Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: DC Sports Bog: Redskins to install HD video screens at FedEx

bubba9497

We still need to list reasons why we're unhappy about this. Does this mean we won't see the dude with his arms going up and down with "DE-FENSE" below him like it was on the old lite-brite? :D

Seriously, while I'm sure there's more that people complain about when it comes to the FedEx experience, the installation of these new screens is the most important upgrade the Skins could've made (short of guaranteeing a winning team, of course!) and should wipe away many of the complaints about the game-day experience.

It is indeed a great start.

What else could help the gameday experience? I've only been to FedEx, unfortunately, so I don't know what could help our stadium or what makes other gameday experiences better than our 28th-ranked one.

What else could help the gameday experience? I've only been to FedEx, unfortunately, so I don't know what could help our stadium or what makes other gameday experiences better than our 28th-ranked one.

Obvious answer is not fielding a team led by Jim Zorn and actually have a chance at scoring some points / winning some games. :doh:

In all seriousness my problem with Snyders gameday experience has mainly been the constant advertising that goes on for 4 quarters all in ear rattling sound. You leave a game with the papa john's jingle in your head or thinking about what kind of insurance you want to buy for your car.

I get the business side of it i just think the fans deserve a little better than to pay to get brainwashed by advertising for 4 hours, especially when there are so many other things they could be showing Redskin related to fire up the crowd. Snyders problem is he doesn't know how to turn down money and will always try to squeeze the last drop of blood from the fanbase.

I had never been to a UFC event before last months fight at the Patriot Center but I can tell you those people get it and will be getting my business next time they come back to town. Hands down the best live show I have ever been, only the Caps hold a candle to that kind of atmosphere locally.

Obvious answer is not fielding a team led by Jim Zorn and actually have a chance at scoring some points / winning some games. :doh:

In all seriousness my problem with Snyders gameday experience has mainly been the constant advertising that goes on for 4 quarters all in ear rattling sound. You leave a game with the papa john's jingle in your head or thinking about what kind of insurance you want to buy for your car.

I get the business side of it i just think the fans deserve a little better than to pay to get brainwashed by advertising for 4 hours, especially when there are so many other things they could be showing Redskin related to fire up the crowd. Snyders problem is he doesn't know how to turn down money and will always try to squeeze the last drop of blood from the fanbase.

I had never been to a UFC event before last months fight at the Patriot Center but I can tell you those people get it and will be getting my business next time they come back to town. Hands down the best live show I have ever been, only the Caps hold a candle to that kind of atmosphere locally.

Okay, so too much advertising = bad (yes, two seasons of tickets will definitely have me agree with you on that).

However, what SHOULD be there? Say that we can't make any structural changes to the stadium, but we can make cosmetic ones (the new screens for instance), and we have no control over the actual coaches/players on the field. What can be done to enhance the experience?

Okay, so too much advertising = bad (yes, two seasons of tickets will definitely have me agree with you on that).

However, what SHOULD be there? Say that we can't make any structural changes to the stadium, but we can make cosmetic ones (the new screens for instance), and we have no control over the actual coaches/players on the field. What can be done to enhance the experience?

I guess this goes along with the constant advertising, but the PA announcer needs to go. I guess I just associate him with the cheesy corporate atmosphere.

After that, just put a winning team on the field. As much as people complain about the stadium, winning games has the greatest effect on the experience. Winning teams=roudy fans=great time at FedEx.

I guess this goes along with the constant advertising, but the PA announcer needs to go. I guess I just associate him with the cheesy corporate atmosphere.

After that, just put a winning team on the field. As much as people complain about the stadium, winning games has the greatest effect on the experience. Winning teams=roudy fans=great time at FedEx.

I don't know, there has to be something besides that. No events going on? More giveaways? Free programs? Contests not involving fried chicken? I think that those things could help.

You know, I may be in the minority, but I'm gonna miss the Lite Brite...just a little. I hope they incorporate some of the animations from it in the new screen as a like throwback sometimes..like the two generic jock dudes shaking their fists and saying DE-FENSE. Those guys are like staples of game day, man!

I don't know, there has to be something besides that. No events going on? More giveaways? Free programs? Contests not involving fried chicken? I think that those things could help.

Seriously, the biggest issue is getting there and getting out.

If Dan could figure out a way to make that part of the expeirence better, where I don't kill my entire sunday (basically 10 am, to 5:30 pm for a 1 game) then I'd be cool.

Part of it is out of his hands as he did not build the stadium in freakin landover and really has no control of the roads beyond FedEx Field

If Dan could figure out a way to make that part of the expeirence better, where I don't kill my entire sunday (basically 10 am, to 5:30 pm for a 1 game) then I'd be cool.

Part of it is out of his hands as he did not build the stadium in freakin landover and really has no control of the roads beyond FedEx Field

Great point!

I think that the shuttle service should be restarted. I used to go to the Metro and take a bus for six bucks round-trip over to the stadium and then take it back. Very easy and worth the money. They stopped it in 2008 after negotiations fell through with Metro.

Honestly, I'd pay up to ten dollars for that.

Now if only we could get some sweet LED ribbon boards.
I think there will be "other" new screens:
There will be 10 other new screens in the lower bowl, from the game clocks to the time clocks to the out-of-town scoreboard displays, which will be equipped to also convey game stats and fantasy football totals.
Now, I take this to mean that these 10 new screens will be on the facing of the club level. My guess is they will be "ribbon" boards that can scroll scores and stats. And we can get rid of the old time clock. Of course, this is my interpretation of reading what I quoted, so I could be wrong.

I think there will be "other" new screens:Now, I take this to mean that these 10 new screens will be on the facing of the club level. My guess is they will be "ribbon" boards that can scroll scores and stats. And we can get rid of the old time clock. Of course, this is my interpretation of reading what I quoted, so I could be wrong.

I'll be nostalgic over the scoreboard replacement. Lots of pictures of scores from there!

There are multiple ways in and out of the stadium. I do not post game it in the lots, and I am home in Ashburn by 6PM from a 1PM game. You are talking an hour after the game ends, and the 15-20 min walk to my car. It takes ~45 min to make the drive on a non-gameday Saturday. If you are willing to take surface roads, you can avoid the Arena Dirve/Redskins Road debacle. Of course, this rules out attending the ES tailgate.

Great point!

I think that the shuttle service should be restarted. I used to go to the Metro and take a bus for six bucks round-trip over to the stadium and then take it back. Very easy and worth the money. They stopped it in 2008 after negotiations fell through with Metro.

Honestly, I'd pay up to ten dollars for that.

Bingo. There's really no way to control traffic leaving the stadium, because the backup starts on the beltway. Promoting public transportation would provide a realistic alternative for fans.

If you want to formally recognize everyone who mentioned the HD screens after me, then by all means, lets include Art. He did mention them later that day in our San Diego coverage and he always enjoys seeing his name in print.

:hysterical:

Kind of makes all the excuses they made about how it couldn't be done look silly.

QFT. Avoiding cynicism is even more difficult after finding out the info about the tinytron being so old that only one company would still service it. It sounds like this upgrade was pretty much forced by circumstance.

Regardless of the reason, it's a very welcome improvement to the gameday experience and our long-suffering fans certainly deserve it. Besides, along with the other moves, it's a big step in the right direction and is hopefully, hopefully :fingersx: a sign that Snyder is finally "getting" it. I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point.

Now, about the lousy food, excess advertising, cheesy announcer, etc... Yeah, I know. Baby steps. ;)

It is about time they upgraded the "light bright" system

For real...

It was embarrassing when I took my wife to a game a while back and she constantly made fun of that defense guy...well, that and the fact that she cheered more than anyone else around us and she doesn't give a damn about the Redskins.

It's about time, Dan. It's about time...:point2sky

There will be 10 other new screens in the lower bowl, from the game clocks to the time clocks to the out-of-town scoreboard displays, which will be equipped to also convey game stats and fantasy football totals.
:excited:

I just hope these gigantor screens don't dig into the band's seating...

The Redskins band is one of my favorite gameday experiences, and I cherish the fact that we were one of the first and one of the last couple teams to have a marching band...

I just hope these gigantor screens don't dig into the band's seating...

The Redskins band is one of my favorite gameday experiences, and I cherish the fact that we were one of the first and one of the last couple teams to have a marching band...

Well, if the images we are seeing in the other thread are accurate, it appears the screen will be raised two feet - rather than lowered two feet. So if that's true, I don't see an impact in the seating there....

I said this in an earlier thread, and I'll repeat it here. Most people around here know that I've been a HUGE critic of Dan Snyder. But, these last few weeks, I'm starting to see him "trying." That is, doing the "right things" to get this team better on the field and to do better by the fans off the field. I'm not saying all is forgiven, but this is a good start.

Archived