Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: For Redskins, signing Clifton would satisfy biggest need

#98QBKiller

- He is OLD!! And then he breaks down in we are back in the same f'ing boat with our O-Line....

- Draft Okung, and have that stud anchor your line for the next 10 years and have NO worries about needing to fill a need AGAIN!

- Draft a QB next and groom him....

- Why draft a OT in 2nd, and HOPE he becomes a stud....

Because there are plenty of OL drafted late in drafts or not drafted at all that have become studs. Go look at the Giants or Colts' lines.

His first 3 seasons in the NFL he played 13, 14, and 10.

Since then: 16,16,16,15,16,15,12. So really rather good.

Beat me to the punch. This info from his wiki as well:

Clifton's 2002 season seemed as promising as his first two until November 24 when he suffered a severe pelvic injury after receiving a blind hit from the Tampa Bay Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp. Because the incident occurred after an interception with Clifton far from the play, Sapp received harsh criticism for his action. After the game, Sapp was involved in a profanity-laced argument with Packers coach Mike Sherman that was caught on camera. As a result of the injury, Clifton missed the rest of the season. He was hospitalized for almost a week and could not walk unaided for five more weeks. In 2005, the NFL Competition Committee agreed on new guidelines for "unnecessary roughness", making hits such as that suffered by Clifton illegal.[1]

Clifton returned in 2003 to start all 16 regular season games and two more in the playoffs. He played all 1,031 offensive snaps that season and contributed to establishing a team record for fewest sacks allowed in a season (19).

Doesn't sound like that big of an injury risk to me.

- He is OLD!! And then he breaks down in we are back in the same f'ing boat with our O-Line....

- Draft Okung, and have that stud anchor your line for the next 10 years and have NO worries about needing to fill a need AGAIN!

- Draft a QB next and groom him....

- Why draft a OT in 2nd, and HOPE he becomes a stud....

I'd much rather go QB in 1st and T in 2nd(that is if we do go QB/T in first two rounds). But if they aren't going QB please draft Okung in 1st. History shows QBs taken in 1st have far better chance of succeeding than QBs taken in 2nd. This is a weak enough QB class as it is and I do not want Colt McCoy or Dan Lefevour potentially being our QB of future. QB is more important than T so if we want a QB go for the best one in the draft!

"They can then focus on upgrading other positions and will also have the flexibility in the draft to go after the best player available rather than the best one that fills a need"

Does that sound like QB at 4?

Spot on J-bomb. This will allow us to get the most value out of that first round pick. See where the cards fall. If one of the D-tackles or Eric Berry slips. We have trade bait or we get a blue chipper.

We've still gotta draft Okung. We need stability on that O-Line!! I cant go another year of watching our running backs dodge defenders before they get to the line of scrimmage or our QBs running for their lives! Clifton is old and Pashos is injury prone. We'll be out of the frying pan and into the fire if we dont fix the line and not super glue it with aging veterans.

I think the Skins are looking at Clifton playing LT. He is looking for a payday of about the 7 to 8 million dollar range a year. So it may take a 3 year 22 million dollar contract to land him. JMO.:)

The more that I think about this signing the more I like it. As I said in another thread, signing Clifton allows us to go QB at 4 and wait until next year to draft an LT. This allows us to address both positions this year. It's win/win.

The more that I think about this signing the more I like it. As I said in another thread, signing Clifton allows us to go QB at 4 and wait until next year to draft an LT. This allows us to address both positions this year. It's win/win.

Our take an OT and a RG with our 1st and 2nd round picks. That would be ideal to me.

Well, ideal would be to trade back and pick up an extra pick or two in rounds 2 and 3 and draft an OT and RG.

You could be right but to me BPA isn't Bradford since the Rams will take him and or Clausen won't be ranked higher than Suh,Mckoy,Berry,McClain,Okung.........

"They can then focus on upgrading other positions and will also have the flexibility in the draft to go after the best player available rather than the best one that fills a need"

By suring up the OL with FA's our need would be QB and we won't have to reach at 4 and can take playmakers that can start for us now instead of later.

There's some pretty good info in here about Gary Zimmerman/Tony Jones and the stuff about Big Chris mentoring the OL in the offseason.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/for-redskins-signing-clifton-w.html

I view Chad Clifton as the Packers version of Jansen/Thomas/Samuels

Once top level players that are now aging and battling injury.

I don't think these guys have been re-signed by their teams yet

please update if you know different.

I would rather get:

Mike Gandy OT Zona-31

Khalif Barnes OT Raiders-28 (if his ankle clears medically)

Alex Barron OT Rams-27

Tyson Clabo OT ATL-29

Ryan Cook OT Vikings-26 -Benched last season but is young enough to improve and even at his current level of play would at least be good young depth and would likely start here

Charlie Johnson OT Colts-26

Marshall Yanda G Ravens 25- I thinks he's played some OT though

Jeremy Trueblood OT Saints-27

Tony Pashos OT 49ers-29?

If Cliff signs, I hope we put him in RG rather than LT. Pashos can fill in at LT until Okung is ready. Once Okung starts, move Pashos to RT and send Heyer to the bench.

Clifton is a Pass Blocker. You want to play him at LT. His run blocking game is not the best in the league, but I trust him with my QB's blind-side.

Once top level players that are now aging and battling injury...

Agreed, that's exactly what he is. He's still a good player, but he's not getting younger and the injuries will catch up with him. Just like the potential Pashos signing I'd want him as backup /depth rather than a starter.

Once top level players that are now aging and battling injury.

I don't think these guys have been re-signed by their teams yet

please update if you know different.

I would rather get:

Mike Gandy OT Zona-31

Khalif Barnes OT Raiders-28 (if his ankle clears medically)

Alex Barron OT Rams-27

Tyson Clabo OT ATL-29

Ryan Cook OT Vikings-26 -Benched last season but is young enough to improve and even at his current level of play would at least be good young depth and would likely start here

Charlie Johnson OT Colts-26

Marshall Yanda G Ravens 25- I thinks he's played some OT though

Jeremy Trueblood OT Saints-27

Tony Pashos OT 49ers-29?

I like that list of potential linemen, I'm hoping shanny and allen do to!

Archived