Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Nats Thread

Jofizz

Predicted to be last in NL East and why would anyone expect anything different? Have there been improvements? Yes. But other than the Mets and the Nats, everyone else in the NL East is pretty good. The Marlins are a good young team, the Phillies kick butt like they have for the past 2 years, and the Braves are a good young team with Hanson and Heyward or whatever his name is.

My main question is when Strasburg actually pitches for Nats. Will he actually pitch for them this season? Lol

I've never been much of a baseball fan but I'm committing myself to the Nats this year and I'm going to try and enjoy baseball so maybe I have something to help get me through the offseason.

Anything I need to know as a new fan?

The last few years have been painful, but after an offseason full of upgrades, specifically pitching, we should be in for a better year.

We own the number one pick in the draft for the second straight year, and if you haven't heard of Bryce Harper, look him up. He is considered to be the Strasburg of positional players. Might see him in a curly W sometime in the future.

If you haven't been out to Nats park before, its a great experience, even for non-baseball fans. Its still brand-new, and worth the trip.

Other than all that, you will pick up a lot more if you watch them on a weekly basis.

I've never been much of a baseball fan but I'm committing myself to the Nats this year and I'm going to try and enjoy baseball so maybe I have something to help get me through the offseason.

Anything I need to know as a new fan?

For a Nats fan, winning can't be everything. Go to some games and enjoy yourself. One of the benefits of having a crappy team is that there are always cheap tickets available.

Nats are definitely going in the right direction (thank GOD!), but they are still a ways away. Can't wait to see Strasburg up my mid-season. All reports are that he's legit and then some.

I was rooting for Detwiler to get a spot in the rotation out of opening day, so I'm pissed that he is out for a couple months. I don't have much faith in the other young pitchers, Mock, Martin, and Stammen. So, it could be a rough opening with out Detwiler, Strasburg, and Wang, but everyone needs to stay in there.

On Bryce Harper... I really don't know that we're that interested in him. Not really living up to the hype so far. If you have ever seen his swing, it seems like a mess. I'm not doubting a lot of his physical talent, and he's way ahead of the curve, but he's not "this year's Strasburg." He's a gifted player who like a lot of other gifted players has huge upside and huge risk.

For a Nats fan, winning can't be everything. Go to some games and enjoy yourself. One of the benefits of having a crappy team is that there are always cheap tickets available.

You know, all the negativity is perfectly justifiable given last season, but at least for the first couple of months, there's always the hope of the crazy Tampa Bay/2005(?) Nats run. I'm not as well-versed in baseball as I am in football, but it seems to me that this year's team has more pure talent than the team that was actually leading the NL East for a good chunk of that season. We also have a lot of players that are inexperienced as hell, but I don't think I'd ever go into a season thinking, "There's an absolutely 0% chance of a crazy turnaround that people will be referencing years from now on message boards."

The last few years have been painful, but after an offseason full of upgrades, specifically pitching, we should be in for a better year.

We own the number one pick in the draft for the second straight year, and if you haven't heard of Bryce Harper, look him up. He is considered to be the Strasburg of positional players. Might see him in a curly W sometime in the future.

If you haven't been out to Nats park before, its a great experience, even for non-baseball fans. Its still brand-new, and worth the trip.

Other than all that, you will pick up a lot more if you watch them on a weekly basis.

Yeah, I tried back in 2007 to take up baseball. I went to a few Nats games at RFK but nothing materialized. I still haven't been to the new park. I have not excuse to not go, the tix are cheap I can metro there and I know enough fans of other NL East teams to have company to go. I remember when we took Strasburg (last summer?) and that kind of sparked my first interest. I'll check out Bryce Harper too and start paying some attention around here.

Braves fan here but #98QBKILLER you should really catch a game at Nationals Park I have gone to watch 3 Nats vs Braves games there since it opened. I always had a great time and never had a problem taking the metro there. The ballpark is really nice and my favorite thing was that they served Blue Moon and Leinenkugel on tap instead of your regular budweiser bottles.

I went to the inaugural opening night game when the stadium opened. That was the game that Bush threw out the first pitch and you guys came back in the 9th inning with the walkoff homerun by Zimmerman off of Peter Moylan. :doh:

Go O's

Go O's

Go O's

C'mon. No need to harass their thread. You can talk about the O's in their section, or if a 2010 Season Thread pops up in the tailgate for the O's.

I think the Nats could improve a solid 10 games this season. They will have guys in the rotation with value and there's the Stasburg intrigue down the line (maybe) this year.

The Nats in '10 are probably closer to their second half performance from last year than first.

The plan is for him to start in Potomac, work his way to Harrisburg, and debut in the bigs sometime in June.

He's slated to start in Potomac huh? I'll definitley take the wife and son to watch this kid pitch. The stadium is literally 10 minutes from my house.

He's slated to start in Potomac huh? I'll definitley take the wife and son to watch this kid pitch. The stadium is literally 10 minutes from my house.

Seriously? I'd go see every one of his starts and I'm not even really a Nats fan. I feel like the Nats should just give him tommy john surgery now. They all end up needing it eventually don't they?

If the Nats can get even decent starting pitching, there is no reason they can't top the .500 mark. Last year, they were a top 10 offensive team, with bottom 5 pitching. We appear to have remedied the back end of the bullpen, so if we can get 3 outta 5 quality starts from our SP, we could have a winning season (and still finish 15 games out :ols:)

Archived