Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Shanahan may retain Smith, Mitchell

bubba9497

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/jason-reid/shanahan-should-consider-smith.html

click link for entire article

Shanahan may retain Smith, Mitchell

As new Coach Mike Shanahan assembles his staff, he could consider two proven in-house candidates to coach running backs: Sherman Smith and Stump Mitchell.

Smith, who served as offensive coordinator during Jim Zorn's two seasons, formerly was the Tennessee Titans' longtime running backs coach. Former Titans all-pro running back Eddie George often spoke favorably of Smith, who was an NFL running back and Titans Coach Jeff Fisher tried to persuade Smith to remain in Tennessee.

Mitchell, also a former running back, coached the position the last two seasons for Zorn. He previously coached running backs for the Seattle Seahawks and contributed to the success of standout back Shaun Alexander. Although Mitchell has been offered the head coaching job at Southern University, he is eager to see what direction Shanahan takes with the staff, according to two league sources.

Goodell: Redskins in compliance on Shanahan hire

With reports that Pete Carroll has an agreement to coach the Seattle Seahawks, NFL Roger Goodell was asked before the Jets-Bengals playoff game about compliance with the Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview a minority candidate for head-coaching and senior front-office vacancies. Goodell indicated that the Seahawks are in compliance and, for good measure, addressed the Redskins' hire of Shanahan as well.

"They have in both cases," Goodell said, in a report filed by Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer. "I can assure you they have complied with the rule with the information that I have. I mean I've been in contact with them so they've been in compliance. I can't give all the details but they're in compliance."

Out with the old in with the new IMO...clean house completely.

Sherm Smith seemed arrogant and frustrated the entire season and obviously could not build a personal/professional bond with any RB on the team given the fact that 3 out of the 4 faces of our RB corps this year had public outbursts.

The only guy and Smith that should stay is Danny Smith.

Really? I feel this guy has failed the Redskins in numerous areas, kickers, return men and coverage units. I really don't see him as good.

HE kept ARE making fair catches too long. He went with Suisham and it cost us two games. The ST's need an upgrade and it starts with Smith leaving.

Keep the Kickers we have now and overhaul the rest.

As new Coach Mike Shanahan assembles his staff, he could consider two proven in-house candidates to coach running backs: Sherman Smith and Stump Mitchell.

I see no reason just to clean the slate unless it is an upgrade, both of these guys have the NFL acumen needed to build this team.

Well, if we look at the production of the street scrubs after Portis and Betts fell you could guess that our running backs coach did a heck of a job. Our running production actually increased after we lost our best players and Ganther and Mason actually performed well considering the entire league didn't want them.

Well, if we look at the production of the street scrubs after Portis and Betts fell you could guess that our running backs coach did a heck of a job. Our running production actually increased after we lost our best players and Ganther and Mason actually performed well considering the entire league didn't want them.

If he is so good, then why wasnt our running game as productive when we had our best players in?

I would say that the change in playcalling that led to more offensive production in total was the actual reason. Not our running back coaches

If he is so good, then why wasnt our running game as productive when we had our best players in?

I would say that the change in playcalling that led to more offensive production in total was the actual reason. Not our running back coaches

Perhaps, because he was an out of shape, unmotivated bum? (said with great love)

I have no problem keeping some of the coaches. No need to clean house just to clean house. We needed some new game plans and game callers and got that. We need a new D coordinator and will get that. Looks like he is going to replace the Dline coach. No problem there.

If we can get the Buffalo special teams coach then replace D. Smith. If not, keep him. Unless you can get a better coach, don't replace just to replace.

And, I think Shanny knows a little bit about assembling a staff.

Clinton "I don't practice" Portis was NOT our best player. The change in playcalling helped, but these streetbums' ability to make plays has a little something to do with their position coaches. I'm not saying keep them, that's up to Shanahan, but I wouldn't say they weren't part of some of the running success.

Two things.

#1) Bring in all new coach's. No one stood out not even Buges even though he had limited talent.

#2) Smith? Their thinking of keeping Smith? Yeah good call he's awsome, as a matter of fact he was so awsome they brought in Sherm Lewis. Now if you said they were thinking of keeping Lewis I'd say good pick he's pretty smart and single handedly almost turned this season around.

Just wondering.... when does Turners contract end? Maybe Shanahan is thinking I'll stick with Mitchell this year and next year when Turner is free I'll pick him up. The Bronco's are being dicks. Don't let Shanahan interview anyone but Kubiac can. Now Houston has both A.Gibbs OL and is looking to pick up Dennison as OC. Two of the best and we get screwed out of having a decent OL coach.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=11802040

Mitchell leaves Redskins, accepts at Southern U

WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins running backs coach Stump Mitchell has accepted the head coaching job at Southern University.

Mitchell met with new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan on Monday morning and turned in his final report on the team's running backs. Mitchell's agent, Burton Rocks, says Mitchell then started his drive south and plans to appear at a news conference in Baton Rouge on Wednesday.

Mitchell joined the Redskins in 2008, coming from Seattle with coach Jim Zorn. Zorn was fired last week and replaced by Shanahan, who is expected to overhaul Washington's coaching staff.

Southern fired coach Pete Richardson last month after a 6-5 season. Southern athletic director Greg LaFleur played with Mitchell on the St. Louis Cardinals from 1981-86.

http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=11802040

Mitchell leaves Redskins, accepts at Southern U

WASHINGTON (AP) - Washington Redskins running backs coach Stump Mitchell has accepted the head coaching job at Southern University.

Mitchell met with new Redskins coach Mike Shanahan on Monday morning and turned in his final report on the team's running backs. Mitchell's agent, Burton Rocks, says Mitchell then started his drive south and plans to appear at a news conference in Baton Rouge on Wednesday.

Mitchell joined the Redskins in 2008, coming from Seattle with coach Jim Zorn. Zorn was fired last week and replaced by Shanahan, who is expected to overhaul Washington's coaching staff.

Southern fired coach Pete Richardson last month after a 6-5 season. Southern athletic director Greg LaFleur played with Mitchell on the St. Louis Cardinals from 1981-86.

In other news Burton Rocks is a kick ass name...

Archived