Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PigskinDoctors: 10 Great Undrafted NFL Players (Fletcher)

dsciambi

Good to see Fletcher getting some recognition alongside some very great players.

http://thepigskindoctors.com/2010/04/10-great-undrafted-nfl-players/

London Fletcher was not taken in the NFL draft primarily to his small stature. That and maybe no one had ever heard of John Carroll University. He signed with the Rams as a free agent in 1998 and since then has become the model for undersized linebackers everywhere.

After 12 seasons, Fletcher remains one of the hardest hitting linebackers in the league. He has tallied up 1,244 tackles, 30 sacks, and 15 interceptions. More impressive, he has never missed a game in his career.

Here's the rest of the list:

10. London Fletcher

9. Wes Welker

8. Jeff Saturday

7. Antonio Gates

6. Adam Vinatieri

5. Priest Holmes

4. James Harrison

3. John Randle

2. Warren Moon

1. Kurt Warner

This is a very recent list. Other than Moon, who is obvious because of how accomplished he is, all of these players started their careers in the 90s. And hell, other than Randle, none started out in the second half of the 90s. Were there no great undrafted players in the 80s or earlier??? (In addition to Jacoby)

Gotta disagree here. I don't think Kickers should make this list at all. The majority of kickers in the league probably went undrafted...

Which is a fair point. At the same time, the man has 4 rings and some of the clutchest kicks in super bowl history.

I hate me some Patriots but gotta give the man his due there.

Kinda surprised Brian Waters didn't make the cut...

...Why is Vinatieri on there? That's dumb.

Out of the top ten ranked kickers last year according to NFL.com, 7 went undrafted:

Garrett Hartley

Rob Bironas

David Akers

Ryan Longwell

Matt Prater

Lawrence Tynes

Robbie Gould

Whenever a kicker is drafted early (see Nugent, Janikowski), the team is usually mocked--rightfully so. Year in and year out, it's not surprising to see the best kickers of the class to go undrafted. Our own Graham Gano can testify to that.

Besides. Provided that the kicker isn't totally inept (Shaun Suisham), the stats he puts up are more often than not a reflection of his team's offensive play more so than his kicking abilities.

This is a very recent list. Other than Moon, who is obvious because of how accomplished he is, all of these players started their careers in the 90s. And hell, other than Randle, none started out in the second half of the 90s. Were there no great undrafted players in the 80s or earlier??? (In addition to Jacoby)

There were some, but realize the draft used to have more rounds than just the 7 today. Weren't there close to 18 or 20 at one point? There were definitely 12 in the early 90s still.

No Joe Jacoby?

:bsflag:

I know. No knock on Fletch but I'd put Jacoby on there before him or anyone. People forget how dominant Jake was. I still think he's more worthy of the HOF than Grimm, though both are worthy. Hopefully Jake will get his just do sooner rather than later

Dick "Night Train" Lane not being on there is the biggest crime of all.

Agreed. Lane is a strange case though. He wasn't coming out of college - he'd served four years in the army and didn't like his job in a factory so tried out for the Rams.

Not that he's in Lane's class, but Rod Smith is also strangely absent.

Archived