Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Carter?

MTechnik

I like #99... but he doesn't like the 3-4, it's why he left San Fran. We can "make do" with chris wilson and brian orakpo at outside linebacker (if we're transitioning to a 3-4). He has had a great year with double digit sacks, his trade value won't get much better. (He's also 30.)

We should trade him while we can get good value for him. Thinking something around what we paid for taylor. With the extra value in o-linemen, we could use an extra second round pick.

Not to be pessimistic, but while his market value may be higher right now I can't imagine it being very high. If you were a GM, how much would you give up for a guy who would start next season at 31? A 4th? Maybe a 3rd, if it's a lower 3rd? Maybe?

Teams will be excited that he's healthy and durable, but they'll look at the hot-and-cold sack numbers for the last 4 years and combine that with the age and wonder if he's worth it.

I don't think we can get from other teams what he's worth to us, so I'd keep him. I'm all for trading players, would love to see us trade good players where we have depth, like Cooley, if the offer is strong, but Carter isn't too expensive, he's been good for us, he knows the teammates, we're not super deep there... I can't see any reason to trade him unless someone knocked us over with an offer.

If you could get a willing trade partner to give up a second, I'd be more than down with that idea.

Unfortunately, unlike the Jason Taylor move you referenced, not all team's are as boneheaded as the Washington Redskins with Vinny Cerrato making the call's. (Admittedly in desperation on the Taylor pick, but all relevant.).

I'd be personally shocked if you could get that for Carter who's never really been what you'd class as a top echelon end/outside LB, without his age.

Nice idea, I just don't see it ever coming to fruition, shrugs.

Hail.

Yeah I think the best we could get a 4th. Maybe a 3rd if a team was really desperate. But we will see. Does anybody know what side Andre played in the 3-4. Did he line up on the Left side(on the Right Tackle) I think he was on the other side.

All I know is I want Rak on the Right side with haynesworth playn right end.

If you could get a willing trade partner to give up a second, I'd be more than down with that idea.

Unfortunately, unlike the Jason Taylor move you referenced, not all team's are as boneheaded as the Washington Redskins with Vinny Cerrato making the call's. (Admittedly in desperation on the Taylor pick, but all relevant.).

I'd be personally shocked if you could get that for Carter who's never really been what you'd class as a top echelon end/outside LB, without his age.

Hail.

There is absolutely no way anyone gives up a second round pick for a 30 year old DE who is not a perennial Pro Bowler. Just no way.

Carter has a no-trade clause, which would probably diminish the market for him.

If there's a place he'd agree to go that's not in the NFC East, and we can get a 4th rounder for him, I make the deal...

Might be easier to deal him if we accept a player in return vs. a draft pick.

What the hell is with people?

"We want to build a championship team, what should we do?"

"I know! Lets trade all of our good players away!"

This isn't Franchise mode in Madden folks. Real teams aren't going to give you much value in return. And while it may be fun to speculate on the draft or opine on play calling, the "let's trade so-and-so" threads are as silly as it gets IMHO. Like Bruce Allen is watching the board for ideas. :hysterical:

Hail.

I would be sad to see Carter go... he's exactly what you want in a teammate. The guy is a serious workhorse and is the type of player who will be effective until his mid-30s. If we switch to 3-4 and can swoop a 2nd rounder from someone, I think it's a no-brainer... but anything less would really be a disappointment to me.

This isn't Franchise mode in Madden folks. Real teams aren't going to give you much value in return. And while it may be fun to speculate on the draft or opine on play calling, the "let's trade so-and-so" threads are as silly as it gets IMHO. Like Bruce Allen is watching the board for ideas. :hysterical:

Yeah but building a championship team from a team that went 4-12 and looked like the worst team in the league for some of the year definitely requires starting over all across the board. And starting over means getting rid of some of the old guys and bringing in some draft picks and young guys who want to compete.

2nd rounder?

Can we get a 1st rounder for El?

Is Dan Snyder now with some other team, and making personnel decisions for them? I wasn't aware of that.

puff, puff, pass

A pass-rushing DE that can get the QB and play the run is a luxury many teams in this league don't have.

I agree that a second round pick is a HUGE stretch... but I also feel like that trading Carter for even a 3rd would be a very questionable move on our part.

Bruce Allen wouldn't get anything for Andre Carter except a 4th or 5th rounder. While Carter has been productive, his age is of concern. If Jim Haslett can incorporate the 4-3 defense along with the 3-4, Carter might be happy with switching from ROLB to RDE. So the Redskins might very well end up keeping him.

We can't be a real Super Bowl contender for a couple of years. By then, Carter will be 33. So, if you could get value for him, and move his cap number, it does make some sense.

Exactly, Everyone seems to be playing Fantasy Football. Trades in the NFL don't happen all the time. I'm pretty sure our coaches aren't going to just disguard everything we do well for the sake of change.

I hear in 4 yrs the Skins will be running the option on offense exclusively...that being said should we trade all of the WR's now for TE's and OL? I mean it's unofficial like the switch to the 3-4 and all, but it's sooooo unofficial it's obviously happening right...whaddya think?

I'm pretty sure the Skins could get 5 or 6 1st round draft choices in this coming draft for the WR's on the roster, or atleast 5-6 Pro Bowl OLmen. This sounds great...I'm soo happy...yay for us!!! Yay!!!

I hear in 4 yrs the Skins will be running the option on offense exclusively...that being said should we trade all of the WR's now for TE's and OL? I mean it's unofficial like the switch to the 3-4 and all, but it's sooooo unofficial it's obviously happening right...whaddya think?

I'm pretty sure the Skins could get 5 or 6 1st round draft choices in this coming draft for the WR's on the roster, or atleast 5-6 Pro Bowl OLmen. This sounds great...I'm soo happy...yay for us!!! Yay!!!

Wow....you really have a gift for comedy. Has anyone ever told you that? :doh:

Yes we want to build a Championship team that can compete for the next decade. Andre Carter will likely never be a part of one of these teams. Last year NE traded third and fourth round picks for Derrick Burgess coming off a 10 game, 3.5 sack season and an 8 sack season the year before. Carter is the same age now Burgess was then (30) but coming off an infinitely better season. Deserving or not teams will always pay a premium for pass rushers, its the second most important position in football.

If we could get a third for Carter I would do it. Yes he is a good player but if we are going to a 3-4 his value drops for us. His value in a trade will never be higher than it is now and he isn't in our long term plans. Assuming the value is right this seems like a no brainer.

Carter is not going anywhere and with all this talk about the 3-4 and he can't adapt is just not true. One thing he has going for him is that he has experience in the 3-4. The other thing that no one has ever thought about is the combination of two defenses. Who is to say that they play a 3-4 but change it up every once in a while and employ a 4-3 look to confuse the offense. As far as trading Cooley for draft picks, that won't happen no matter how much you want it to it just won't happen.

Archived