Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Seattle Giving Away Draft Picks

tiger187126

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/15707/seahawks-betting-big-on-whitehurst

so they swapped second rounders (moving down 20 spots) and threw in a third next year for a third string QB who has never thrown an NFL pass. then they paid him 5 mil a year when their starter only makes 5.75 mil and has made the pro bowl a few times.

i wonder if they had a "cult of" thread on the chargers board. can you imagine if someone sold us the farm for brennan, because this isn't that far off.

especially when you consider everyone else who traded for a qb gave up nothing.

detroit gave up a 7th for a qb with a winning record and starting experience who is around the same age as this guy.

quinn was traded for future 6th and 7th conditional and peyton hillis.

dereck anderson (made the pro bowl) was a FA.

good for Carrol though. he's out to prove his losing ways in the nfl were behind him and he's off to a helluva start.

Yes. It's downright bizarre. I mean, the guy was behind Billy Volek.

I don't think we could get as much in return for Campbell as the Chargers did for Whitehurst.

i realistically can't think of an available qb that someone would want to give that up for.

Yes. It's downright bizarre. I mean, the guy was behind Billy Volek.
Well, Volek's considered one of the very best backup QBs in the NFL, so that doesn't really say too much.

Swapping the draft picks might be a bit much, but the salary they gave Whitehurst is really irrelevant.

QBs are expensive in this league. That's just the way it is.

Though unlikely, he may ultimately become the face of their franchise. They obviously see something in him.

But you can't reveal your cards and overpay for a 3rd stringer. That's too much for his current value. San Diego must have a great negotiator

I heard about these rumblings a few weeks ago. Supposedly, there were QB needy teams around the league who saw Whitehurst as a QB who needed to be groomed, and had been well groomed by Turner and Rivers. If this works out for Seattle, then they got him for a bargain.

Personally, I don't have too much of a problem with the deal. As others have said, QBs come in a high price (and it's only gotten higher, considering that the asking price for Kevin Kolb is 2 1st rounders) and if the new brass thinks it has something in Whitehurst, it's not too steep of a deal IMO.

is there something about whitehurst that we dont know? i mean holy hell, thats gotta be the most given up for a guy that has 0 experience ever.

we know he is a bum. i watched every pass he threw at clemson. set a bunch of records, but whatever. thats college. i was shocked when he went in the 3rd round. should have been a 5th at best. but then again, ive always hated whiteturd. he was a great college qb for us, but as a person, he sucked at life. the only good thing about him was that he has a gorgeous sister that played bball at clemson that i shot around with a couple times and my best friend hit on any time he saw her shooting around at the gym.

when youre highest quality is your sisters looks, you dont deserve that kinda contract.

heard a good explanation of a theory on this from sirius radio... if seattle has their eyes on a RFA with a 2nd round tender, this could be a move to attain them and basically get whitehurst for a 3rd round pick... meaning it doesn't matter where in the 2nd round they are for the RFA, so they swap out towards the bottom of the round which sweetens the deal for the chargers, then offer their targeted RFA a contract his current team won't match (and there are some dirty ways they can do this that I wasn't aware of)... so basically they get whitehurst for a 3rd and the RFA for a lower second...

heard a good explanation of a theory on this from sirius radio... if seattle has their eyes on a RFA with a 2nd round tender, this could be a move to attain them and basically get whitehurst for a 3rd round pick... meaning it doesn't matter where in the 2nd round they are for the RFA, so they swap out towards the bottom of the round which sweetens the deal for the chargers, then offer their targeted RFA a contract his current team won't match (and there are some dirty ways they can do this that I wasn't aware of)... so basically they get whitehurst for a 3rd and the RFA for a lower second...

That doesn't work because they have to use their ORIGINAL pick. They no longer have that so they cannot sign a 2nd round RFA.

That doesn't work because they have to use their ORIGINAL pick. They no longer have that so they cannot sign a 2nd round RFA.

I don't know if that's true. I haven't found anything that says that they need their original pick. Even if they can't, they can always arrange for a trade, like they did this time.

you sure about that? I've heard of teams tendering guys on their original round level, meaning the round they were drafted at, but never that a team has to use their original pick to choose a player in the same round, but at a lower level in the round...

I ask cause I heard this theory from pat kirwan on sirius and being a former GM and consultant for pete carrol when he was at USC, I'd be surprised if he was wrong about their intentions and didn't know the rules...

I thought that was only in the case of having 2 picks in the same round, as in the Seahawks couldn't trade Hasselback for a low 2nd, use that on an RFA, and keep their high 2nd rounder.

we know he is a bum. i watched every pass he threw at clemson. set a bunch of records, but whatever. thats college. i was shocked when he went in the 3rd round. should have been a 5th at best. but then again, ive always hated whiteturd. he was a great college qb for us, but as a person, he sucked at life. the only good thing about him was that he has a gorgeous sister that played bball at clemson that i shot around with a couple times and my best friend hit on any time he saw her shooting around at the gym.

when youre highest quality is your sisters looks, you dont deserve that kinda contract.

Ok, now I remember this guy...... I completely agree, I was completely underwhelmed watching him play. I dont Follow Clemson that much anymore but I did see a few games he was in. He showed me nothing that equated to "good NFL QB".

Wow, what a pretty dumb move to sign this guy giving up that much for him. Yikes!

hmm it may have been too much, but i know the cards were really looking at him too. So there must be something, or everybody could just be praying and wishing lol. I really do not think JC is even all that available around the league I have not heard much noise, and you would think that Seattle would offer us a third for him instead of a backup who never played before, (and even nay sayers of JC have to agree nfl experience for a qb is more important than tangibles) so i think the skins are not even shopping him like that

Wow, what a pretty dumb move to sign this guy giving up that much for him. Yikes!

It couldn't be that dumb if more than one NFL team was looking at Whitehurst.

Keep in mind that Whitehurst didn't exactly play for a power house in Clemson, and that he's been learning behind one of the best QBs in the NFL in Rivers, and learning under one of the best offensive minds in football in Turner. He gives the Seahawks a possible future at the position, and it worked for them before when they did it for Matt Hasselbeck.

I'm not saying it will work, because it could just as easily blow up in their faces. But if he becomes a solid starter, was it really that expensive (considering how vital it is to have a good QB in this league)? :whoknows:

Seattle traded GB their 1st round and 7th round for Hasslebeck, who was an unproven QB at his time. Maybe they are thinking this could work again.

This. Unexperienced QB's have drawn high ransoms in the past. These guys at least have more NFL experiene from a coaching perspective than rookies.

Hasselbeck had 0 NFL starts and 29 pass attempts . 2 TD's and a fumble.

Schaub had 2 NFL starts. 6 TD's, 6 INT's, and 3 fumbles. Not exactly overwhelming stats. He cost 2 seconds and swapped firsts.

AJ Feely only had 5 starts before getting a second from Miami for him.

Not saying it will work out for Seattle but there is something in Whitehurst that Carroll, Wishenhunt, and I believe Holmgren all liked. He's been sitting behind one of the best QB's in the game and learning from one of the best QB coaches. The acquisition might not be as successful as Hasselbeck's was but he should at least be a very good backup which is especially important for Seattle with how injury prone Hasselbeck has been. The only QB Seattle even had on the roster was sixth round pick Mike Teel. I've never even heard of this guy so I'm assuming Pete Caroll doesn't have a lot of faith in this guy stepping in when Hasselbeck inevitably gets hurt again behind that swiss cheese line. A third round pick isn't a bad deal for a strong backup QB, if that is what they got.

i thought it was crazy at first but now i get it. If they truly believe whitehurst is the QB of the future, then a 2011 3rd round pick and swapping 2nd rounders wasn't a bad deal at all, especially since Seattle has two first rounders this year. And for the Chargers, they go up 20 spots this years 2nd round and can add a solid starting caliber player this year and have an extra 3rd to play with next season.

As far as Kolb, i think that even one first rounder is too much. His flashes, in my opinion, are similar to Matt Shaub when he filled in for Mike Vick. Eagles should be reasonable and listen to deals... maybe one first rounder and 6th or two 2nd rounder.

Archived