play and start 16 games once in his entire career.

He hasn't logged more than 193 carries in a season since 2006.

Yet some think he can carry the load here?

I tend to wait for evidence to support my position.

Therefore until proven otherwise, Clinton Portis is the main man in this backfield and will get the most touches.

In his two years with Shanahan, Clinton carried about an average of 280 times each season. I suspect the leading ball carrier on this team this season (barring injury of course) will get about 260 carries. Since Larry has only carried this much or more only twice in his entire career and Clinton has only carried less than this amount only twice in his career, it's a safe and sound bet that Clinton will be the one better equipped to accomodate this work load.

Slow Willie isn't even in the discussion IMO but who knows he may end up surprising everyone come the preseason but I wouldn't bank on it.

If Westbrook is signed then Parker gets cut, Portis (who will get more carries) and Westbrook share the backfield with LJ as the third down back, which means he is a concussion away from at permanent starting job this season.

If no Westbrook then LJ shares with Portis and Parker is the third down back.

According to Comcast SportsNet Washington, Willie Parker has shown little burst on the Redskins' practice field at OTAs.

"He probably looks a lot like he did the last two years in Pittsburgh when he averaged 3.8 yards a carry," observed beat writer Rich Tandler. Tandler predicts that Parker won't make the final roster, and that Ryan Torain is likely to be No. 3 behind Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson. These are damning words for Parker, who may be on the brink of falling out of the league if cut.

According to Comcast SportsNet Washington, Willie Parker has shown little burst on the Redskins' practice field at OTAs.

"He probably looks a lot like he did the last two years in Pittsburgh when he averaged 3.8 yards a carry," observed beat writer Rich Tandler. Tandler predicts that Parker won't make the final roster, and that Ryan Torain is likely to be No. 3 behind Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson. These are damning words for Parker, who may be on the brink of falling out of the league if cut.

Sorry Willie boy, but I'd love for this to happen, and for Torrain to be explosive and show that he deserves more and more carries as the season goes on!

Archived