Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

iPod broke, buying a new one... Question...

KDawg

I'm looking at new iPods and I was thinking about just getting the shuffle. It would just be for sprints, running hills and training in the weight room... But when I look at the shuffle, it doesn't appear to have any way to actually change the song you're listening to. That can't be correct... The 4gig is $79. And even if it does have a way to change songs, it's 4gig less and only $70 cheaper than the nano...

The nano is $149 + the cost of an arm band I'd be looking more at around $200. The nano has a color screen, video camera and fm transmitter with it.

I'd prefer not to spend the extra cash, but it seems that the nano is the MUCH better idea.

Any selling points either way?

The whole thing with the shuffle is that it just plays your songs at random. Its not great if you are looking for a particular song. I have a Nano and I like it. Its pretty small just like the shuffle so it doesn't bother you while you're working out.

I think the iPod that just broke was a Generation 1 Nano. So I'm already comfortable with the nano...

Bah... It's looking more and more like I'm going to be spending the coin on that bad boy... :/

The new (3rd gen) shuffle does not only allow you to change songs, as the earlier shuffles did, it allows you to use playlists. The battery life is also better than the nano due to no screen soaking up energy. The way you operate it is a little device on the headphone wires. It allows you to adjust the volume, change songs, and change playlists. Nifty little player to be honest.

I'm looking at new iPods and I was thinking about just getting the shuffle. It would just be for sprints, running hills and training in the weight room... But when I look at the shuffle, it doesn't appear to have any way to actually change the song you're listening to. That can't be correct... The 4gig is $79. And even if it does have a way to change songs, it's 4gig less and only $70 cheaper than the nano...

The nano is $149 + the cost of an arm band I'd be looking more at around $200. The nano has a color screen, video camera and fm transmitter with it.

I'd prefer not to spend the extra cash, but it seems that the nano is the MUCH better idea.

Any selling points either way?

I only have experience with the shuffle and not the nano. I use it while working out and just clip it on my shirt. As someone else mentioned, you cant just select the song you want to hear unless you cycle through to find it. To me, thats a non issue, but I have an iphone so i have that functionality day to day (dont really use my iphone for music much though)...working out, i don't really care, i just throw a list of songs on there that i like listening to and change them out when i get bored. Battery life seems to be fairly good on it too, i charge it maaaybe once every week and half/two weeks. Use it at the gym around 4-5 hours a week and sometimes at work if im moving around a lot so maybe up to 10hours of battery life before needing to charge it. It's held up well too, mines going on 3 years old and no issues.

The negative I have for the shuffle is the actual shuffling of songs...it seems like i get repeats rather then it shuffling through all songs before repeating..could also be i dont have much on there...maybe 30 songs, and thats not even near capacity.

The shuffle scares me a bit too because it would be on my shorts. I do alot of complex movements that often have me going to the ground with some force... If I forget that that little guy is there is sounds like a recipe for a broken shuffle.

So I'm not sure if buying two shuffles would be a better idea than buying one nano. But then again, who knows if I'd actually break the thing.

I can, however, imagine a myriad of ways I'd break it :P

The shuffle scares me a bit too because it would be on my shorts. I do alot of complex movements that often have me going to the ground with some force... If I forget that that little guy is there is sounds like a recipe for a broken shuffle.

So I'm not sure if buying two shuffles would be a better idea than buying one nano. But then again, who knows if I'd actually break the thing.

Then get the replacement plan from best buy or whomever.

Even if you break it they will replace it typically.

If you are worried about breaking a shuffle the nano won't stand a chance. The shuffle is much tougher than the nano. No screen to damage. It's also light enough to clip to your shirt or really anywhere you want.

yeah, nothing wrong with getting a refurb. There's virtually no difference.

I have had both shuffle and Nano. I like the shuffle for working out. It's small and if you're running and doing sprints you're not gonna want to fiddle with controls. I'm more focused on my workout so I don't really look for a particular song—so I think if you want to save some $$ and aren't too much of a control freak go for the shuffle. Don't fear the shuffle. Apple created it in the first place because their market research told them that most/a lot of users just put their iPods on shuffle mode anyway.

If you are worried about breaking a shuffle the nano won't stand a chance. The shuffle is much tougher than the nano. No screen to damage. It's also light enough to clip to your shirt or really anywhere you want.

The nano would be on my arm. I haven't broken one yet in that spot.

I have had both shuffle and Nano. I like the shuffle for working out. It's small and if you're running and doing sprints you're not gonna want to fiddle with controls. I'm more focused on my workout so I don't really look for a particular song—so I think if you want to save some $$ and aren't too much of a control freak go for the shuffle. Don't fear the shuffle. Apple created it in the first place because their market research told them that most/a lot of users just put their iPods on shuffle mode anyway.

I powerlift. I have long breaks between sets to get amped up. It has zero to do with focus.

I actually hate shuffle modes on iPods or any piece of audio equipment.

Well even though you already bought something, just thought I'd throw in a good word for the Shuffle in case anyone else is considering it :)

4a112c294159b_108231n.jpg

(that's the one I have - apparently there's a newer version?)

I've had mine for 2-3 years now and it's been perfect for working out and regular daily use. Small enough and light enough to fit in my pocket or purse and clips right onto whatever you choose.

As for the music, it holds plenty (I think I have 5+ albums on mine now). I just update the playlist for mine occasionally. And yea, you can put it on random shuffle or you can let it go through the playlist normally.

Plus it was only like $70 (I think they go for like 20 now), so I don't really care if I lose it.

Archived