Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: For Redskins, signing Clifton would satisfy biggest need

#98QBKiller

There's some pretty good info in here about Gary Zimmerman/Tony Jones and the stuff about Big Chris mentoring the OL in the offseason.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/for-redskins-signing-clifton-w.html

For Redskins, signing Clifton would satisfy biggest need

It certainly wouldn't be quite like last year, when the Redskins opened the vault for Albert Haynesworth, but if the Redskins can lock up left tackle Chad Clifton today, it would satisfy their biggest need and make the rest of the offseason a lot easier.

I spoke Thursday before free agency began with ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth about Clifton. Schlereth played on Washington's line but also played under Mike Shanahan in Denver, so he's plenty familiar with what the Redskins need in this area.

"I think Clifton would solidify that position for them, so they could go out and try to draft a quarterback if that's the direction they want to go to," he said.

When we talked about the team's needs, Schlereth said "you've got to fix the offensive line." Of course, it was a conversation one might have about the Redskins every offseason, but with Chris Samuels retiring, the team really had no choice this year. So it's no surprise that Clifton could be their first free agent signing.

"That's your No.1 priority. Mike Shanahan knows this better than anybody," Schlereth said. "You've got to have a legit left tackle. You only have to go back to the Denver Broncos during their hey day."

Schlereth pointed out that when Gary Zimmerman retired in 1997, Shanahan didn't gamble on a draft pick; he signed Tony Jones as a free agent from Baltimore who helped the Broncos reach the Super Bowl. (Of course, Shanahan has also drafted tackles. In Denver, he took George Foster with the 20th overall pick in the 2003 draft. Foster was traded three years later and hasn't played a down in the NFL since 2008.)

But signing Clifton will mean the Redskins can scratch the left tackle spot off their to-do list. They can then focus on upgrading other positions and will also have the flexibility in the draft to go after the best player available rather than the best one that fills a need.

We'll keep you posted on Clifton's status today. Because he shares an agent with Chris Samuels - and because Samuels is expected to work with the offensive linemen during the offseason and in training camp - you've got to figure the Redskins have a pretty good salesman helping Clifton make up his mind.

No, it's not the big splash signing that will shake-up the NFL, but getting Clifton will make other moves and decisions a lot easier for the Redskins.

"You've got to have a legit left tackle, if you're going to be successful in this league," Schlereth said. "It's paramount. To me, it's quarterback, then left tackle - two most important players on offense. Even though every wide receiver in the league might disagree with me."

My only concern is that the dude is 33 years old. How old was Samuels?

Apparently this guy won't last a full year, someone posted that he's only played like 4 full seasons out of 10, something along those lines. I figure he's the best LT available in free agency, but I just don't think it is enough. And I don't see that as a reason to ignore OT in the draft.

QB in the first, Tackle in the 2nd would work just fine for me though. We start our rookie at RT and hope he can transition to LT in his soph year, then I guess we draft another tackle in next year's first round, add in a new center and a new guard or two and bam, new OL.

Apparently this guy won't last a full year, someone posted that he's only played like 4 full seasons out of 10, something along those lines. I figure he's the best LT available in free agency, but I just don't think it is enough. And I don't see that as a reason to ignore OT in the draft.

QB in the first, Tackle in the 2nd would work just fine for me though. We start our rookie at RT and hope he can transition to LT in his soph year, then I guess we draft another tackle in next year's first round, add in a new center and a new guard or two and bam, new OL.

LT in the 1st

Guard in the 2nd

Does that sound like QB at 4?

Not necessarily. They could decide to draft an OL if that makes the most sense. In the near term, you could stick him at RT until you are ready to move him up. Really, when you enter the draft you really want to come in with as few needs as possible so that you are free to pick the best players for your team.

I agree with the article that the team needs to find a veteran tackle to take that spot. The question is, how long are they willing to commit to a 33 year old tackle and how long of a contract does he want?

His first 3 seasons in the NFL he played 13, 14, and 10.

Since then: 16,16,16,15,16,15,12. So really rather good.

Bradford/Clausen are no where near the BPA

thats what I was thinking more like a berry,mcClain,Okung. Do the lions still take a DT after trading with the browns for a Dt? So Mckoy or Suh could be there at 4 for us to take.

Bradford/Clausen are no where near the BPA

I agree, although I do want us to take Bradford. There are too many questions at QB in the long term. Even if JC does perform well this year, he's not a lock to be here in 2 years. He hasn't had the most enjoyable experience in DC and might want out. Then we're left with Colt Brennan.

I think the "reach" for Bradford at #4 is worth it.

Just cause were bringing him in doesnt mean BA/Shanny see him as a permanent solution...it doesnt mean theyre going to ignore OL in the draft....chill people the sky isnt falling...when is the last time we've seen OL addressed the first day of free agency anyway?! this should be a reassurance that BA/Shanny are in charge and not little Dan..

Apparently this guy won't last a full year, someone posted that he's only played like 4 full seasons out of 10, something along those lines.

according to nfl.com, hes missed 2 games since the beginning of the 03 season, plus 4 last year.

hes the dude warren sapp blindsided and almost knocked out of the NFL.

Just cause were bringing him in doesnt mean BA/Shanny see him as a permanent solution...it doesnt mean theyre going to ignore OL in the draft....chill people the sky isnt falling...when is the last time we've seen OL addressed the first day of free agency anyway?! this should be a reassurance that BA/Shanny are in charge and not little Dan..

We finally have a FO that sees the importance of OL and is bringing in a lot of quality guys... And people are complaining.

- He is OLD!! And then he breaks down in we are back in the same f'ing boat with our O-Line....

- Draft Okung, and have that stud anchor your line for the next 10 years and have NO worries about needing to fill a need AGAIN!

- Draft a QB next and groom him....

- Why draft a OT in 2nd, and HOPE he becomes a stud....

Archived