Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Making memories with McNabb

themurf

mcnabb040510.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

It’s official, the Washington Redskins have reclaimed the title of “offseason champions.”

Sure, there was a while there when you thought the Chicago Bears or some other team might steal the crown, but when it’s all said and done, there’s only one team that consistently brings it in March and April.

Hail to the Redskins.

Folks around town were intrigued when the Redskins announced the signing of free agent running back Willie Parker late Friday. After all, adding him to a stable that already includes established backs like Clinton Portis and Larry Johnson was unexpected to say the least. Well, no one is talking running backs anymore. Not after the news that Donovan McNabb was traded to the Redskins for the 37th overall pick in the 2010 draft and a future 3rd or 4th rounder.

That means, for the moment, the Redskins have McNabb, as well as Jason Campbell and Rex Grossman at quarterback to go with the Portis/Johnson/Parker trio at running back. While this clearly signifies the dawn of a new day for the burgundy and gold, it also brings out the cynic in us. Are the Redskins officially playing fantasy football? Does this guarantee that the ‘Skins will easily win the 2004 NFC East title? Can any of these guys play left tackle? These are just a few of the questions we have.

At this point, we should expect an announcement that the Redskins have signed Plaxico Burress by Wednesday night at the latest, right? Flozell Adams by Friday?

Okay, sorry about that. Back to the trade that shocked our nation’s capital.

As a quick refresher, here’s the story on McNabb:

- He will be 34 years old in November.

- He’s a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback.

- He led the Eagles to five NFC championship games and one Super Bowl in 11 seasons with Philadelphia.

- He’s one of six quarterbacks all time to throw for 25,000 yards and rush for 3,000 yards.

- Statistically speaking, he’s one of the least intercepted quarterbacks of all time.

Because this trade completely came out of nowhere, Redskins fans are still trying to take it all in and determine how they feel about it. Well, let us say this up front – this is a good move for the Redskins. They made it clear that Campbell wasn’t the long-term solution when they brought in Sam Bradford, Jimmy Clausen and any other college quarterback looking for a mini-vacation. Well, if they’ve identified quarterback as a position of need and McNabb suddenly becomes available, then they’ve got to pick up the phone and see what the asking price is. McNabb might not be in the top five in the NFL, but he’s still a top-10 talent.

Over the last two seasons, McNabb has thrown for 7,469 yards with 45 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in 30 games. Conversely, Campbell threw for 6,863 yards with 33 touchdowns and 21 interceptions in 32 games. To recap, the Redskins just upgraded their most important position with a guy who threw for 600 yards and 12 touchdowns more than the incumbent. And he did it in two less games. We’re definitely Campbell fans, but there’s not much of an argument once you take a look at those numbers.

Click here for full article.

PS -- McNabb currently has the third-highest winning percentage among active quarterbacks (83-45-1, .647) behind only Peyton Manning (119-59-0, .669) and Tom Brady (88-25-0, .779). Meant to add that in there, but forgot.

Bottom line - this is a good move and an obvious upgrade for the burgundy and gold. There's still plenty of work to be done, but this makes the Redskins a better team than they were yesterday.

I have nothing against McNabb's ability to play and contribute at a fairly high level for a few more years. I just don't see where he fits in a "rebuild". Much like the Haynesworth signing, I don't question the ability of the player, I question the timing. Clearly, this front office thinks that they can win and become competitive fairly quick with what is currently available on the roster to maximize McNabb's value.

I have nothing against McNabb's ability to play and contribute at a fairly high level for a few more years. I just don't see where he fits in a "rebuild". Much like the Haynesworth signing, I don't question the ability of the player, I question the timing. Clearly, this front office thinks that they can win and become competitive fairly quick with what is currently available on the roster to maximize McNabb's value.

Not to mention this is a 'win now league'. This signing automatically insures Shanny 3 or 4 more wins the next few seasons as he rebuilds this team. If, big if, he can somehow rebuild this line and our 3rd year receivers can step up, we're certainly instant playoff contenders.

If McNabb doesn't get shipped somewhere else, then I am cautiously optimistic about him as the starter, bordering on shakingly excited. I mean, all rivalry b.s. aside, he is a leader, a winner, and a touchdown tosser. After the past years of mediocrity, every 'Skins fan should at least feel a little happy about having a proven commodity behind center. And winning a little won't hurt things, either.

Yes I am a believer in the redskins ability to win now after this move. McNabb was a winner for years before they started stockpiling talent around him he made amatuers look great. Our beloved skins have way better talent then the eagles had in his earlier years in philly and he will definently help are young recievers florish in Shanny's offense and become all around better NFL players period.:helmet:

This has Snyderatto written all over it.

No, I'm pretty sure it doesn't. In his opening press conference, BA said that they'd explore all options to improve the team, including trades. That's what they did. You obviously don't agree. But that's why you are a fan like me, and Alllen and Shanahan were given control for the first time since Snyder's owned the team. They've got a plan, and this is part of it. The line WILL be fixed man.

The proof is in the pudding.

Win, and it's a great move.

Lose, and it's no different from what Vinny might have done.

I certainly hope Shanahan has gotten his new "Elway", and back to back Super Bowls are in store for us.

For now, I'm inclined to think we've teamed up an overrated head coach, with an overrated QB, and reality will not catch up with expectation.

And, while everybody says it, concerning many things in life, but few actually ever mean it,

I hope I'm wrong about them both.

Make no mistake about it - there will be no rebuild. Not this year, at least. They're definitely in "win-now mode." No other way to look at it when nearly every new player you've acquired this offseason is 30 years or older.

My biggest issue is, even if you add Okung at left tackle, you're still in need of more help on the offensive line. Are we really supposed to be believe this offense can survive with Okung, Dockery, Rabach, Hicks/Williams and Heyer? They've gone a long way towards retolling this offense, but more work needs to be done.

Thanks for the info Brian. Appreciate the legwork and taking the time to post it here.

Are you hearing anything about this being part of a three way trade (more to come this week)? Or more trades before the draft?

Andy Reid admitted during his press conference last night that McNabb is now a Redskins because that was the team he wanted to be traded to. We know Oakland and Buffalo were also involved, but ultimately, they traded him here because McNabb thought it was the best situation for him.

To me, St. Louis is no different from Oakland or Buffalo. They're a long way away from being competitive. I would think McNabb had a conversation or two with Shanahan prior to this deal going down and that when the season begins, he'll be rocking the burgundy and gold.

This has Snyderatto written all over it.

Here's the one thing that stands out to me from the Mike Shanahan press conference. Daniel Snyder went out of his way to basically say, "We know there's a lot of work to be done and that it's going to take time to turn this team around, but we're confident in the abilities of Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan." It's not a direct quote, but you get the point.

Snyder was essentially saying, these guys know what they're doing. If they tell me it's going to take a while to get this franchise to where we all want it to be, then I'm on board with it. That's completely different from the "Snyderatto" mentality, as you put it.

My best guess is he told them, you guys do what you do best and if you need me, you know where to find me. What you've seen since is all courtesy of Allen and Shanahan.

I'm not sure how i feel about the McNabb trade right now. My sack is stuck on the top fence rail at the moment, but i know that i'm pissed about buying that #5 Colt Brennen Jersey last fall before he got hurt and went on the IR . Why do i keep blowing money on fricken Redskins jersey's :(

I wonder if this will signal more trades on the horizon. Obviously, Jason Campbell will be on the trading block. But it also makes me wonder if they'll look to aquire other players that have had a little buzz attached to them this offseason. Namely, Brandon Marshall.

I think if they can get a 3rd round pick for Campbell, I'll like the deal more.

But, but, but I thought Campbell was going to be the man!!!

Thanks for bringing nothing to the table.

I wonder if this will signal more trades on the horizon. Obviously, Jason Campbell will be on the trading block. But it also makes me wonder if they'll look to aquire other players that have had a little buzz attached to them this offseason. Namely, Brandon Marshall.

I think if they can get a 3rd round pick for Campbell, I'll like the deal more.

Hate to break it to you, but no one is going to give up a third rounder for a player the Redskins clearly plan on dumping. They lost any possible leverage on dealing Campbell once they acquired McNabb.

Well I think the fact that McNabb is a leader is unquestionable, something we've lacked on offense for quite some time now. What does this do to Clinton Portis's shenanigans as of late? Does he quit running his mouth and play? Does he still dress up like a clown? Can he continue to act like a 14 year old now that we have a more mature leader for him to hide behind? Or does he still complain and act like an idiot?

This off season should be pretty humbling for Portis, we bring in two older RBs to contend with him and a veteran QB who won't take any trash from him(hopefully). I mean if the man could deal with TO and get him traded what do you think he'll do to Portis?

Archived