Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan Wants to Move Training Camp Away from DC Area

BryanS

well how 'bout it? I mean lets not kid our selves, staying in ashburn 15 mins from D.C., with the opportunity to go home to wifey at night, doesn't constitute as 'camp'. It sounds more like 'cream puff'.

Ashburn is 15 mins from DC?? yeeeeaaaa ok, maybe in a helicopter :silly:

To join the chorus of folks offering their property up for camp, my backyard is perfect! well maybe it is a bit small, and perhaps it is in Ashburn also...

I know! They could hold camp on the parade deck at VMI, lots of open space there, and we wouldn't have to do parades :D

I was hoping they would do this. After Zorn letting most of our veteran players go home every night this past camp, I thought it was a good move from the player comments.

Later on, watching ESPN's "Mort goes to camp," he went to the Colts' camp, where they were in the middle of nowhere, confined in a small area. Whenever Peyton started talking about how much he enjoyed sharing a dorm room with Dallas Clark, and how "going away" for camp helped the team come together, etc.,...I realized that Zorn ****ed up.

Side note: gotta give DeAngelo some credit for staying @ redskins park with the younger players than going home. At the very least, he understood the importance of it.

if the OP is referencing what Shanahan said in his pc, he needs to fix the title b/c that's not what he said

and......the quote is right in the pinned thread at the top of the page:

On his philosophy on having training camp at the team facility or going to an outside location:

“Well, I’ve done it both ways. I’ve had more success going outside because the Super Bowls that I’ve gone to, the championship teams I’ve been with, most of the time we went out to camp. In Denver, for a number of years, we were at the facility. I kind of enjoy going away if you can get the right environment. You’ve got to have the right fields, the right facility, the right meeting rooms and if that’s possible, I would like to go to a camp. But I’m not sure that that’s possible because you’ve got to have a quality field and you’ve got to be able to have meeting rooms. We’ll look into that and do the best thing for the Redskins.”

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/06/shanahan.ap/index.html

"

Things will surely be different under Shanahan. He said he'd prefer to move training camp away from the area, something the Redskins haven't done since 2003. He said he won't tolerate the kind of public bickering that surfaced in recent weeks from players such as

Albert Haynesworth and Clinton Portis. The roster includes major questions at offensive line, quarterback, running back and defensive back."

Archived