Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politics Daily.com: Glenn Beck Urges Listeners to Leave Churches that Preach Social Justice

AsburySkinsFan

2. Beck could be referring to Liberation Theology, but I'm not sure. I get aggravated when I read anything he says, and really can't stand him.

Liberation Theology is predominantly found in Latin America among Roman Catholic churches.

This is probably the most accurate thing that does fit Beck's description and it is preached by many a Catholic priest in Central and South America, to the point in fact that they promote the forcible redistribution of wealth through armed force. One of the pastors I met in Guatemala was being led in this direction through a Catholic seminary and was even about to join the guerrilla fighters in this effort before God intervened in his life.

Now, had Beck said Liberation Theology then I would have agreed with him (with the exception of the Nazi thing that's just stupid), but he didn't instead he attacked social justice. Now he either did it out of ignorance or in full knowledge neither of which are out of the realm of possibility.

Heck yeah God demands...do you really want to take THAT argument?

Demands of who?..His people:)

And yet I still don't see Christians leaving the last two rows of their harvest ungathered. What's more is that as Christians in a representative democracy we have the right...nay the duty to impact the way our government spends our tax dollars (read two rows of harvest). Also if you think that there are enough soup kitchens around to employ the poor and to feed them at the same time then I might be tempted to agree with you...but as it stands right now there aren't.

Again we are talking His people,right?

The main question I have is does God expect us to hold those that are not His to the same standard?

Am I required to raise your children?

I would love to direct your life:evilg:,but do I have the right under God or our law??

Which is why I specifically cited a case where giving to the poor was mandated over and above the tithe.

Again His people:)

Oh come on now that dog simply won't hunt. We talk all the time in church that it is God who gives us the ability to work and to provide for our families, how is that any different than God giving a parcel of land to a Jewish tribe? Answer, it is not.

So those that are able to work and do not?

How about those that are terrible stewards of his blessings?

What did God demand of them?:)

Justice is a two edged sword that many wish to ignore the liability of

Parables, in this particular parable, I don't believe that the meaning is to provide indefinitely for every person who is in need and will not do for themselves. As I said earlier, the Bible seems to recommend a hand up, not a hand out. These particular verses reference the Jews and their treatment of Samaritans, who were dispised at the time.

This doesn't have a darn thing to do with Samaritans. In Matthew the closest use of Samaritan comes in chapter 10.

Who is saying indefinite provision?

As for hand up over hand out....

Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.

Would be good if you actually posted something specific to the term in question.

Not something you have to register to read.

Sorry, didn't realize that you had to register for it since I'm already registered.

2007 is a Sabbath Year. Every seventh year, according to biblical tradition, the people of God are invited to observe a “Year of Remission” (Shmita, in Hebrew). It is a year in which land and crops and domesticated animals rest, when creditors refrain from collecting debts, and when the Law of the Lord is read in the hearing of all (marking the completion of the Torah liturgical cycle).

These ancient biblical customs and covenants form the foundation for the Christian concept of social justice. In Christian tradition, particularly Catholic teaching, social justice and social charity form the horizontal axis, and individual justice and individual charity form the vertical axis. All four elements work in harmony for individuals and communities to live out the commandment: Love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

Justice is the moral code that guides a fair and equitable society. When an individual acts on behalf of justice, he or she stands up for what is right. Charity is a basic sense of generosity and goodwill toward others, especially the suffering. Individual charity is when one responds to the more immediate needs of others—volunteering in a women’s shelter, for example.

The goal of social charity and social justice is furthering the common good. Social charity addresses the effects of social sin, while social justice addresses the causes of such sins. Brazilian Catholic Archbishop Hélder Câmara famously said, “When I feed the poor, they call me a saint; when I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” His phrase indicates the societal pressure to separate charity and justice. The two can not be separated. It would be like taking the heart out of a body—neither would live for long.

Social charity is sometimes called compassionate solidarity. A church’s decision to buy only fair trade coffee might be considered an act of social charity. It is a communal economic act that addresses the immediate needs of those who are oppressed by an unjust economic system. However, it doesn’t fundamentally change or challenge the unjust structure.

The principle of social justice, according to Catholic social teaching, requires the individual Christian to act in an organized manner with others to hold social institutions accountable—whether government or private—to the common good. The “common good comprises the sum total of social conditions which allow people, either as groups or as individuals, to reach their fulfillment more fully and more easily,” according to Pope Paul VI. However, social justice can become hollow if it is not constantly in touch with real people’s experiences.

SOCIAL JUSTICE ISSUES are determined by “discerning the signs of the times” (Matthew 16:3), a careful process of social analysis. First, we listen to and observe the experiences of those closest to the problem. Second, together with those closest to the problem, we look at the context. What’s the history and what are the root causes? Are there political and/or cultural forces at play? We take the expanded information (experience plus context) and examine it in light of biblical values and Christian teaching. What would Jesus do in a situation like this? Third, we ask: What action might successfully make this situation more just? Finally, we take the action and evaluate the results. The evaluation takes us back to step one.

Social justice almost always has an economic, as well as a policy, component. Our lives are organized around basic goods and services that we exchange in order to grow as healthy human beings in families and communities. When we listen to the experiences of poor people in the U.S., for example, we learn that many are working full-time but can’t afford the basics of food, housing, and health care. The context includes spiraling costs of medical insurance and an inadequate federal minimum wage. We reflect on the experience and context in the light of Jesus’ healing ministry and Jesus’ parable of the worker getting a just wage. Campaigns for health care reform and a living wage have arisen from such analysis. Success is evaluated by how the lives of America’s working poor have improved. Have these actions helped to restore justice and reveal more clearly the reign of God?

The Sabbath Year is a good time to review (and renew) the social justice ethic of the church. Salvation Army leader Evangeline Booth’s comments on the women’s movement in 1930 are pertinent for social justice movements today. For what we call the movement, she says, “is not social merely, not political merely, not economic merely. It is the direct fulfillment of the gospel of the Redeemer.”

Rose Marie Berger, an associate editor of Sojourners, is a Catholic peace activist and poet.

This doesn't have a darn thing to do with Samaritans. In Matthew the closest use of Samaritan comes in chapter 10.

Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who begs from you, and do not refuse anyone who wants to borrow from you.

So...ummm....ASF, can I have 10K?

;)

In fact, it does. Jesus specifically rebuked the Jews for their treatment of a Samaritan.

Are you not in support of open immigration and support of this? Are you not trying to source scripture in an attempt to support this ideology?

Sorry, didn't realize that you had to register for it since I'm already registered.

I understand. What you have posted is interesting but it does not specifically reference the term "Social Justice" which I believe is the crux of the issue with regards to Beck.

Demands of who?..His people

And as His people in a representative democracy can we not also demand how our tax dollars will be spent...in fact is it not our responsibility to do so? Or are we supposed to just resign ourselves to a fatalistic view that we have no control and no say in the way our money is spent.

Some want their tax money spent on guns...fine. I want mine spent on social assistance for the poor.

Again we are talking His people,right?

The main question I have is does God expect us to hold those that are not His to the same standard?

Am I required to raise your children?

I would love to direct your life:evilg:,but do I have the right under God or our law??

When they live in the land are they not also required to obey the laws of that land? Again you are making the mistake that I'm supposed to just sit back and not lobby for how my tax dollars are spent on MY behalf. This has nothing to do with you raising my children, but it does have everything to do with the fact that I want to make sure that your children don't go hungry or go without medical care.

So those that are able to work and do not?

How about those that are terrible stewards of his blessings?

What did God demand of them?:)

Justice is a two edged sword that many wish to ignore the liability of

Ahh see now we're talking welfare reform, not the call for welfare, nice try but let us stay on topic. ;)

This is probably the most accurate thing that does fit Beck's description and it is preached by many a Catholic priest in Central and South America, to the point in fact that they promote the forcible redistribution of wealth through armed force. One of the pastors I met in Guatemala was being led in this direction through a Catholic seminary and was even about to join the guerrilla fighters in this effort before God intervened in his life.

Now, had Beck said Liberation Theology then I would have agreed with him (with the exception of the Nazi thing that's just stupid), but he didn't instead he attacked social justice. Now he either did it out of ignorance or in full knowledge neither of which are out of the realm of possibility.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if he intentionally misrepresented the issue or was too ignorant to know the difference.

I wouldn't attend a church or any organization that is pushing an agenda that involves the government forcing more redistribution of wealth.

Funny how there are now liberals that are so into the church and are now gasp Christian (where were you during the athiest rants?) and still continue to do things not Christ like like attacking / slurring Beck when he aired the clips showing how leftists were defining Social Justice.

And as His people in a representative democracy can we not also demand how our tax dollars will be spent...in fact is it not our responsibility to do so? Or are we supposed to just resign ourselves to a fatalistic view that we have no control and no say in the way our money is spent.

Some want their tax money spent on guns...fine. I want mine spent on social assistance for the poor.

So Becks rant is no different than your promotion of social justice?

He's got his ditto heads and you got yours?

You can't formulate an opinion on this topic when Beck is obviously hijacking the term social justice and manipulating it in such a way as to further his Communist=Nazi rant (which is simply nonsensical to begin with) and then using that rant to call people out of their churches?! My goodness, what exactly WOULD it take for you to develop an opinion on the matter? I think more likely the problem is that you don't WANT to express an opinion against Beck, but that's just my opinion.

actually I don't know enough about what beck talks about to say anything. I don't really listen to him if at all. Maybe the few times he's on with Oreily, but other than that I don't listen to him.

I wouldn't attend a church or any organization that is pushing an agenda that involves the government forcing more redistribution of wealth.

Funny how there are now liberals that are so into the church and are now gasp Christian (where were you during the athiest rants?) and still continue to do things not Christ like like attacking / slurring Beck when he aired the clips showing how leftists were defining Social Justice.

Where are you when wealth is being redistributed upward? Conservatives have heart attacks when you help a struggling single mom but when a CEO enjoys amazing personal gains via tax payer hand outs to his company suddenly you have nothing to say. Church should stay mostly out of politics, on that we agree but they should talk about greed a little more often... people tend to forget the bible focuses on greed more than gays. I doubt God did that on accident.

I understand. What you have posted is interesting but it does not specifically reference the term "Social Justice" which I believe is the crux of the issue with regards to Beck.

The title of the article is "What is Social Justice" do a quick register fake name and fake email to see.

Where are you when wealth is being redistributed upward? Conservatives have heart attacks when you help a struggling single mom but when a CEO enjoys amazing personal gains via tax payer hand outs to his company suddenly you have nothing to say. Church should stay mostly out of politics, on that we agree but they should talk about greed a little more often... people tend to forget the bible focuses on greed more than gays. I doubt God did that on accident.

Can you gve us an example of Conservatives having a heart attack over Govt helping a single mom?

Can you gve us an example of Conservatives having a heart attack over Govt helping a single mom?
Welfare. Food Stamps. Housing. Day Care.

All issues conservatives have hit the roof over and have dishonestly characterized as being overrun with corruption and allowing people to live lavish lifestyles on the government dime. Truth is the programs have a fraud rate (that is prosecuted) that isn't extremely high and none of them provide grandiose lifestyles. Most seem to disproportionately benefit single moms.

These things don't lime up well with social darwinism.... which I might add is surprising in that it hasn't come up in this thread yet. Social Justice? No. Social Darwinism for Christians?! Yes?!

The title of the article is "What is Social Justice" do a quick register fake name and fake email to see.

I am not comfortable, and likely never will be comfortable, with Scripture in Politics. While I understand why many want Scripture in Politics, I don't see it as ever being a good idea. Scripture will never get a fair shake in Government because it is diametrically opposed to much of what is passed by our Government. Conservatives, for many years, have wanted the Church to play a bigger role in Government and the Left has been steadfast in it's opposition to this. It is used only when it is politically expedient to do so.

Jesus was executed, according to scripture, because of political views. I see no good that can come of Politics using scripture to substantiate itself.

All issues conservatives have hit the roof over and have dishonestly characterized as being overrun with corruption and allowing people to live lavish lifestyles on the government dime. Truth is the programs have a fraud rate (that is prosecuted) that isn't extremely high and none of them provide grandiose lifestyles. Most seem to disproportionately benefit single moms.

These things don't lime up well with social darwinism.... which I might add is surprising in that it hasn't come up in this thread yet. Social Justice? No. Social Darwinism for Christians?! Yes?!

I don't believe that Welfare, Food Stamps or Housing can be equated to the Scripture. Thats very thin IMO.

Ah, so you didnt mean they were upset at Govt helping single moms, you meant the GOP is upset with systems that are overrun with waste and fraud. Sort of like Clinton and his welfare reform.

Ah, so you didnt mean they were upset at Govt helping single moms, you meant the GOP is upset with systems that are overrun with waste and fraud. Sort of like Clinton and his welfare reform.
I know an end-around when I see one. We both know entitlement programs and their elimination are at the heart of purist conservative ideology.

I know an end-around when I see one. We both know entitlement programs and their elimination are at the heart of purist conservative ideology.

Absoluely. No argument. It's your leap from that too "having a heart attack if we help a single mom" that is out in left field.

Ok, Glenn Beck...before I thought you were just a really annoying blathering buffoon, now you're touching on my turf and I have two words for you Beck...and the first one isn't fit for print.

I'm fairly confident in stating that Beck is going to go through at least three major political transformations in the next ten years.

He is behaving like I did as a teenager - economic conservative one week.....deeply religious the next......Marxist the next......the world's only white black nationalist after that.

Archived