Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Sun: Noah's ark found in Turkey:

Thiebear

rudechain,

Since up until recently, almost all of civ was founded around water. They needed it for crops and livestock. It really only in the last 2 hundred years that we have had huge cities not near the water.

Now think of every major town or city near water. Which one has not had a major flood in the last 100 years? My bet is most have. Is it impossible to think most of civilization had flood stories because of where civs were located.

How was history primarily kept before the printing press? Oral histories? Once you go back more than a few generations, is it crazy to think one locations great great great grandparents might be seen as the same time as some other civ's great to the x grandparents. "I mean waht are the odds we would have 2 floods where God got that angry? Of course it's the same flood."

"Well, my great grandpa said his great grandpa's parents surivived a hug flood. They had to take the animals they could and ride it out because their house, heck everyone's house, was wiped away. It because God was angry."

"Funny my great great grandpa told the same story. God much have been really angry to wipe away everyone!"

"How long do you think it had to rain? Well it was longer than we usually get a during the rainy season...maybe it was 40 days? It's hard to say. They said the moon was big and gone."

I have no dificulty imagining why different civilizations might have a very similar story about a great flood. Ever wonder why so many civilizations have had gods of the sun or wine or death or pretty much anything else important in their lives? So many stories are shared. Heck, even our 10 commandments resemble the code of Hamurabi (sp?).

I guess there's a chance that whatever is up there is simply a hut. The article says nothing about the size of the structure, whether its a boat, whether the its above ground or under ground, where it is, etc. The most likely explanation is simply "hut."

I still have a hard time believing that he traveled the globe almost 5,000 years ago and rounded up every land animal on the earth.

You know, to an Israelite in biblical times, the entire world would've been the Middle East, North Africa, Greece, and maybe India and Italy...maybe.

You know' date=' to an Israelite in biblical times, the entire world would've been the Middle East, North Africa, Greece, and maybe India and Italy...maybe.[/quote']

Or it may have just been israel, because the other areas were unimportant to them.

I guess there's a chance that whatever is up there is simply a hut. The article says nothing about the size of the structure, whether its a boat, whether the its above ground or under ground, where it is, etc. The most likely explanation is simply "hut."

The most likely explanation is "fundraising."

So it's your contention that somebody built a 40x40 qupid ship complete with stalls and left it 3000 feet up some mountain, as a prank?

Somebody with time on their hands and a good sense of humor? Wanted to leave posterity a nice conversation piece?

No. I didn't say that at all. I said "stalls" don't prove anything. And I'm right.

I think it is nearly impossible to prove a boat was in fact, Noah's Ark. The only thing scientists and archeologists can do is rule things out, and the remaining gap needs to be filled in people's minds.

Anyway, regardless of a person's position on the Old Testament, or the Bible in general, I think it's impossible to definitively prove this story one way or the other.

gbear:

I don't dispute that most civilzations lived near a water source. Not all of them were coastal though. Some migrated near rivers such as the Babylonian civilization. But what I find interesting is this same story has been found in civilizations all around the globe. And the similaraties of some are uncanny. In particular, the comparison of Noah and Utnapishtim.

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7495424&postcount=11

I don't doubt that there was a flood. But I do wonder if it was an actual global catastrophe. Back during the days of Noah or Gilgamesh, their region was their world. It was the world they knew. So for them to say the world was inundated by a great flood is much different than you or I making that statement today.

But let's take a look at the striking similaraties of two stories in particular. Noah and Utnapishtim found in Gilgamesh's epic

Both stated the extent of the flood was global.

Noah's story states the reason for the flood is man's wickedness where the Gilgamesh story says it's due to man's sins.

The flood in the Noah story was intended for all mankind where Gilgamesh's was for one city and all mankind.

In Noah's story God sent the flood and in Gilgamesh's it was the assembly of gods

both heros (Noah and Utnapishtim) were considered rightous.

Noah was told of the flood directly from God while Utnapishtim was warned in a dream.

Both were ordered to build a boat.

Both heros complained and both were to gather two of all animals.

Both released birds to find land.

And there are more, but these stand out to me. You don't find that the similarities are uncanny?

The most likely explanation is "fundraising."

Yeung Wing-Cheung, from the Noah's Ark Ministries International research team, said: "It's not 100 per cent that iis Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it."

They blinded him with science!!!

tomdolby.jpg

I don't doubt that there was a flood. But I do wonder if it was an actual global catastrophe. Back during the days of Noah or Gilgamesh, their region was their world. It was the world they knew. So for them to say the world was inundated by a great flood is much different than you or I making that statement today.

Of course...the simple fact is that someone in the Middle East would have no clue what was happening on the other side of the planet. Global to them means "regional" now. That really can't be debated in my mind.

Yeung Wing-Cheung, from the Noah's Ark Ministries International research team, said: "It's not 100 per cent that iis Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it."

In that 0.01% they managed to fit the total absence of any credible evidence and that the whole story being a fable to begin with.

Of course...the simple fact is that someone in the Middle East would have no clue what was happening on the other side of the planet. Global to them means "regional" now. That really can't be debated in my mind.

in my mind either. But you know that someone will have a problem with that.

And some dinosaurs.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD90xcg6UaA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD90xcg6UaA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Each time, the follow up story never seems to arrive. You know, the one where the dedicated researchers actually provide their evidence to the broader scientific community for investigation.

Yep, it's nearly as frustrating as finding the missing link outside of Jersey.:silly:

Get back to me when proof is certain.

No. I didn't say that at all. I said "stalls" don't prove anything. And I'm right.

I think it is nearly impossible to prove a boat was in fact, Noah's Ark. The only thing scientists and archeologists can do is rule things out, and the remaining gap needs to be filled in people's minds.

Well then Achheology doesn't "prove" anything. Ever.

If indeed it is a wooden structure on a mountain top, and it's not a building, you would be hard pressed to "prove" what it is. I can think of nothing I would like more than to hear your theories of what it could be, lol.

gbear:

I don't dispute that most civilzations lived near a water source. Not all of them were coastal though. Some migrated near rivers such as the Babylonian civilization. But what I find interesting is this same story has been found in civilizations all around the globe. And the similaraties of some are uncanny. In particular, the comparison of Noah and Utnapishtim.

River or ocean. Show me a city without a story of a flood. http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7495424&postcount=11

Again, even if we are from different cities, once you go back more than a few generations, I expect the time lines blurr to the point where it may seem as though it happened to your forfathers when it happened to mine.[/

But let's take a look at the striking similaraties of two stories in particular. Noah and Utnapishtim found in Gilgamesh's epic

Both stated the extent of the flood was global.

Noah's story states the reason for the flood is man's wickedness where the Gilgamesh story says it's due to man's sins.

There are many many stories where the natural disaters were the result of angry god(s). How is this different from any of the stories of famine or lightning strikes

The flood in the Noah story was intended for all mankind where Gilgamesh's was for one city and all mankind.

In Noah's story God sent the flood and in Gilgamesh's it was the assembly of gods

both heros (Noah and Utnapishtim) were considered rightous.

Most heroes only have their righteous qualities remembered. Many of these "heroes" survived where most perished. Thus there had to be some redeeming quality to their lives that made the god(s) preserve them. If we are going to picture the god(s) with men like features, should they not also think good of the same things we find good? Why else did we sacrifice virgins, goats, gold and other things thought great

Noah was told of the flood directly from God while Utnapishtim was warned in a dream.

Both were ordered to build a boat.

Heroes with inspiration? Would that be like build the torjan horse or don't eat anything in the Underworld?

Both heros complained and both were to gather two of all animals.

Save Livestock and enough to breed? I don't think Sachmo was the first to note "It takes two to tango, two to tango, two to do the dance of love. Oh Yeah!:)

Both released birds to find land.

I thought this was done by quite a few seafaring cultures, but I may be wrong.

And there are more, but these stand out to me. You don't find that the similarities are uncanny?

I do find them uncanny, but not in a supernatural way. In many ways they seem a blurry cultural memory which leaves us wondering what the truth really was. I still come back to the simplist explanation usually being correct arguement. That arguement leaves me to think it most likely natural occurances we now remember as a culture through religion. I have no proof. It just seems the most likely senario to my limited mind. Please don't take offense at any of the sarcasm in this post as it's not really meant to be too snarky.

gbear: My whole point was that this story exists elsewhere as you seem to agree.

Not sure why your trying to pick it apart. My whole contention was just what you stated. That floods have happened, and ancient man was trying to make sense of it, while trying to inspire good and decency in the populace.

Have a nice day

Anyway, regardless of a person's position on the Old Testament, or the Bible in general, I think it's impossible to definitively prove this story one way or the other.

I think you're wrong on this.. They found his Captain's hat still in the wheel house with Noah monigramed into the brim..

Archived