Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do skins fans think about bringing in Peppers?

Dallascrushers

For everyone banking on Jarmon, I worry you'll be disappointed, especially if you are banking on him as a pass rusher. Rushing the passer wasn't Jarmon's specialty in college, although he did have one good year in which he posted 9 sacks.

A few things you have to keep in mind about Jarmon - first, don't really pay attention to sack numbers in college, there are too many variables. The offenses are much different and it's harder to get sacks, especially in the SEC. QB's in the SEC are normally very gifted athletically, which helps them avoid pass rushers. The offenses in the SEC are also such that most QB's set up from the shotgun and get rid of the ball immediately to a speedy playmaker. And since Jarmon was probably UK's best pass rusher, he probably got double-teamed a ton. You also have to look at his QB pressures & hurries in college (I don't know what they were off hand). Plus we don't know what the coaches asked him to do and what his specific responsibilities were. He's a raw talent that can develop into a pretty good pass rusher with playing experience and the good coaching.

All of that said, an ACL is a big deal and we'll have to see how he is able to come back from it.

No thanks, old guy past his peak.

He's had 25 sacks the past two years. He's getting older, but don't make it seem like he's washed up now. He's still a better pass rusher than anyone on our team.

There's no problem in signing him to a shorter contract, regardless of the price since there is no Cap. Unless his contract costs so much that we have to pass on a couple other quality players.

He's 30. If we can get another two years out of him, he'd help make the transition to a 3-4 much simpler if he can contribute in that system.

];7265886']He's had 25 sacks the past two years. He's getting older' date=' but don't make it seem like he's washed up now. He's still a better pass rusher than anyone on our team.

There's no problem in signing him to a shorter contract, regardless of the price since there is no Cap. Unless his contract costs so much that we have to pass on a couple other quality players.

He's 30. If we can get another two years out of him, he'd help make the transition to a 3-4 much simpler if he can contribute in that system.[/quote']

Agreed. In a cap-less year, why in the blue hell would you not want him? The guy is an animal regardless if he takes plays off or not. That kind of production when you're taking some plays off is amazing.

];7265886']He's had 25 sacks the past two years. He's getting older' date=' but don't make it seem like he's washed up now. He's still a better pass rusher than anyone on our team.

He's 30. If we can get another two years out of him, he'd help make the transition to a 3-4 much simpler if he can contribute in that system.[/quote']

I dont want 2 years, I want 8-10. A 1 or 2 year run where we are dominate then suck for 15 is not the way I want to go. I want a decade of dominance and we wont get there with 30's on the decline in ability. Youth is the way I hope we go from here on out.

i like peppers and think hes a great player but moves like this havent worked out in the past what would make them work out now? For the longest time i feel like the management (snyder & cerrato) have had there stuff all backwards. They look for these aging super starts pay them way to much money and they dont perform. Then they look to the draft for more quick fix type of players who wind up fading away and never working out. the moral of the story is look to the draft to build around for the future while filling the holes through smart free agency moves. so long story short lets pass on peppers.

i like peppers and think hes a great player but moves like this havent worked out in the past what would make them work out now? For the longest time i feel like the management (snyder & cerrato) have had there stuff all backwards. They look for these aging super starts pay them way to much money and they dont perform. Then they look to the draft for more quick fix type of players who wind up fading away and never working out. the moral of the story is look to the draft to build around for the future while filling the holes through smart free agency moves. so long story short lets pass on peppers.

Agreed.

Sure we could sign him to a two year deal, IF, he is willing to go that route, but I would guess since he is 30 yrs old, he will probally be looking for at least a 4 year deal.

And if we did sign him to the deal, and he doesnt put up decent numbers, then he falls into the D. Sanders/ A. Archulleta catagory.

I think the two keys to bringing him in are:

1. Uncapped year

2. Pick up as FA and cost nothing.

First, he should cost the team nothing. If he does, easy no.

Second, since he won't come cheap, have to take advantage of the uncapped year and pay him up front money this year. If, a miracle happens, and we have a cap, then no. He is not worth taking up a lot of cap space.

Lastly, because we have so many more important needs and doubt we will be able to address Dline specifically this off season, why not bring him in if 1 and 2 are met.

I think the two keys to bringing him in are:

1. Uncapped year

2. Pick up as FA and cost nothing.

First, he should cost the team nothing. If he does, easy no.

Second, since he won't come cheap, have to take advantage of the uncapped year and pay him up front money this year. If, a miracle happens, and we have a cap, then no. He is not worth taking up a lot of cap space.

Lastly, because we have so many more important needs and doubt we will be able to address Dline specifically this off season, why not bring him in if 1 and 2 are met.

This. If there is no cap and he doesn't cost us a pick, then getting him isn't wasting our resources on a declining player.

Sorry, too much money and on his way down in terms of skill level. I would like to stay young on the lines.

well, its an uncapped year and Peppers could still outperform any of the YOUNG players on the line. The reason we don't want him is because you just can't keep bringing in high priced vets and alienate the rest of the team. I would rather have 11 really good players instead of 3 superstars and then a bunch of jealous teammates feeling underpaid and expressing their discontent with their play, their backbiting, and etc, etc. Thats just not the way to build team unity.

Isn't picking up older veterans something this board consistently (and rightfully) held Vinny accountable for as a bad move?

So why then does the fact its an uncapped year mean anything? He's an older veteran. Let's try something different: Develop a player.

Signing Peppers would be doing the same ole same ole for this franchise. My guess is Shanahan and Allen are smarter than that. And I like Peppers. Just not in DC.

it's not my money and the only fan whose money it will cost is DannyBoy so if he wants to pay 20 plus for 3 years or whatever it is so be it....peppers in the 3-4 for the next 3 years would be awesome............and personally I could care less whether we draft players or sign players all I want is to win. If we had Peppers, Orakpo, London and Rocky as our LB's that would be awesome!

I didn't see this post anywhere and if I missed it sorry guys. I just want to see what people think since Carolina will probably let him go because he will be costing them over 20 million dollars to franchise tag him because he is up for like a 20 percent raise. I don't know how he would fit in if we switched to a 3-4 defense. Let me know what you guys think.

I think bringing in a high priced free agent superstar savior like this at any cost is just the kind of fresh thinking that this organization needs!

Let's do it!

Archived