Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

me: Fox News banned on navy computers

NOLASKINSFAN

Real mature.

They are a pretty fair and even news organization.

just because they're in the middle east doesn't mean they're biased towards everyone else.... they are like a mini BBC... except sometimes their content can be considered disturbing.

welcome to the real world. looks a little different from inside a bubble doesn't it?

Here is the deal. The Navy and all DoD services get their internet from the militaries NIPRNET. The NIPRNET has internet connectivity and they imporve that connectivity continously but even so they are barely keeping up with traffic. Something like 80% of all NIPRNet traffic is internet traffic. Michael Jackson dies and it saturates the freaking NIPRNet trunkline to the internet. NFL season kickoff occurs and again the NIPRNet becomes saturated with folks looking for their team scores.

Anyway, what occured here is some guy made a non policy decision to 'tinker' with the firewall. Deny access to some high trafficed sites. Navy folks aren't supposed to be going to Fox News or checking current events anyway using their internet connections. Problem is now it's like the Navy made a political policy decision, which they didn't. That's why the fox connections are back up and why the Navy is saying their policy hasn't changed.

Its more likely that the software they use for internet filtering, which sits at their firewall, picked up a false positive and put it into the block database. I run Websense at my company and it sometimes does this. Then we get a new definition update and it clears up. Most of the time its an ad or script that caused it.

What have we learned today? Well, the Army, Air Force, and most other of our armed forces have not banned FOX News, but the Navy may have. Well, I guess that makes sence, the Navy has always been more.... errrr... liberal than the other branches.

LOL.

You can say it... they're teh gheys.:ols::ols::ols::pfft:

Dude, NMCI is worse than China.

lol - I used to work at a site when NMCI first started taking over in 2004. Everyone hated us.

----

NMCI is a different beast, it is not like the other agencies. I have worked for quite a few and now I'm with the FDA and every gov. job I have been on has had different policies and infastructures. One would think the gov. would be on the same page.

Archived