Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's your gut feeling on the upcoming draft?

HRNY4ZRNY

If the Rams take Bradford and Berry is there, my gut says we contact the Niners about trading down. I think they'd like an elite safety.

If Bradford is available, my gut says we take him in the 1st and the best OL in the 2nd.

And what the hell is with everyone wanting Spiller? I'm not knocking the guy's talent and he'd be awesome to have, but without a 3rd round pick, we just don't have the luxury of taking him, even IF we ar able to trade and pick up two firsts an extra 3rd. We have OL, QB, LB and FS to fill before RB.

If Berry falls to 4 then I hope we send out via radio broadcast that the #4 spot is available. Trade down and pick-up more picks. realistically we need 3 staring O-linemen from this draft and more for back-up.

You said it all. Only Snyder would use the fourth pick on a QB.

I think it is obvious we'll go Bradford in the first if he is available, and then the best LT available in the second since it will still be first round talent. That is basically us getting a first round QB and a first round LT.

No first round talent QB's will be there in the second this year. The general conensus is that there is a pretty massive dropoff going from Bradford/Clausen. I'm not saying it is true or not, I don't know, but that is what I've been reading.

Then we need to look at a guard or center at some point in the draft. The fourth round might be good here since guards and centers don't start going off the board until late first best. After that it is probably best player we can get, with a pretty big lean towards RB. Even if Portis returns, he needs help. Shanahan loves late round RB's, it is in his history.

Final round maybe a secondary player or linebacker, whatever is best available of the two.

I think that our head coach and general manager are very astute football guys. When looking at our team and the draft, there are a few very obvious observations that can be made.

Skins:

- Offense needs to be dramatically overhauled

- Pass-catchers are the only offensive unit that can stand pat

- Defense has the talent to be elite

- Veteran leadership has passed their primes

Draft:

- 2009 class is very deep, particularly on defense

- Offensive positions have on or two elite players at most positions

- There is a large gap between the top tier offensive players and the tiers below

- Offensive line has more high quality prospects at the top of the draft, but not much separate those top prospects

I don't think that many people can argue with those statements. The top priority has to be revamping the offense. Based on team needs and available prospects, I believe the Redskins will go QB in the 1st and take the best OL on the board in the 2nd.

Jason Campbell is simply not in the long term plans of this franchise. Our team does not have many opportunities to grab the top signal caller in the draft and this class has two highly decorated prospects. People may argue as too whether or the prospects are the next Peyton Manning, but the players are at least comparable to the top tackles, RBs, and WR.

As for the tackle class, there's much debate about how the prospects stack up. Okung is considered the safest, but lowest ceiling. Anthony Davis might be the best and have the highest ceiling, but may be the biggest bust. Bulaga may have the highest ceiling, but is not considered the top prospect and will need some time to refine his technique. Trent Williams is a RT. But the good thing is that there are 8 offensive linemen in the 1st round discussion (Okung, Davis, Bulaga, Williams, Campbell, Brown, Iupati, Pouncey). All 8 will not go in the 1st and someone will be available in at pick #37.

We can get a QB and dominant OL if we take a QB in the 1st. We will not get a great QB at #37. And we also may not get two dominant linemen if we take a tackle at #4. That actually might just trigger a run on offensive linemen. The situation is simple for our top picks.

The real dilemma is what to do about our later picks and how to acquire more picks to take advantage of this deep draft. I have my opinions about who we should trade, but it is very obvious that we must trade some vets to acquire more picks in rounds 3-7. We can use those picks to look for gems at RB, OL, DL, LB, and DB.

I completely agree with that. And I think we would look at trading London Fletcher for a 3rd and maybe something else like a 7th? Fletcher is a beast but we lucked out by gettiing him to play at such a high level yet another year. He's bound to break down, and this franchise needs to start aiming for the future. He won't be helping us win anything in 3 or 4 years, so you see what you can get in the 3rd.

My gut says I'll start laughing if the Rams take Bradford #1 overall.

I must admit, I'd probalby log on here if that happens, just to see the meltdown. Actually I'd be even more interested to see the reaction if he is there @ 4, and we trade out of it. I can see several posters on a suicide watch.

My gut feeling is there is almost zero chance of us not taking one of the two QBs who will be there when the #4 pick is on the clock. I also think there's no way the Rams don't take QB with their pick (barring some unforeseen trade). There is not much historical data that supports a DT going first overall.

I know what I DONT want at #4 and thats a QB. We need LINE help across the board and it doesn't matter if you have a Pro Bowl QB, RB, and WR on the field at the same time. If no one can BLOCK, they cant do anything.

I would LOVE to see us trade out of the 4th spot (if there are any takers) and pick up an extra 2nd, maybe get a Spiller, Gerhart or one of the OL in the middle of the first, and then keep racking up picks by trading back here and there.

Spiller would be outstanding in the return game though!

Well if Clausen is as good as reported you don't think Weis would want him?

I was talking about the Cassel part. He is another guy who played behind a piss poor OL, got sacked about the same number of times but put up much worse numbers than Campbell did. 55% comp rate, 16 TD, 16 INT, 5.9 YPA, under 3,000 yards and a QB rating under 70. And yet you want to not only trade the guy who played better for him but you also want to throw in a 4th rounder for a 5th. I mean I get it. You really don't like Campbell. But come on. At some point the "anybody but Campbell" train is going to have to hit the brick wall of logic.

I think we'll trade down and get a couple OLmen with our first 2 picks, and then look for a RB with the next. Then BPA after that.

I'd like to trade back and get Bulaga, maybe get another 2nd and get Brown, and Pouncey then pick up a Blount or Matthews in the fourth. Maybe sign Pashos and resign Levi so our line looks like this

LT: Bulaga/Jones

LG: Dockery/Williams

C: Pouncey/Lichtensteiger

RG: Rhinehart (healthy)/Mike Williams

RT: Brown/Pashos

yeah its three rookies on the O-Line but at least they were drafted, not UDFA from maryland like a certain horrible Tackle who will not be named but his initials are S and H

I was talking about the Cassel part. He is another guy who played behind a piss poor OL, got sacked about the same number of times but put up much worse numbers than Campbell did. 55% comp rate, 16 TD, 16 INT, 5.9 YPA, under 3,000 yards and a QB rating under 70. And yet you want to not only trade the guy who played better for him but you also want to throw in a 4th rounder for a 5th. I mean I get it. You really don't like Campbell. But come on. At some point the "anybody but Campbell" train is going to have to hit the brick wall of logic.

So if Cassel sucks as much as you say then it could work out! :point2sky

I'd like to trade back and get Bulaga, maybe get another 2nd and get Brown, and Pouncey then pick up a Blount or Matthews in the fourth. Maybe sign Pashos and resign Levi so our line looks like this

LT: Bulaga/Jones

LG: Dockery/Williams

C: Pouncey/Lichtensteiger

RG: Rhinehart (healthy)/Mike Williams

RT: Brown/Pashos

yeah its three rookies on the O-Line but at least they were drafted, not UDFA from maryland like a certain horrible Tackle who will not be named but his initials are S and H

I really think Bulaga is going to be a major steal in this draft if he goes in the teens. The guy has excellent technique, very good footwork, and is a high quality run blocker. I've watched him play and another thing that stood out to me is that he plays with a SERIOUS mean streak.

WOW! Bulaga at #4? That's the first I've seen anyone mock him that high. I will admit, he's probably my #1 pick among OT in this draft, but I figure we can at least trade back a few spots to get him. Though, If we took him at #4, I wouldn't be upset. He's a great fit for the ZBS.

He reminds me of Joe Thomas. If we don't go QB then I would like us to leave the 2010 draft with Bulaga and OT Rodger Saffold. I believe they would eventually be our new bookends. Both players are smart, physical and exactly what we need.

I think we are going to be VERY active in FA and through pre draft trades and that will dictate how the draft goes.

I don't think we will be even looking at the same team come then. I think we will revamp our O line fairly soon and even bring in another QB before then.

So, I think it will be hard to tell, what we will do in the draft.

This is the first draft in awhile that I really have no idea on who we will take.

Last year I really liked mauluga but not really at 13. My big three were Orakpo, Oher and Mauluga. So glad we got Orakpo.

The year we got Thomas, Kelly and Davis I really thought we should draft Calais Campbell.

The year we go Landry I really wanted Landry. Thought Taylor and him would be amazing.

This year I really want Spiller and a OL but Im just happy to have Shanahan so I will be ok with any direction he wants to go. I think we are going to get alot of FA's this year.

Archived