Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the worst DC Sports have been?

MattFancy

This seems like the dark period for DC sports. With the exception of the Caps, the other teams are going through horrible times.

The Redskins just went through their worst season since 1994 when they were 3-13. The last two seasons have been tough on Redskin fans. After a great 6-2 start for Jim Zorn, he finished his Redskin career on a 6-18 tailspin. From the horrible Monday Nighter against Pittsburgh last year, to losing to the Lions who hadn't won in over a year, going 0-6 in the division, the horrible fake FG against the Giants, it was bad for the Redskins.

Then there are the Wizards. A team that many thought would be competitive this year and be a top team in the NBA. Well, they got off to a poor start and now it appears this are only getting worse. Arguably losing their best player, Gilbert Arenas, because he thinks its ok to store guns in the locker room and then pull them out in a joke on a teammate. The Wizards are stuck at the bottom of the East and it doesn't look like things will be getting any better this year. Maybe releasing Gilbert would be the best thing that could happen to them.

Finally, there are the Nationals. The Nats are coming off back-to-back 100 loss seasons. We all remember the "Natinals" moment and how bad that looked. Their play on the field wasn't much better. They did string together a big winning streak in the 2nd half, but that was about it. A lineup that doesn't have many stars might have gotten their biggest in the draft this year, Strausburg. The Nats have been through alot the last few years, the whole GM debacle wasn't what they needed. Things can only go up for them it seems.

The Nats and Redskins appear to have some hope in the future. Maybe if the Wizards start making some moves before the deadline to get rid of some of their bigger salaries. These certainly seem like tough times for DC sports fans, thank God for the Capitals!

Probably the darkest time I can remember for DC sports.

When all you have to root for is the hockey team, you know things are bad.

I'm not taking anything away from the Caps, but DC has never been a big hockey town. It seems like the Caps was more like a cult following. But now they are the big ticket in DC. Lots of Redskin players have been seen at Caps games recently. If the Skins, Nats, and Wiz don't get things turned around, DC could very well be a hockey town.

Nats always stink

DC United having down year for 2nd year in row

Wizards having down year for 2nd year in row

Redskins having down year for 2nd year in row

So yeah the only good teams around here are the collegiate basketball teams and the Caps...to answer the question probably. But there are other sports cities out there that have it worse than DC i.e. Cleveland

Probably the darkest time I can remember for DC sports.

When all you have to root for is the hockey team, you know things are bad.

And there in lies the problem. People's preconceived notions of hockey.

What other DC team has arguably the #1 athlete of the entire sport? Plays great at home? Is easy and convenient to get to? Has an owner that seems to genuinely care about the balance between winning and putting a great product out their for fans? That doesn't have the huge egos that some skins and wiz players have .....

I am ok with people not going to Caps games, keeps my ticket prices down :) But saying all you have to root for when this has been consistently the best team in DC for the past 3 years is a poor statement. Most cities would kill for a single team that consistently wins.

Nats always stink

DC United having down year for 2nd year in row

Wizards having down year for 2nd year in row

Redskins having down year for 2nd year in row

So yeah the only good teams around here are the collegiate basketball teams and the Caps...to answer the question probably. But there are other sports cities out there that have it worse than DC i.e. Cleveland

I don't even know if the college bball teams are doing much. Gtown is doing well so far, but UMD is having another bad year. The Skins were the last major team to win a title and that was in 1991-1992. DC has gone a long time in between titles.

I'm not taking anything away from the Caps, but DC has never been a big hockey town. It seems like the Caps was more like a cult following. But now they are the big ticket in DC. Lots of Redskin players have been seen at Caps games recently. If the Skins, Nats, and Wiz don't get things turned around, DC could very well be a hockey town.

If the Skins were in the playoffs and the Wizards were winning the Caps would definitely be on the backburner.

This will always be a football town...Fed Ex still sells out no matter how crappy the Skins are. The Caps would never be able to say the same. 5 years ago the Verizon Center was a ghost town when it came to hockey.

I don't even know if the college bball teams are doing much. Gtown is doing well so far, but UMD is having another bad year. The Skins were the last major team to win a title and that was in 1991-1992. DC has gone a long time in between titles.

Juan Dixon and the Terps would like a word with you ;)

If the Skins were in the playoffs and the Wizards were winning the Caps would definitely be on the backburner.

This will always be a football town...Fed Ex still sells out no matter how crappy the Skins are. The Caps would never be able to say the same. 5 years ago the Verizon Center was a ghost town when it came to hockey.

I agree that the Redskins run the city, but for how much longer? I think things will get better with Shanahan, but if they don't will DC fall out of love with the Skins? Maybe. The area is starving for a winner.

DC will never be a hockey town. There will be fans and hopefully a few shots at the cup. But even when they win, the Redskins will still be top dog.

I have never been a Nats fan, but the O's are just as bad...unfortunately.

The Wizards have just had injuries and face some really tough competition. At best they would have landed a 6 seed but it would not have been enough to carry them to the show.

Bad times indeed.

DC will never be a hockey town. There will be fans and hopefully a few shots at the cup. But even when they win, the Redskins will still be top dog.

The Wizards have just had injuries and face some really tough competition. At best they would have landed a 6 seed but it would not have been enough to carry them to the show.

Bad times indeed.

I'm an O's fan myself. I could've included them too I guess. But besides the Ravens and Caps, this area has been down for a long time.

Bad times indeed.

Winning cures all ills. If the Caps win a cup or two with Ovechkin and the Skins keep on their current debacle then yes DC will be a hockey town.

DC likes winners. As evidenced by the huge surge in ticket holders at the VC and the amount of fans feed up with the Skins.

Now if the Skins start competing again then obviously they are still top dog. But with the way DC is ... any winner will get the huge following.

Too early to say it's another bad year for MD

I include VT among a local DC team and they seem to be doing fine in both college football and basketball :laugh:

Just wait until Leonsis owns the Wizards and he overhauls them like he did the Caps. Complete with a red and white color scheme to create synergy between the 3 downtown DC franchises.

At least this is what I am hoping.

That would be interesting. The whole city color thing is kinda cool. Pittsburgh is the only city that has that. The Wizards need an overhaul of everything. Team, team name, and jerseys.

Winning cures all ills. If the Caps win a cup or two with Ovechkin and the Skins keep on their current debacle then yes DC will be a hockey town.

DC likes winners. As evidenced by the huge surge in ticket holders at the VC and the amount of fans feed up with the Skins.

Now if the Skins start competing again then obviously they are still top dog. But with the way DC is ... any winner will get the huge following.

Put it on an equal playing field. The Redskins injuries may have been the worst in all of football this season. I can't say that they would not have won 10+ games if healthy.

Winning does and certainly there would be bandwagon Caps fans and it would be the hot ticket. But if the Redskins were in the playoffs right now the Caps would take a back seat.

Everyone loves a winner, but you have to remember that DC is a transplant city. The Wiz games that sell out are against the Lakers, Celtics, Cavs, etc., nobody cares if they are playing the Nets, or Bobcats. All the Redskins games sell out.

That would be interesting. The whole city color thing is kinda cool. Pittsburgh is the only city that has that. The Wizards need an overhaul of everything. Team, team name, and jerseys.

They really need to be the Bullets again, (trying very hard not to make an Arenas joke haha).

It would be easy to go to a red and white color scheme and we could maintain an identity instead of going with something completely different again.

Just wait until Leonsis owns the Wizards and he overhauls them like he did the Caps. Complete with a red and white color scheme to create synergy between the 3 downtown DC franchises.

At least this is what I am hoping.

Ehh...He has been in charge for at least a decade. Abe was the owner and face. Ted was running things.

They really need to be the Bullets again, (trying very hard not to make an Arenas joke haha).

It would be easy to go to a red and white color scheme and we could maintain an identity instead of going with something completely different again.

Lol, I think they blew their chances with going back to the Bullets. I like the red, white, and blue idea. I'm glad the Caps went back to that too instead of the blue, gold, and black crap they had going on...like the Wizards. The Wizards need a name that fits in with DC. The Nationals and Capitals work. The Wizards, not so much. I guess the Redskins don't either, but they've been around way longer.

Archived