Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grad School Locations (input if you live(d) in...)

Ghost of

Before someone chimes in with city-data forums, I KNOW about that :) I'm asking my trusted advisors here on ES.

Right now, I don't have any acceptance letters but some programs in my desired field require a Master's Degree before entry into the doctoral track. That and I would really like to continue to go to school now that I'm on a roll (with few exceptions, if I go straight into PhD, I will be looking at starting Fall 2011.)

So, all that said, I will apply to Iowa for cost reasons (and I know that different schools may offer different aid packages, but if there's something specific let me know that information) and it has a decent overall rank for its school of Education (I'm looking at Higher Ed. Administration.)

If I'm going to be somewhere other than saving money, I've been thinking that the South would be a good place to go for reasons of cost of living, general crime rate and frankly, weather. One can only endure so many -5 days and the like without wanting some relief. That and there might be a good supply of marriageable mates in these places.

I'm looking at major schools like Tennessee, Ole Miss, Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Texas A&M (so anyone with College Station experience, please chime in!) So for those of you who have lived in Athens, Tuscaloosa, Oxford etc please tell me how you felt about it. And living in the really tiny one-bar, one-pizza joint college towns is not my idea of fun, so if you have alternatives please let me know but let it be a still decent-sized town or perhaps a recommendation for Oregon or something lol.

Keep in mind, I have a girlfriend but I expect to be single by the time I leave the state. This is also a two-year stint which may or not be followed by a 3-4 year stint pursuing the doctorate. Any encouragements, pointers or warnings are most appreciated.

Well I have spent time in all of the cities/towns of the schools you listed. But a few of those I've obviously spent more time in. I've been to College Station plenty, as I've had friends that attended A&M, but I'm not exactly an expert. I've also been to Athens as I am a hardcore UGA fan, so I'll definitely try to convince you to go there (:D). I love spending some time there and think it's a great town. And Austin...well it's probably my favorite city I've ever been to. I love that place.

I can get almost anyone to tell me about Austin (that is making the assumption that I'd even get in, I'm sure it's a desirable location for grad students) but since you've been to College Station and Athens several times, let me know what you think of those places. It may even be helpful to get the perspective of someone who doesn't live there full-time.

I know Athens isn't far from Atlanta, so it has that but let's pretend that isn't the case--what can you tell me about those two places? :)

Have you looked into Florida State at all?

I saw Iowa was ranked 32nd Overall for its Masters in Education program according to U.S. News, but FSU is ranked 41st, which is on par with Tennessee, Missouri, and ahead of Texas A&M.

Just a thought. Shoot me a PM if you'd like, and I can fill you in on Tally and the Education program.

I'd say the first thing to ask is, what kind of program are you in? Is it worth paying an out of state tuition for it? Or is it a type of program where they will pay you to come in?

I have been in Knoxville since the fall of 2007 and graduate in a few months now. I plan on moving back to Northern VA.

The cost of living is definitely low here, you can find great apartments or even rent small houses for really cheap (like under $1000). It's really not worth buying a house/condo in the area as the market here never had a bubble to burst in the first place. The weather is a bit warmer, rarely does it ever get below 20 degrees and typically stays with highs in the mid 40s in the wintertime.

As for crime rate, TN is actually listed as one of the most "dangerous states" but that is mainly attributable to cities like Jackson and Memphis existing out in west TN. In Knoxville, you do have a number of car and house break ins, but for the most part it's nothing too big. Chances are you will be living in areas where that kinda of stuff is not likely to happen.

The bar scene in Knoxville is solid. In the downtown/university area alone you have three places. One is strictly college age students, one is more family friendly but has a solid amount of people of all ages there, and one is more of a club area which probably has the best range of people. There are also other bars/clubs in the area where the younger crowds do not venture.

Gamedays are of course what you'd think they are. Big, loud, crowded, fun. The whole city is painted even more orange with all the people walking around. Getting to tailgate with the Volunteer Navy is always fun.

Being a town of 160k or so, there is a supply of girls. You could probably snag an undergrad looking for her mrs degree, but it seems there is a solid young professional class as well which would be more around your age if that matters to you.

Anyways, hope this helps and just ask if you want to know more. Zoony could also provide you with some help being a permanent resident here.

Keep in mind, I have a girlfriend but I expect to be single by the time I leave the state. This is also a two-year stint which may or not be followed by a 3-4 year stint pursuing the doctorate. Any encouragements, pointers or warnings are most appreciated.

Pursuing the doctorate, huh? Let's be honest, sounds like you're making time for some extracurricular stuff and have more than a passing interest in that student body. Um, go south. Warm weather=less clothing=more impetus to stay in shape. It's not that any school will not have any tasties, but it's a matter of percentage.

Pursuing the doctorate, huh? Let's be honest, sounds like you're making time for some extracurricular stuff and have more than a passing interest in that student body. Um, go south. Warm weather=less clothing=more impetus to stay in shape. It's not that any school will not have any tasties, but it's a matter of percentage.

FIU in Miami :)

Some people like to suffer in sweltering humidity half the year. I don't get it myself. :whoknows:

We just don’t go outside in the month of August :D. The rest of the year is all alright. Today is high of 71 low of 60. Sunny all week. I will take it.

Something has to be right about it. It seems like over the last 3-4 years half your state has moved to Austin. I would say 25% of Austin is relocated SF/LA people. Both my neighbors are from SF.

We just don’t go outside in the month of August :D. The rest of the year is all alright. Today is high of 71 low of 60. Sunny all week. I will take it.

Something has to be right about it. It seems like over the last 3-4 years half your state has moved to Austin. I would say 25% of Austin is relocated SF/LA people. Both my neighbors are from SF.

Well, if I had to move to Texas, I would go to Austin too. But as someone who grew up in the DC area, I have had my fill of humidity and bugs for a lifetime. I prefer California weather.

You are correct about one thing. California is going through a rough stretch right now, no question about it, and Texas is booming.

UCLA.

You would love it.

I'm sure in many ways, I would. But cost of living in that area would be beyond my ability to pay for, I think, unless I were there getting the support that doctoral students often receive (and right now, I'm not sure how much California is going to be doing that.) And honestly, if I'm going to get that kind of support, I'd rather come out ahead than even in a cheaper place.

As for me heading to the South to enjoy humidity and bugs, remember that I'm not talking about LSU! :) From what I've read Knoxville is just fine, just more mild than the arctic wastes of Iowa (which sometimes, not always, turn into the African savannah during the summer) and even Athens apparently gets a mild version of four seasons.

It's not that I love humidity, it's just that living in, say, Pittsburgh is not my idea of fun and I've lived in Philly. Most of my closest friends are still there but I would like to live in a place (kinda like now) where I'm essentially not worrying about break-ins, car thefts and being robbed at gunpoint because now I'm Charlie Student-Target.

Though Iowa City is actually OK, if I'm going to continue on in school, I'd like to be in a more enjoyable, cheap place to live. Surprisingly, IC is much more expensive (from what I've read) than living in some of those southern college towns I mentioned. But that might be because all the jerks from Chicagoland who come here for school inflate the costs.

What program are you going into?

It seems a bit more logical to me to direct your focus on getting into the best program in your field, then considering locations once you've found the schools with the programs that you like best.

This was my strategy when deciding and I'm really happy I went that route because I enrolled in a program that fit me perfectly. That far outweighed the fact that I hated the area the school was in...

What program are you going into?

It seems a bit more logical to me to direct your focus on getting into the best program in your field, then considering locations once you've found the schools with the programs that you like best.

This was my strategy when deciding and I'm really happy I went that route because I enrolled in a program that fit me perfectly. That far outweighed the fact that I hated the area the school was in...

I agree for the most part. I would also try to attend school in a geographic location where you wouldn't mind residing when you graduate. Of course this is less important if you are almost certain to go on to further schooling. However, it is much easier to find jobs in locations that are very near to the schools where you were educated.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the program was Higher Education Administration. I probably deleted it when first typing it up because I wanted people to focus on the locations and opinions rather than the "go with the best program." Honestly, I'm not a huge scholar, I don't plan on spending my life as a teacher, I want to manage people, plan programs, control budgets, etc--I have no desire to write papers and seek tenure. So many programs can work for me, I think. Auburn was a place I looked at but their program looks limited to EdDs and people looking to credential for teaching, so something like that stands out but I don't think I'm getting into Peabody at Vanderbilt but I can get into these other schools (and Iowa) I believe.

Austin is a really cool city. I mean, their slogan is "Keep Austin Weird". It's the live music capital of the world and you have a lot of great events such as Austin City Limits music festival and SXSW. Also, it was 74 degrees and sunny today, Ghost. I know that probably sounds good to you right about now.

College Station is meh. It's a small town filled with gross Aggies. I've been there a few times. Not much to speak of. From Austin, San Antonio is about an hour's drive and I think you can get to Houston in about two hours from there. Both of those places are nice to visit.

hhahahaa am I the only one that finds this funny?

Well, I realized it seemed strange but I thought I should acknowledge the fact that I've mentioned my girlfriend on the forum recently but that I didn't want advice about family living or couples activities.

Archived