Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do skins fans think about bringing in Peppers?

Dallascrushers

It was mentioned all last season that he really wanted to go somewhere they played a 3-4 style of defense. I think that he would be great in whatever defense he wanted to play. I don't think that he would be all that great at LB. He would certainly be a large obstruction to the QB though. He really made the Vikings look bad this year. I would take him, provided the price is right.

If we are going to make any kind of splash for a defensive player I would hope it would be for Willfok, to play NT in the 3-4.

If we dont go to a 3-4 then we pick up some depth on defense.

That is the only position on defense that is an ABSOLUTE need this offseason if we do indeed switch to a 3-4. Schwartz and the media insist that Haynesworth will work as an NT, but truth is he's not built for the position and could be a lot more efficient at DE.

If we are going to make any kind of splash for a defensive player I would hope it would be for Willfok, to play NT in the 3-4.

Could you imagine being on an OL and having to line up across from Wilfork with Haynesworth right next to him?

:paranoid:

I didn't see this post anywhere and if I missed it sorry guys. I just want to see what people think since Carolina will probably let him go because he will be costing them over 20 million dollars to franchise tag him because he is up for like a 20 percent raise. I don't know how he would fit in if we switched to a 3-4 defense. Let me know what you guys think.

I don't want any more "retreads" coming in here. I think we need to find our own young talent and raise them up to be a Redskin.:)

Unless he'd come cheap (relatively speaking), I say forget Peppers. He just turned 30 and seems slower than he used to be. We need to use the money to fill other needs, and defensive line really isn't a major need compared to other positions.

AC is getting older as well, but just for reference, he's 8 months older than Peppers and had .5 more sacks than Peppers did last year. I say stick with AC for now.

Peppers said last year he didn't want to be franchised and wanted to go only to a team that ran a 3-4, so he'd like the system for sure. At his age though, we'd have to give him an enormous contract for just one or two more years of productivity from him before he declines.

I don't think Peppers is the answer, I'd rather go with drafting and developing our own players.

Actually Peppers has talked about playing as a 3-4 DE and at 283, his playing weight according NFL.com, he's only two pounds below the minimum weight you want for a 3-4 DE.

No, you're wrong. He's talked about wanting to play 3-4 OLB

That is the only position on defense that is an ABSOLUTE need this offseason if we do indeed switch to a 3-4. Schwartz and the media insist that Haynesworth will work as an NT, but truth is he's not built for the position and could be a lot more efficient at DE.

Aside from the personal b/s what Haynesworth will or won't want to do, (not that, that should or will matter. He's paid to play, wherever the coaches put him. And Holiday Camp shay Redskins for the players left the building with the clown now tutoring Flaco up in Baltimore); I really don't get the "he's not built for the position" line as regards a 34 NT.

I can see the argument for him as more of a 34 end to be more disruptive, (although personaly I'd preffer a 34 with smaller, quicker more athletic ends to start the pass rush); but he's the PERFECT size and build for a 34 NT. If he can't take on double blocks in the A gaps, and stuff any attempted run through them, nobody can.

If he comes back with a professional attitude that he's not shown thus far in DC, and we condition his fat ass into shape to actually stay on the field, he's the perfect 34 NT.

Hail.

*Edit* No to Peppers BTW as regards the OP's question. Not at this stage of his career, and the money he'd generate. Much rather work on developing our own as we move forward from scratch with the new system for DC.

GHH, he's the right weight, but not the right frame. the reason he was paid 100 mil was because of his wrecking ability as a 4-3 DT. That does not play the same role as a 3-4 NT and the skills won't translate to full potential, i.e. we're not getting our money's worth. It would be worth it to find a true 3-4 NT (wilfork, hampton, through the draft) and let Big Al do his thing. I know hes a whiner, but he also wants his team to win...

I guess we see different things TCBR.

I understand the burst he has to get into he backfield and be disruptive with his strength; but if he's disciplined, I don't see why he can't translate into the perfect 3-4 NT.

Perfect weight, big, thick, long arms to take on the A gap blocks, (not many linemen will overpower and move the fat man back), and he can be a beast against the run.

It'll sure be interesting to see what Haslett and his staff decide to do with him.

Hail.

I second this. The other advantage that Wilfork has over Peppers is age. Nose tackles, in general, have a very long shelf life, and can play extraordinarily well into their mid 30's.

The fact that Jarmon has no sacks so far doesn't mean anything. He was being developed at the position and unfortunately got injured midseason. He's a great prospect.

For everyone banking on Jarmon, I worry you'll be disappointed, especially if you are banking on him as a pass rusher. Rushing the passer wasn't Jarmon's specialty in college, although he did have one good year in which he posted 9 sacks.

Our best hope for Jarmon is that he will recover fully and lock down one of our 5 technique positions. I can't really come up with a poster child however for DL that have had their ACL reconstructed and come back to have a very productive career. Maybe Osi will be that guy.

The point is, even if Jarmon Pans out most 3-4 teams don't get a lot of sacks out of their ends. Aside from Richard Seymour, I can't think of another 3-4 DE that is very successful in pressuring the QB. We still need another rusher across from Rak. Wilson is a lot more likely to have an impact in our new scheme, as a rusher, than Jarmon is.

For everyone banking on Jarmon, I worry you'll be disappointed, especially if you are banking on him as a pass rusher...................The point is, even if Jarmon Pans out most 3-4 teams don't get a lot of sacks out of their ends.

That's the thing, there is more to the position than sacks. Take Philip Daniels for instance. Great run stopper. Sack machine? No. You can't have pure pass rush or you'll get run over every game. You need a good mix of player styles on your defense.

Archived