Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trade Carter?

MTechnik

i say try and get a 3rd round pick for him. Carter has mileage but with trade value. We also have an up and coming DE named Jeremy Jarmon who showed us glimpses of being able to play in the NFL. out with the old, in with the new is my theory.

You sho did tell me. I don't mind discussions if it's something in the realm of possibility or reasonable. However, posts about trading Carter or any other aging veteran for a second round pick does not, at all, seem like a reasonable scenario worth exploring. The only person that would make a Jason Taylor (Andre Carter in this example) type trade would be Vinny.

These kinds of trades happen every year. The Patriots traded a 3rd round pick for Derrick Burgess who:

1.) was coming off one of the worst seasons of his career

2.) turned 31 six days later

3.) had to make a position change to linebacker to fit their scheme.

You don't think Carter, who also has a very favorable contract commands at least his value being that he's a year younger and is coming off the best season of his career, has little history of injury, and is in excellent shape?

I don't think a second rounder is out of the question at all. A third and some change is probably easier, but there are teams like Tennessee that will have a desperate need for defensive ends.

We wait years for sacks and when we finally get them, people want to trade the guy who gets us the most. Brilliant.

We finally get a few very good pass catchers with our TEs and people want to trade one. Brilliant.

Smart teams trade players at their peak. Dumb teams run players into the ground until they have no value and are stuck with them.

The Redskins are not in postion to make a serious run at winning the division or going to deep into the playoffs. It will take a minimum of two years before this happens.

So why not get VALUE for older players where there is DEPTH, to help fill other areas with more glaring needs with younger players?

I like #99... but he doesn't like the 3-4, it's why he left San Fran. We can "make do" with chris wilson and brian orakpo at outside linebacker (if we're transitioning to a 3-4). He has had a great year with double digit sacks, his trade value won't get much better. (He's also 30.)

We should trade him while we can get good value for him. Thinking something around what we paid for taylor. With the extra value in o-linemen, we could use an extra second round pick.

I agree conceptually, but i don't think we'll get value for Carter.

Personally, i think that Chris Wilson can be as effective if not more effective then Carter in a 3-4 defense which makes Carter expendable.

But the question becomes what value could we get?

If we could get a 2nd round or 3rd round pick i would make the trade.

But i think its unlikely.

Smart teams trade players at their peak. Dumb teams run players into the ground until they have no value and are stuck with them.

The Redskins are not in postion to make a serious run at winning the division or going to deep into the playoffs. It will take a minimum of two years before this happens.

So why not get VALUE for older players where there is DEPTH, to help fill other areas with more glaring needs with younger players?

Because I doubt we will get the value for him. He is a very solid player for us and great in the locker room as well. I don't think it's impossible for us to be a very improved team next season and if we are, Carter will be a part of that and his value will still be high.

What kind of value do you honestly think we could get for him, that would out way what he means to the team?

What kind of value do you honestly think we could get for him, that would out way what he means to the team?

Trading Carter has been an intruiging idea to me. I am on the fence. What it comes down to are a few things; free agency, value, and scheme.

I'll start with scheme. The team is transitioning to a 3-4. How much they utilize a 3-4 and the 4-3 should really be thought about when keeping Carter. I don't think Carter will be a total wash as a 3-4 end, but I don't think his value will be that high to us in that scheme. So how often they use a 4-3 will make them think.

This years free agency is a bit different. It will likely be riddled with aging players. Considering Carter is at his peak, replacing him with another again vet for a couple of years isn't a bad idea. ESPECIALLY if that player comes from a 3-4, then they would be A LOT more valuable to us than Carter would.

Everything is dependent on value. Every year, there is a team that feels they are 1 or 2 players away from making a serious run. Carter would be perfect for that team. So really, the market sets the value. Personally, I wouldn't mind shedding Carter for a 3rd because of the transition on defense. I'm thinking long term. By the time the defense makes the full transition, Carter will be almost useless based on age and ability in a 3-4. Will a team give up a 3rd for him? I don't know.

Carter isn't a great run stopper but I'm not aware of a pass rusher in the league that is. In defense ends they're usually either good/great at one and average/below average at the other or average at both.

All that being said I still think we should trade him if our long term plan is to transition to a 3-4.

My point exactly

I am just being a truth fighter:evilg:.Carter is not a elite DE,Fans every year overrate atleast 4 players a year.Fans put Carter in the same class with Orakpo,Ware,Cole,Allen,ect.AC is not as good of a rusher as those mentioned.Carter is basically Bruce Smith in DC.In other words,Carter is a Solid DEnd in the NFL, coming off a good season. If AC was 25 years old,and not 31,the sky would be the limit for Andre. Unfortunately,because of his old age,we don't have the luxury to waste any time with him.His value is pretty solid now,Take avantage of the opportunity.We have AC's(younger)replacements already,He hates the 3-4(can't balme him),and he plays poorly in the system,If he has a off year this season he will be 32 years old the next year.:(

This would be exactly why I am so against going to a 3-4.

we have a 10-15 sack guy who never gets hurt and is decent against the run, he is a good teammate and works hard. we might geta 4th rounder for this player and people want to do it?

heres a hint, keep Carter, dont run a defence we arent set up for and instead of a 4th opr 5th rounder we get 10-15 sacks from a guy. (more if we get rak on the field more)

if we MUST start running some 3-4 do it as a package first until we are more set up for it.

we have a 10-15 sack guy who never gets hurt and is decent against the run, he is a good teammate and works hard. we might geta 4th rounder for this player and people want to do it?

heres a hint, keep Carter, dont run a defence we arent set up for and instead of a 4th opr 5th rounder we get 10-15 sacks from a guy. (more if we get rak on the field more)

if we MUST start running some 3-4 do it as a package first until we are more set up for it.

Our new coaching staff is far from the gaggle of dummies we are used to. I would imagine (and considering they even said they would) stick with a 4-3 until they are ready and then incorporate some 3-4 hybrid stuff.

This is not a square peg, round hole group of coaches.

F.Y.I-Carter has never had a 15 sack season in his career :evilg:

Also he has never had a back to back 10+ sack seasons :evilg:

Don't belive into the Vinny draft Logic either. Alot of late round Picks are studs too! :evilg:

Why are you bringing Daniels into this. Daniels is a running stopping DE?

I was being sarcastic.

You posted that because Carter has had more tackles than Rakpo this year,He is automatically a better run stopper.I was just pointing out the contradiction in the post.Technically speaking,Carter has more tackles than PD,as well as Rakpo does,according to your post that will make them the superior Run stopper.

I will reiterate, stats are some times misleading :evilg:

whether we switch, stay, or something in the middle... i hope we aren't making scheme decisions based on the skill set of ONE player. particularly if that player is 30 years old, with a superior replacement waiting in the wings.

My point exactly

I am just being a truth fighter:evilg:.Carter is not a elite DE,Fans every year overrate atleast 4 players a year.Fans put Carter in the same class with Orakpo,Ware,Cole,Allen,ect.AC is not as good of a rusher as those mentioned.Carter is basically Bruce Smith in DC.In other words,Carter is a Solid DEnd in the NFL, coming off a good season. If AC was 25 years old,and not 31,the sky would be the limit for Andre. Unfortunately,because of his old age,we don't have the luxury to waste any time with him.His value is pretty solid now,Take avantage of the opportunity.We have AC's(younger)replacements already,He hates the 3-4(can't balme him),and he plays poorly in the system,If he has a off year this season he will be 32 years old the next year.:(

You called Rak an eliete player after only one year? Okay we trade Carter for a pick, would that pick be as valuable as Carter right now? Sometimes I don't understand you guys and your logic. Trade a proven player that is good on the field and in the locker room for an unproven draft pick. Very smart thinking, I just glad some of you guys don't run this team because we really would be in bad shape.

I was being sarcastic.

You posted that because Carter has had more tackles than Rakpo this year,He is automatically a better run stopper.I was just pointing out the contradiction in the post.Technically speaking,Carter has more tackles than PD,as well as Rakpo does,according to your post that will make them the superior Run stopper.

I will reiterate, stats are some times misleading :evilg:

I guess stats are only misleading when they don't point out what you want them to? I personally don't go on stats, I go on what my eyes see. Carter was our 2nd best player on defense this year behind London and he is bar far better than anyone our time in his position.

I guess stats are only misleading when they don't point out what you want them to? I personally don't go on stats, I go on what my eyes see. Carter was our 2nd best player on defense this year behind London and he is bar far better than anyone our time in his position.

What does BAR FAR mean? :evilg:

do you mean All time?:laugh:

Do you know who Dexter Manley is ? Charles Mann? no need to continue on,You must be Vinny,or Andre Carter, himself.:hysterical:

Seems to me like the people who want to trade Carter also want to blow up the team and completely rebuild which isn't going to happen here in D.C ever. The goal of any offseason should be to improve the team not make it worse, you deal Carter for anything other than a 1st round pick and we are going to be worse off talent wise than we were the season before and have a gaping hole at RDE. Andre has a few more good years left and is coming off a pro bowl season, he makes affordable money and is a good locker room presence, trading him would be asinine.

Archived