Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: DC Sports Bog: Redskins to install HD video screens at FedEx

bubba9497

I think Art gets a little credit too...

If you want to formally recognize everyone who mentioned the HD screens after me, then by all means, lets include Art. He did mention them later that day in our San Diego coverage and he always enjoys seeing his name in print.

Unfortunately Fedex was built right before the new type stadiums started coming along that bring a much better game day experience. This was Cooke's dream stadium and I'm sure Dan has already been planning what his will look like someday. After seeing the new Cowboys home, Dan will definitely have to top it. Fedex is still only 13 years old and on average would probably last 30 years without major reconstruction. I doubt Dan will wait another 17 years to build his dream stadium. He probably didn't want to put a ton of money into Fedex but I think he realized he had to. I would be shocked if the skins didn't have a new home in 10 years. Maybe even back in D.C. with all the technological advancements known to man. I can't even imagine what kind of money it will take or what it would look like. But I'm sure he will do everything in his power to top the man in Dallas.

How many seats will have to be removed to fit these in?

EDIT:

Nevermind. I just looked at a photo of the current set up, and I see it won't require the removal of any seats, just the permanent ads, which they'll just show on the new video screens.

This probably has been in the works for a while, but it has taken a bit longer to get out than some thought. Remember a couple of years ago when Terl took a tour of the recently upgraded inner works of the video board, which we found out could actually support an HD video screen. Course, many were thinking it was going to happen last offseason. Well, I guess we were just a year off on that one.

EDIT:

Nevermind. I just looked at a photo of the current set up, and I see it won't require the removal of any seats, just the permanent ads, which they'll just show on the new video screens.

Which is too bad... they could use losing about 10k-15k seats. Mostly opposing teams fans that grab the last 20k seats or so. Especially recently when we haven't been playing so well. Im just glad its finally happening. Sounds like Mr. Snyder is listening to the fans after having tried it his way for so long with poor results.

EDIT:

Actually, I do believe some seats are being removed from the endzone. I believe both Art and Murf mentioned this when they were in SD when MURF broke the news. I don't think these are the only upgrades that we are going to see.

When we were at Fed Ex in November for the premium members flag football game, we were taking a tour of the Skins locker room, and a Redskins staffer told us then to expect big changes at FedEX starting this year. They didn't mention HD boards by name, but said they were coming soon because there was only 1 company left that serviced and supplied parts to the lite brite because it was so outdated.

I was told yesterday by someone with the Skins that on Friday I would be receiving an information package detailing the changes (I'm guessing along with an invoice..lol) We have club seats in the End Zone, and when news broke earlier this month about the new HD boards, I called my ticket rep and he said he couldn't confirm that rumor, but told me if it did happen, it would affect our current seats. (We sit in the last row in the endzone clubs). When I called him yesterday, he said we were indeed being moved along with approx. 3,000 others. He didn't say if that was just clubs or GA seats. So take that as you will. It sounds like to me that maybe the endzone club seats are being removed. Or maybe they are other upgrades being made around the stadium that will require other people to move.

Has anyone heard anything else on this?

We still need to list reasons why we're unhappy about this. Does this mean we won't see the dude with his arms going up and down with "DE-FENSE" below him like it was on the old lite-brite? :D

Seriously, while I'm sure there's more that people complain about when it comes to the FedEx experience, the installation of these new screens is the most important upgrade the Skins could've made (short of guaranteeing a winning team, of course!) and should wipe away many of the complaints about the game-day experience.

Archived