Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wealthiest members of Congress

Seabee1973

Here are the top 10 richest members of congress

http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Wealthiest-members-of-congress.aspx?cp-documentid=24197206&imageindex=1&cp-searchtext=Wealthiest%20members%20of%20Congress&FORM=MSNIIT

Facing election-year pressure to keep a lid on their salaries, lawmakers in Congress quietly agreed last week not to increase their pay next year. As a result, most members of Congress will earn $174,000 in 2011, the same amount they're getting this year.

click link above for more

I'm actually surprised that very few were born into it.

Some of them married into it (Kerry, Harman, Feinstein), but most of them actually started their own businesses and made their own fortunes: Issa (the "Viper" car alarm), Warner (Nextel), Polis (Proflowers.com), Buchanan (American Speedy Printnig), Lautenberg (ADP), and Teague (Teaco Energy) are all American success stories in their own right.

Maybe the same thing that makes these people successful entrepeneurs makes them good politicians. Hard work and building good relationships is a key to both business and politics.

Our country was forged and made great in era's when politics were run almost entirely by people WITH or WHO CAME FROM money. Political service was seen as an honor and a duty to many who came from privileged families who wanted to see that the work of past generations continued on so that America remained great.

Only recently has this paradigm shifted which has also not surprisingly coincided with corruption and scandal in our political bodies. Go figure.

8 out of 10 are Dems. Why am I not surprised.

Don't hate because Dems through hard work and ingenuity earn their money while Republicans are shiftless bums who rely on welfare. The highest welfare states are the Red states.

(How's that for turning the table on what Repubs are always saying)

Don't hate because Dems through hard work and ingenuity earn their money while Republicans are shiftless bums who rely on welfare. The highest welfare states are the Red states.

(How's that for turning the table on what Repubs are always saying)

Substantiate please.

I don't know if this is the best link to make the argument, but it is the first one I found. Republicans frequently complain about Dems redistribution of the wealth and sucking resources, but if we look at facts, it's generally the Red States that gobble up the most and demand the greatest degree of redistribution with the least contribution.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

Monday, September 27, 2004

The Tax Foundation has released a fascinating report showing which states benefit from federal tax and spending policies, and which states foot the bill.

US 50 States MapThe report shows that of the 32 states (and the District of Columbia) that are "winners" -- receiving more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes -- 76% are Red States that voted for George Bush in 2000. Indeed, 17 of the 20 (85%) states receiving the most federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Red States. Here are the Top 10 states that feed at the federal trough (with Red States highlighted in bold):

Oh, on an aggregate level, the Red states collect and use more money for welfare than the blue states. I don't know if this is the best link to make the argument, but it is the first one I found.

http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2004/09/red_states_feed.html

Red States Feed at Federal Trough, Blue States Supply the Feed

Monday, September 27, 2004

The Tax Foundation has released a fascinating report showing which states benefit from federal tax and spending policies, and which states foot the bill.

US 50 States MapThe report shows that of the 32 states (and the District of Columbia) that are "winners" -- receiving more in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes -- 76% are Red States that voted for George Bush in 2000. Indeed, 17 of the 20 (85%) states receiving the most federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Red States. Here are the Top 10 states that feed at the federal trough (with Red States highlighted in bold):

you're right not the best study for your claim. Here's 2 that do not support your assertion.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco_wel_cas_tot_rec_percap-caseloads-total-recipients-per-capita

and.....

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31910310/The_Biggest_US_Welfare_States?slide=1

Just for fun, I'll counter with this... (from the same page I gave before because I'm lazy)

States Receiving Most in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. D.C. ($6.17)

2. North Dakota ($2.03)

3. New Mexico ($1.89)

4. Mississippi ($1.84)

5. Alaska ($1.82)

6. West Virginia ($1.74)

7. Montana ($1.64)

8. Alabama ($1.61)

9. South Dakota ($1.59)

10. Arkansas ($1.53)

In contrast, of the 16 states that are "losers" -- receiving less in federal spending than they pay in federal taxes -- 69% are Blue States that voted for Al Gore in 2000. Indeed, 11 of the 14 (79%) of the states receiving the least federal spending per dollar of federal taxes paid are Blue States. Here are the Top 10 states that supply feed for the federal trough (with Blue States highlighted in bold):

States Receiving Least in Federal Spending Per Dollar of Federal Taxes Paid:

1. New Jersey ($0.62)

2. Connecticut ($0.64)

3. New Hampshire ($0.68)

4. Nevada ($0.73)

5. Illinois ($0.77)

6. Minnesota ($0.77)

7. Colorado ($0.79)

8. Massachusetts ($0.79)

9. California ($0.81)

10. New York ($0.81)

Two states -- Florida and Oregon (coincidentally, the two closest states in the 2000 Presidential election) -- received $1.00 in federal spending for each $1.00 in federal taxes paid.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.

Estimated net worth: $42 million

How she got rich:

According to reports, she and her husband have a diverse investment portfolio that includes ownerships and partnerships.

riiiiiight.

Ummm... since when did DC and Guam become states?

# 1 District of Columbia: 7.835 per 100 people

# 2 Guam: 6.397 per 100 people

# 3 Rhode Island: 3.319 per 100 people

# 4 Tennessee: 3.026 per 100 people

# 5 California: 3.005 per 100 people

# 6 Maine: 2.842 per 100 people

# 7 Alaska: 2.4 per 100 people

# 8 West Virginia: 2.283 per 100 people

# 9 Indiana: 2.241 per 100 people

# 10 Washington: 2.238 per 100 people

# 11 New Mexico: 2.23 per 100 people

# 12 Vermont: 2.044 per 100 people

So, if we look at the top 10 states we find using your link 5 red states and 5 blue. (DC really ought to get its act together though)

So, if we look at the top 10 states we find using your link 5 red states and 5 blue. (DC really ought to get its act together though)

Actually, if any jursdiction should be on the top of the list, it is Washington DC

One of those its constiutionally mandated the federal government help fund the seat of government.

Ummm... since when did DC and Guam become states?

# 1 District of Columbia: 7.835 per 100 people

# 2 Guam: 6.397 per 100 people

# 3 Rhode Island: 3.319 per 100 people

# 4 Tennessee: 3.026 per 100 people

# 5 California: 3.005 per 100 people

# 6 Maine: 2.842 per 100 people

# 7 Alaska: 2.4 per 100 people

# 8 West Virginia: 2.283 per 100 people

# 9 Indiana: 2.241 per 100 people

# 10 Washington: 2.238 per 100 people

# 11 New Mexico: 2.23 per 100 people

# 12 Vermont: 2.044 per 100 people

Why did I know someone would use a technicality like that. DC is bluer than blue. Look at the other link too. You made the claim I was just trying to understand why you did.

I agree, but for the sake of argument, it really ain't a state and you can't treat it like a state only when it's convenient to the argument. Give 'em more than a phantom Senator and some Reps... otherwise, you need to compare it to other urban cities and not states... and I bet if I pulled up a bunch of major cities in Red states or Blue we'd find other depressing stats.

$1.74 million median net worth? Not really that great, if you consider that if you own your home outright (which is a reasonable expectation if you're as old as, say, Jon Kerry)in an area like DC and have money stashed away in 401(k)/IRA. That sounds about right and probably should even be more since they're close to retirement age.

So this net worth ain't exactly liquid. Not saying any of these ****s are poor but a lot of working schlubs could be in that ball park easily, no?

riiiiiight.

Feinstein is a clear example of marrying into it. Her first husband passed away, and after becoming mayor of San Francisco, she married a rich investment banker who is now constantly accused of profiting from government contracts.

Archived