Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

me: Fox News banned on navy computers

NOLASKINSFAN

Not sleeping very well since Big Brother decided to take control of my life. I slept much better when this was the free country I fought for!

This country is free. Where did that come from? Facebook, twitter, and other sites are blocked here. Hell there is a forum that I frequent besides ES, and since they have a FB sign-in, guess what, can't even view it anymore. That's life. Also, I fought for this country too, and it's still free from when I left my post in '01.

Not sleeping very well since Big Brother decided to take control of my life. I slept much better when this was the free country I fought for!

That's exactly what George Orwell was talking about.

Big Brother taking control of your life = being unable to access one external news website from your work computer inside a military installation because the content of the external website triggered some software which is designed to protect the network from malicious content. :ols:

Use your god damned phone or a computer not on the network.

At least you're free to flame me because I have spent the last 41 years of my life protecting your right to do it! What a bunch of ungrateful morons!!! Now just do what Big Brother tells you is right and don't think for yourselves! After all the government always knows what's best for you.

Troll alert.

At least you're free to flame me because I have spent the last 41 years of my life protecting your right to do it! What a bunch of ungrateful morons!!! Now just do what Big Brother tells you is right and don't think for yourselves! After all the government always knows what's best for you.

:doh: No one's flaming you and I'd suggest you to chill out with the name came.

Great, you just admitted you was a troll :)

You have been outed Lt. Cole. :ols: Congrats on making the front page of Foxnews.com

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/16/navy-access-fox-news-web-site-blocked/

Members of the U.S. Navy were denied access Friday to Fox News' Web site, a Navy spokesman confirmed to FoxNews.com.

Lt. Justin Cole, a spokesman for the Navy, said that he wasn't able to access that site along with other news sites. But access to other news Web sites was not being blocked.

"There's got to be some type of issue with NMCI," Cole said, referring to the Navy Marine Corps Internet. Cole said he was checking with the IT department in control of NMCI.

When members tried to go to FoxNews.com, the following message appeared: "Access to this site has been denied in accordance with Navy policy to safeguard the security posture and/or to maintain the operational integrity of the NMCI."

Marines at the Pentagon do have access to FoxNews.com. But Navy members stationed in Europe have also been denied access, according to an anonymous source.

The server for the Navy and Marines branches off at the Marine Corps base in Quantico, Virginia.

Maj. Carl Redding, a Marine spokesman in the Pentagon, said he has access to FoxNews.com but added that it's not surprising to him that folks in the Navy are being blocked and getting an error message. Although the Marines work on a different network, Redding said they get similar error messages all the time when trying to log onto legitimate Web sites.

"It's the nature of the network," Redding told Fox News, adding that he believes the blocked access is not intentional.

[/Quote]

Dude, DoD contractors like me help make it possible for you guys to get stuff done.

God forbid we infringe on your lack of productivity. :ols:

First of all NMCI is a freaking joke! We bought printers with AF money that aren't even going onto the network but connected directly to our computers and it took 4 months to get them approved. They're the most anal retentive idiots EVER! We can't even use wireless clickers for our PP presentations. We have to have someone sit at the computer and click to the next slide. Freaking ridiculous.

Anyway, I'm on the NMCI network and Fox pulled up for me.

This country is free. Where did that come from? Facebook, twitter, and other sites are blocked here. Hell there is a forum that I frequent besides ES, and since they have a FB sign-in, guess what, can't even view it anymore. That's life. Also, I fought for this country too, and it's still free from when I left my post in '01.

But you can access FB from Navy computers. Actually, they encourage it. FB/ES/FB/ES all day long baby! Woo hoo! Your tax paying dollars at work!:silly:

Here is the deal. The Navy and all DoD services get their internet from the militaries NIPRNET. The NIPRNET has internet connectivity and they imporve that connectivity continously but even so they are barely keeping up with traffic. Something like 80% of all NIPRNet traffic is internet traffic. Michael Jackson dies and it saturates the freaking NIPRNet trunkline to the internet. NFL season kickoff occurs and again the NIPRNet becomes saturated with folks looking for their team scores.

Anyway, what occured here is some guy made a non policy decision to 'tinker' with the firewall. Deny access to some high trafficed sites. Navy folks aren't supposed to be going to Fox News or checking current events anyway using their internet connections. Problem is now it's like the Navy made a political policy decision, which they didn't. That's why the fox connections are back up and why the Navy is saying their policy hasn't changed.

Navy folks aren't supposed to be going to Fox News or checking current events anyway using their internet connections. Problem is now it's like the Navy made a political policy decision, which they didn't. That's why the fox connections are back up and why the Navy is saying their policy hasn't changed.

Excuse you, I am supposed to be checking Internet news sites. Although I respect the explanation given, I still find it interesting Foxnews was blocked.

Archived