Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which RB will get the most playing time?

msak24cardss

Believe it or not I think Larry Johnson will end up the Redskins starter. I believe he has more left in the tank, and wants to show the league he's not done. Parker will be cut and Westbrooke will be signed as a 3rd down back. Portis and Johnson will split carries till CP goes out in the 2nd game with another injury.Fred Davis will push Cooley for starting time as well.

Just my thoughts, lets hear yours!!!!!!

I have a feeling Portis is on thin ice with Redskins brass and if he isn't completely ready to hit this season at full speed that Shanahan isn't going to put up with any of the nonsense. I think Portis probably smells the writing on the wall that he isn't going to be given much leash this season and hopefully he is in the best shape of his life.

One name left off the list is Ryan Torraine (sp) who Shanny basically brought in here personally and may be more suitable to sticking around as the 3rd option than any of the others listed because he can play special teams.

I think its going to be Portis. Though hes almost done as a starter I still feel he has one good year left in him.

Only time will tell though.

I have a similar feeling that Coach Mike will get one or two real good years out of Clinton.

As much as the off-field B/S irks and embarrasses' the living piss out of us from Clinton; I'm real intrigued to see the new, slimmed down version back in Shanahan's "one cut and go" scheme. Throw in an upgraded line within that scheme, and finally having a competent pro QB who'll keep opposing D's honest and open up the run; and this is Clinton's chance to put his money were his mouth is and get back to something he's not been since his first go-around with the HC. An elite back in the league.

Hail.

If you follow Shanny's history, you'll know that guys will rush for 200 in one game and be in street clothes on the sidelines in the next. He has a quick doghouse, expects them to practice and does not tolerate fumbles. This makes it impossible to predict who will get the most playing time on Sunday morning during the season much less trying to do it in May.

I agree that Portis will be much better with LJ pushing him. I think the big story this year will be the two headed monster of Portis and Johnson. That will be fun to watch.

I think Portis will start, though, and will get more carries.

People seem to forget that Clinton Portis has been the most productive back in the 2000's less LT. Clinton's been at every workout, a clean bill of health, has a chip on his shoulder, and is a season and half removed from a 1500yd year. I wouldn't be surprised if he got +1000yds. Shanahan is a running back by commity type coach, though. So I wouldn't be surpised if each of the three backs had +800yds.

Can't wait to see, this coupled with the McNabb coming into town is the most anticipated part of the season.

I believe the starter will be LJ for the most part...but I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanny rotate each as a starter depending on who were going up against (which would be tough for all teams around the league to prepare for imo)

How our running game shapes up will be most interesting.

I doubt that we will sign Westbrook. If we did, would the game plan be just like the Eagles? If so then I would see Westbrook getting all the work, Clinton as backup, and LJ as power back.

With our current roster I think we would have a more balanced run pass game plan as is Mike S. style. I see Clinton and Larry getting about equal carries.

We have three quality running backs that can get the job done.

Its going to be CP with Johnson as his backup. CP has had more success than the other 2 and more experience with Shanahan and his system. When healthy, CP is still a top 10 back in the league. I think he'll do fine this season.

I agree with that statement, but I also would not be surprised to see Shannahan cast off most the backfield and add another RB that gets cut. He is really unprdictable when it comes to RBs, until he finds what he likes.

Archived