Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: For Redskins, signing Clifton would satisfy biggest need

#98QBKiller

I believe it was an ankle injury. We tried to rush him back into the lineup a little too soon because of our line problems, so he re-injured it when we brought him back after two games.

I think I remember hearing that, he reinjured it after being rushed back.

If we can get one more year out of him I would be happy, give us a chance to draft someone if needed. He would then at LEAST be a great backup for the last couple of years.

BTW, Packer fans are spoiled. How many teams get a QB like Favre for all that time, and than get someone who I think could be better for the next 15 years.... :mad:

I would rather get:

Mike Gandy OT Zona-31

Khalif Barnes OT Raiders-28 (if his ankle clears medically)

Alex Barron OT Rams-27

Tyson Clabo OT ATL-29

Ryan Cook OT Vikings-26 -Benched last season but is young enough to improve and even at his current level of play would at least be good young depth and would likely start here

Charlie Johnson OT Colts-26

Marshall Yanda G Ravens 25- I thinks he's played some OT though

Jeremy Trueblood OT Saints-27

Tony Pashos OT 49ers-29?

The only players on that list that could be potentially better signings would cost us a draft pick as restricted FAs. I'd personally rather not dip into restricted free agents when this draft is deep, and we have limited picks as it is. Sign Clifton, draft a couple lineman to shuffle in with the vets that are signed.

I'm not so sure this changes our strategy going into the draft. Clifton has 1-2 years tread left on the tires at best.

It's always been extremely difficult to find a good young left tackle in free agency (can't think of any off the top off my head, except for Wille Roaf who was probably 30 when he joined the Chiefs)....

...But with the future of football "uncapped" - it looks like it will become impossible. They simply won't get away - ever. Which means you will have to draft one. Which means you'll need a top 10 pick. And I'm sure Shanahan is thinking that he won't ever be picking this high again so the time is now to lock that position down for the next decade. Don't send those Bulaga/Okung Redskins jerseys to Africa just yet.

I view Chad Clifton as the Packers version of Jansen/Thomas/Samuels

Once top level players that are now aging and battling injury.

I don't think these guys have been re-signed by their teams yet

please update if you know different.

I would rather get:

Mike Gandy OT Zona-31

Khalif Barnes OT Raiders-28 (if his ankle clears medically)

Alex Barron OT Rams-27

Tyson Clabo OT ATL-29

Ryan Cook OT Vikings-26 -Benched last season but is young enough to improve and even at his current level of play would at least be good young depth and would likely start here

Charlie Johnson OT Colts-26

Marshall Yanda G Ravens 25- I thinks he's played some OT though

Jeremy Trueblood OT Saints-27

Tony Pashos OT 49ers-29?

According to PPF, Clifton was the 46th rated tackle last year. Out of the 77 rated.

Gandy-68

Barron-70

Johnson-66

Trueblood-75*

Heyer was 71 and Jones was 75*. These guys dont help us at all.

Clab-29 and Yanda-12 (but apparetly not enough games to rank, but that is where he would have been if he did) would be serious upgrades. Both appear to be RT's however, so maybe only go after 1 if they are even availiable.

*Tied for next to last.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I'm not so sure this changes our strategy going into the draft. Clifton has 1-2 years tread left on the tires at best.

I don't think it will change the strategy either. I just wonder if the strategy has always been to load up on these older lineman so they could target a QB in the first round. You can always take a LT in the 2nd round in this draft to back up and eventually take over for Clifton.

The only players on that list that could be potentially better signings would cost us a draft pick as restricted FAs. I'd personally rather not dip into restricted free agents when this draft is deep, and we have limited picks as it is. Sign Clifton, draft a couple lineman to shuffle in with the vets that are signed.

Huh? Which players are restricted FAs?

Or are you just spit balling?

Because i got most of those names from this list:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/messages/chrono/19262783

i narrowed down my list from this list because some have since been signed and some are guards or are too old (imo)

Jahri Evans, New Orleans Saints (27)

Logan Mankins, New England Patriots (28)

Marcus McNeil, San Diego Chargers (26)

Willie Colon, Pittsburgh Steelers (27)

Jared Gaither, Baltimore Ravens (24) - Restricted FA

Donald Penn, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (27)

Jermon Bushrod, New Orleans Saints (26) - Restricted FA

Daryn Colledge, Green Bay Packers (28)

Kevin Mawae, Tennessee Titans (39)

Chad Clifton, Green Bay Packers (34)

Eugene Amano, Tennessee Titans (28)

David Baas, San Francisco 49ers (28)

Khalif Barnes, Oakland Raiders (28)

Alex Barron, St. Louis Rams (27)

Mike Brisiel, Houston Texans (27)

Jeromey Clary, San Diego Chargers (26) – Restricted FA

Nick Cole, Philadelphia Eagles (26)

Ryan Cook, Minnesota Vikings (27)

Tyson Clabo, Atlanta Falcons (29)

Harvey Dahl, Atlanta Falcons (29)

Mike Gandy, Arizona Cardinals (31)

Cornell Green, Oakland Raiders (34)

Rex Hadnot, Cleveland Browns (28)

Ben Hamilton, Denver Broncos (33)

Justin Hartwig, Pittsburgh Steelers (31)

Stephon Heyer, Washington Redskins (26) – Restricted FA

Richie Incognito, St. Louis Rams (27)

Jon Jansen, Washington Redskins (34)

Charlie Johnson, Indianapolis Colts (26)

Nick Kaczur, New England Patriots (31)

Chris Kuper, Denver Broncos (27)

Deuce Lutui, Arizona Cardinals (27)

Stephen Neal, New England Patriots (33)

Rudy Niswanger, Kansas City Chiefs (27)

Chester Pitts, Houston Texans (31)

Manuel Ramirez, Detroit Lions (27) – Restricted FA

Rob Sims, Seattle Seahawks (26)

Chris Spencer, Seattle Seahawks (28)

Jason Spitz, Green Bay Packers (27)

Adam Terry, Baltimore Ravens (28)

Jeremy Trueblood, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (27)

Bobbie Williams, Cincinnati Bengals (33)

Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens (25)

According to PPF, Clifton was the 46th rated tackle last year. Out of the 77 rated.

Gandy-68

Barron-70

Johnson-66

Trueblood-75*

i was going to post the same thing.

Huh? Which players are restricted FAs?

Or are you just spit balling?

Spit balling?

Alex Barron for example is a restricted free agent. I believe the player you highlighted from the Colts is also restricted. Those are the only two players on that list that I think would be potentially better options than Clifton. And they would require draft pick compensation to sign.

Also, check the date of the list you're pulling from dude.

December 31, 2009 1:36 pm

That's before any RFA's were tendered. And well before the league was officially working under no Salary Cap. Which means players in the league 5 years or less aren't eligible to be unrestricted free agents.

His first 3 seasons in the NFL he played 13, 14, and 10.

Since then: 16,16,16,15,16,15,12. So really rather good.

I just saw that, and that's not bad IMO. I don't think that he's missed an inordinate amount of time for an offensive lineman. He seems to have missed an average amount of time more than anything.

Spit balling?

Alex Barron for example is a restricted free agent. I believe the player you highlighted from the Colts is also restricted. Those are the only two players on that list that I think would be potentially better options than Clifton. And they would require draft pick compensation to sign.

i think barron was brought up in a thread a week or so ago. just going from other ratings, like pff, i think he was ranked very very low.

ya- just checked. last year, he was ranked one spot above heyer- 70th rated tackle in the league. not good.

Beat me to the punch. This info from his wiki as well:

Doesn't sound like that big of an injury risk to me.

I remember watching that game. Total dick move on Sapp's part. I remember when he used to skip through opposing teams warmups talking trash, he did that against us one day and Lavar got in his face for it.

Think Andy Heck the year before we drafted Chris. A nice stopgap until we make the move for a franchise tackle.

That really pissed me off cause Heck was going to rent my dads house, and we were going to keep the guest house and share the pool. I was hoping to meet lots of skins players.

Gandy-68

Barron-70

Johnson-66

Trueblood-75*

Clab-29 and Yanda-12 (but apparetly not enough games to rank, but that is where he would have been if he did) would be serious upgrades. Both appear to be RT's however, so maybe only go after 1 if they are even availiable.

*Tied for next to last.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I agree Clifton is an upgrade but the age factor makes me question how long he would last he only played 12 games last year and i don't think he's on the uptick if you know what i mean. (i.e.Samuels/Thomas/Jansen)

Those other guys are young and could improve, most started 16 games and all ranked higher then our guys.

Trueblood according to the stats was horrible last year but still better then what we had.

And last year could very be an abberation because the year before he was much better 12th.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2008&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

The Cook with the Viking was better in 2008 16 starts 55th.

Pashos was injured this year but ranked 25th in 2008 ahead of Clifton 42nd; and has ties to the new OL coach snd the good news...........he's in town.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=7343868&postcount=1

This is the kind of 'splash' i want to see though.

At least go after some OL bring them in check them out.

Spit balling?

Also, check the date of the list you're pulling from dude.

December 31, 2009 1:36 pm

That's before any RFA's were tendered. And well before the league was officially working under no Salary Cap. Which means players in the league 5 years or less aren't eligible to be unrestricted free agents.

In my OP i asked for updates, that's why i was asking you if you were spit balling, could you post an updated list/if you have one?

And do you know what Johnson tender was?

In my OP i asked for updates, that's why i was asking you if you were spit balling, could you post an updated list/if you have one?

And do you know what Johnson tender was?

Here's a restricted free agent list segmented by team: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/31/the-212-players-who-wont-be-unrestricted-free-agents/

Quick google search reveals Johnson received a 2nd round tender.

http://www.rtsports.com/football-news/1000054431

I think I remember hearing that, he reinjured it after being rushed back.

If we can get one more year out of him I would be happy, give us a chance to draft someone if needed. He would then at LEAST be a great backup for the last couple of years.

BTW, Packer fans are spoiled. How many teams get a QB like Favre for all that time, and than get someone who I think could be better for the next 15 years.... :mad:

Don't forget we had Favre, Brunell, and Warner all on our team at the same time :)

Archived