Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this wrong?

skinnyfan57

My 14 year-old boy recently had his cell phone taken away by his mother for being disrespectful. When an adult friend of the family mentioned that he was glad that he was getting some discipline, the boy told him "I don't want to hear your opinion."

Now the friend is upset and wants an apology but my boy refuses to do so. I think it's good that he has a strong personality.

What say you?

haha. Personality ?

No, he was being disrespectful again.

The smart thing for your son to have done is actually ask for his opinion and then shut it down.

Wait...Do you not discipline your kids ? Personally, I don't typically see the need for a 14 year old with a cell phone. And no, I am not telling you how to raise your kids.

haha. Personality ?

No, he was being disrespectful again.

The smart thing for your son to have done is actually ask for his opinion and then shut it down.

Wait...Do you not discipline your kids ? Personally, I don't typically see the need for a 14 year old with a cell phone. And no, I am not telling you how to raise your kids.

my son didn't have a cell phone (or a car) till he left for college

My 14 year-old boy recently had his cell phone taken away by his mother for being disrespectful. When an adult friend of the family mentioned that he was glad that he was getting some discipline, the boy told him "I don't want to hear your opinion."

Now the friend is upset and wants an apology but my boy refuses to do so. I think it's good that he has a strong personality.

What say you?

Is this some kind of joke? :doh:

To the OP... Please enlighten us all to what your son did originally that upset your wife so much that she decided to take his phone away.

I tell you now that, even if I was right...my parents would not have been cool with me saying that to someone.

Don't get me wrong surely they would have said something to the adult involved...but for me, my punishment would not have involved questioning the need for more discipline.

Sounds like something I would say. Your neighbor and your son both had disrespectful marks toward each other, therefore it's even I suppose. I wouldn't confront the neighbor but I'd say something to your son.

I don't know, if anyone should have gotten butt-hurt over the friend's comment, it should be the OP, not his son. Telling a kid that he's glad he's getting some discipline is more a shot towards the parent, not the kid. And that's not even disrespectful. Sounds like something I would say to one of my students if I heard one of their parents took away something because they did something wrong. I don't think that's "rubbing salt in a wound". Maybe the comment is unnecessary, but nothing bad.

Even if you both didn't like your friend's comments, your friend is an adult and your son should learn to respect that boundary....mouthing off just because he "doesn't want to hear a person's opinion" can get him in a lot of trouble if he does it to the wrong person.

Would you excuse him saying "I don't want to hear your opinion" to his teacher because it shows he has a strong personality?

I don't know, if anyone should have gotten butt-hurt over the friend's comment, it should be the OP, not his son. Telling a kid that he's glad he's getting some discipline is more a shot towards the parent, not the kid. And that's not even disrespectful. Sounds like something I would say to one of my students if I heard one of their parents took away something because they did something wrong. I don't think that's "rubbing salt in a wound". Maybe the comment is unnecessary, but nothing bad.

I agree, but you stated it a lot nicer than I would have. Especially the bold part. Thank you.

Is this some kind of joke? :doh:

^^This^^

A strong personality would mean that he can take the criticism (asked for or not - right ot wrong) learn from it and become a better person. What he did and is doing would have gotten me in a bunch of hot water for disrespecting an adult, which is a whole issue unto itself with the majority of today's youth.

Your son is 14, and his hormones are raging. At that age, a lot of boys do start questioning authority and showing some disrespect. To me that's normal; not necessarily ACCEPTABLE but NORMAL. As long as little petey isn't disrespecting his family or teachers, I'd just have a sit down with him.

Everyone complaining about a 14 YO with a Cell Phone? So what, my daughter and nephews have had them since they were 12, and my daughter is 17 now. BFD. To me, having that extra communication link to her is worth the $20 a month.

Archived